Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 01:44 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Nothing I'd seen in any other country I've visited could prepare me for what I saw in India.

I have driven in both Naples and Cairo. Cairo! I thought that is just about as bad as it gets. But I have friends who have driven in Naples, Cairo, AND New Delhi. They said New Delhi is a new level of awful. Cairo to the 10th power. Abandon all hope, ye who turn the key here.

But I'd put San Diego ahead of Cairo when it comes to bad drivers. SoCal, you're worse than flippin' Egypt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 08:17 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,787,376 times
Maybe everyone should have to retake a driving test upon getting a Nevada drivers license. If you have to get a work card a NDL could be done too. Simple fact is people are coming with years of experience or no experience driving in different conditions and the LV roadways are a mash up (pun intended) of this collective. It's easy to say how someone else SHOULD drive but whose to say? Maybe YOU (WE) are the problem but just don't know it. Minus all the stupid intentional drives that some people make.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:29 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,792,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Nothing I'd seen in any other country I've visited could prepare me for what I saw in India.

Dotted lines separating lanes are completely ignored. It's very typical to have three lanes of cars where there are two lanes painted on the pavement. On the freeway, lanes are sometimes spontaneously created in order to take advantage of an opening the width of a car plus 1/1000th of an inch.

People I know there are unwilling to spend a lot on a car, knowing the doors on both sides are going to get rubbed in traffic on a regular basis.

Then there was the family of five I saw on the freeway on a 125cc motorcycle, with an old diesel bus about 6" off their rear wheel.
Traffic in India is like a school of fish, and that's amazing given that scooters, tuk-tuks, cats, busses, trucks, and ox pulled carts all share the same roadway.

I once made the mistake of asking a tuk-tuk driver to step in it and I'd give him double the meter (more to see if the meter could work, it magically did), I'm certain I still have scars from where my female co-rider dug her nails into me while holding on for dear life.

Worst places I've driven: India>Korea>Hong Kong>Japan>Vegas>DC>Hawaii>South Carolina>Jersey>SoCal>San Antonio.

But that is biased as smartphone useage has risen year over year, so some of the lower ranking places on my list could certainly be worse now.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:41 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,679,690 times
If there were more two wheel vehicles, there be no issues. (:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4phFYiMGCIY

Old 03-17-2015, 08:47 AM

391 posts, read 1,030,109 times
Now I don't think we can compare any US driving to our brothers and sisters in up and coming (or down and going deeper) countries.

I have fond memories of my taxi driver going from the train station up to Ranikhet Hill Station (northern India). Mainly because I didn't die, but hey... Korea? I can honestly say I was much worse than the locals (a hooptie that you aren't worried about denting and understanding that it is all about nose position--who has it wins). Heard nasty things about Cairo, but I haven't made it there and won't anytime soon. Doing Mongolia this coming week, but while I understand the drivers are on par with other bad drivers, it can't be nearly as bad just because they don't have the populace. We shall see... (I'm not driving).

And I still have an irrational dislike of California plates (I know it isn't just because of the driving habits). That said, I'm with Von on San Diego. Cool place (Balboa Park is another favorite of mine there).

Old 03-17-2015, 08:57 AM

930 posts, read 1,818,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
If you are second in line at a red light and the car in front of you doesn't leave immediately when it turns green that might be me.

Where we moved from everyone learned to count to three before leaving a red light. Odds were a car was going to go through the intersection and T bone you if you didn't.

nice thought but if you dont accelerate the split second it turns to green, then the ahole behind you will honk! had this happen many of times in this city. everyone in a big hurry to get to the next red light or trying to time the greens.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:15 AM

165 posts, read 209,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Where are all these roads where people speed? I keep getting behind people doing 10 under.
Same roads, different time of day. I had to make a last minute run to Home Depot Sunday night so I could finish my new kitchen faucet install. Traffic on Rainbow is usually moving at 10 over the speed limit. At 8pm Sunday there were a bunch of cars doing 10 -15 under. I suspect 75% of them were drunk or elderly since their lane control was as bad as their speed control.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:46 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvc8 View Post
nice thought but if you dont accelerate the split second it turns to green, then the ahole behind you will honk! had this happen many of times in this city. everyone in a big hurry to get to the next red light or trying to time the greens.
Don't care. I'm in front. You wait for me.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:20 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Besides, I'd rather be rear-ended by an impatient nitwit doing 5 mph (How fast can the driver accelerate when there's only three feet of space?), than be t-boned by a maniac driving 70 mph through a red light.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I've almost been rear ended in this town because I actually stop for red lights and the driver behind me assumes I'm going to run the red because that's what he or she does. Sometimes you can see the smoke coming out of their wheel well -- because they're not even slowing down for the light. Blowing through red lights is their plan.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:55 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,568,409 times
I've talked about the driving here before. I came from Massachusetts and while people by and large would drive aggressively, they also by and large drove intelligently. I noticed far less wrecks. Far less people drag racing at every green light. Far less darting between multiple lanes all at once. Basically, far less stupid arrogant behavior. Driving in a parking lot here is a nightmare, period. I seriously doubt Vegas is the worst place for driving but it does seem to be getting worse now that the economy is improving and we're taking on far more drivers than we're losing.

I also agree with the assertion that many of the traffic lights are timed terribly. You're definitely bound to have people running red lights when they've had to sit through 3 or more light cycles just to get through an intersection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: