Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 01:28 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,549,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
why would there be 24/7 access... if its for sale, wouldn't there just be open houses... other than cars checking it out from the street, i don't see the big deal....

but i agree, if the tenant wants out, let them out....
The potential for the house to be shown at any given time is there. Once the listing is put on MLS either the tenant's # is given or the landlord would ask to be called first and then she'd contact the tenant for the listing.

Either way this is not a good system. The house needs to be empty to get the most exposure for potential buyers. The house having a tenant inside is often why the house sits on the market. At least an owner has a motivation to allow people to view the house even at inconvenience to themselves, but a tenant does not see any benefit to being inconvenienced like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 11:31 PM

4,154 posts, read 4,170,113 times
Please get a written notice from her.

I went through one myself that my tenant told me she is moving by end of the month, I said OK and took her words for it. It ended her home has problems and cannot move in as planned. She didn't moved and denied she requested to leave.

Worst was I had a new tenant moving in.

Finally got them out a week later and new tenant moved it. It was ugly.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:02 AM

2,880 posts, read 2,804,494 times
there isn't 24/7 access if a tenant is in place... they need 24hrs notice before the owner or realtor/buyer shows up

always get everything in writing, this is just common sense

Old 03-19-2015, 08:43 AM

7 posts, read 11,071 times
If your tenant signed, say, a one year lease with you... then didn't you also sign a one year lease with her?

I have no idea about the legality of it (depends on the verbiage in the lease), but it seems pretty low to enter a one year lease and then decide a few months later to sell the house. From an ethical point of view, you should have let the lease run it's course, and then not renewed the lease and sold at that time. A contract goes both ways. Moving is expensive and time consuming. She thought she had a home for a year (or whatever the term was), and you're unilaterally trying to take that away from her.

Now that the conflict has started, I agree with some of the other advice: "Buy her out" and make it easy for her to leave on good terms. Starting a battle with a tenant is almost always a bad idea.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:57 AM

561 posts, read 680,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SundialSkies View Post
If your tenant signed, say, a one year lease with you... then didn't you also sign a one year lease with her?
Actually, OP said he/she did tell the tenant they didn't need to worry about anything. It was the tenant's decision that going through the sale process was something she didn't want to deal with.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:57 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,781,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SundialSkies View Post

I have no idea about the legality of it (depends on the verbiage in the lease), but it seems pretty low to enter a one year lease and then decide a few months later to sell the house. From an ethical point of view, you should have let the lease run it's course, and then not renewed the lease and sold at that time. A contract goes both ways. Moving is expensive and time consuming. She thought she had a home for a year (or whatever the term was), and you're unilaterally trying to take that away from her.

Now that the conflict has started, I agree with some of the other advice: "Buy her out" and make it easy for her to leave on good terms. Starting a battle with a tenant is almost always a bad idea.
The tenant won't be having anything taken away. Rental homes get bought and sold all the time. The new owners are required to honor the lease until its duration. I believe the OP even mentioned that..

Old 03-19-2015, 09:38 AM

2,928 posts, read 3,549,370 times
Only investors will consider purchasing the property with a tenant already residing, you are lowering the potential of maximizing your profits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: