U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2015, 08:35 PM

78 posts, read 255,258 times

Advertisements

Looking to get some info/advice on above ground pools.

1) How come they are not that common in Las Vegas ? Is it the heat that makes the metal too hot ?
2) Are there any recommendations of local above ground pool companies ?
3) What are some of the options to cover up the sides ?

These pools seem to have become better from the models of the past years.

http://www.seaglasspools.com/olympic...ound_pools.htm
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 10:23 PM

682 posts, read 4,227,254 times
We have a Doughboy 24 foot round model. I like the old heavy duty design as opposed to these new funky pools that Walmart and everyone else is selling nowadays.
The sides of the pool do not get too hot being exposed to the sun.
As far as hiding the side, you could bury the pool down into the ground a little but the dirt cannot touch the sides, otherwise you have chance for collapsing.
Some people have issues with looking at above ground pools in their backyard, I however do not mind it and it looks quite nice with the deck and slide we added to it. The best thing about the pool is the fact that when the kids grow up and move on, I can take it down and sell it and move on like nothing was ever back there.
I have ours hard plumbed with a large pump and an oversized in ground pool type sand filter. We also have a solar heater on the roof that I actually plan to get fired back up in the next week or so.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:06 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,614,489 times
One reason many inground pools out here is they are not taxed (assessed) as real property like in many other states. Second many other areas do not have the 300 days of sunshine like us so having a pool open over 6 months a year is not fees able cost wise to invest in so above ground pools are the best bang for your buck. Third as you mentioned it can be taken down moved sold and etc if you get sick of the cost and time to maintain one and you do not have a huge expensive hole in your back yard. I believe the cost of maintaining a above ground pool is much less also.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:53 PM

12,615 posts, read 24,983,825 times
What about an hoa issue

Old 03-13-2015, 04:22 PM

5,314 posts, read 6,844,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
What about an hoa issue
I would assume it would be alright, as long as it is in the backyard.. I haven't heard of an HOA being THAT intrusive.. Although I'm sure the bad ones are.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:58 PM

47 posts, read 54,996 times
Have one, be prepared to install yourself. Not a lot of companies want to deal with above ground pools here. I know, I tried to hire it out but they would not touch the project. I suggest doing research on who could install for you before you order if you intend to hire for install. I hired out the ground prep, and put it up myself. But even the ground prep was not done right. I have to take it down and re-level or just cement the ground, not sure which way to go yet. Mine is in the back yard and not visible from anywhere outside the house. Don't have HOA so not even a factor.

I have one of those soft sided pools. Definitely not Walmart quality type. Pool was not level to begin with and went more off level after a heavy rain that cracked the paver stone supporting a few of the metal legs. The top metal rim was so bowed outward I thought for sure it's ruined. Also, I noticed a few stones poking while I was in it that I thought I was going to see holes and leaks soon but it held up. Kept using it after all that until before winter after which I drained it. Inspected the bottom and it was dry. The rim was also in good shape. The bowing did not harm it, it just flexed at the joint and snapped right back.

I would say though, that even if the pool was good, I would not buy it from the same company again. I still have one item I paid for last year that I have yet to receive. I was also promised 1 month delivery for a custom sized pool but received it 2 1/2 months later. If I were to do it again, I'd get the same type but different company. These type of pools have come a long way. Just do a bit of research on who you order from if you go this route.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:23 PM

12,615 posts, read 24,983,825 times
Prior to us building the inground, we had the walmart 299. Pool. No issues after a year...took it down sold on craigslist for 250 and built the inground

Old 03-13-2015, 07:36 PM

Thanks for all the replies. So it looks like it boils down to aesthetics for not having an AG pool.

While my kids are clamoring for a pool now, I do not think they will be that interested 1-2 year later.
That and the reason I can remove it easily are the two reasons I am looking to go this cheaper route.

Jangler - It is a bummer that there are no companies willing to install here locally. How much of ground
prep is needed ? I was thinking of having pavers laid and then the pool on top. Lastly, what is the
company to avoid ? (message me directly if you prefer).

Old 03-15-2015, 07:52 PM

47 posts, read 54,996 times
I feel exactly the same. I'm the ony one using the pool but If I ever loose interest I could always dismantle and sell it. No need to deal with a swamp and a huge hole in the ground.

As for your question, ground prep is labor intensive and very important. Imagine thousands of gallons of water weight on a lopsided container which is essentially what an above ground pool is. You could imagine what could happen. All that weight will find it's way to the lowest point. Some types are more forgiving than others. Mine is supposedly good to about an inch off. It was more than that when the paver broke. I would not keep it like that for too long though. Just google leveling ground for above ground pools. That's how I learned. I tried to do it myself but it was a bit much for me. As for your paver idea, I don't know about that. Pavers can shift under all that weight and if it shifts it enough so that some separate you'll have gaps that will expose sharp edges and harm the bottom. If the pavers were done meticulously and rock solid I suppose it can work. You'll have the same concerns on how level the pavers are set before you set the pool up. I don't know about everyone else's experience but I've been burn too many times. I just don't trust landscapers to be that meticulous. I've not seen a landscaper use a leveling transit (think that's what it's called). Which is why I'm considering cement since it is somewhat easier to level when wet. I'll DM you the pool company to avoid.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:44 PM

Thanks for the info and the DM.

By laying down cement, do you mean concrete with rebar and the whole setup. Doesn't that
get expensive and you need a professional ?

I DM'ed you the website I was looking at for the pool. They are in FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: