Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Barack or Hillary?
Barack 18 51.43%
Hillary 17 48.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 09:29 PM

4 posts, read 8,921 times

Advertisements

I'd like to congradulate Ron Paul for his outstanding 2nd place finish today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 09:35 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libradue81 View Post
I'd like to congradulate Ron Paul for his outstanding 2nd place finish today
Next to Hilary the most interesting thing in this process.

We continue to have this 10 or so percent that is true libertarian...passed all judgement and good sense. Something buried in Nevada's roots.

Don't think it is ever going anywhere but it does add zest to the mixture.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:37 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,340,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia B. View Post
radraja--

I tried to rep you but couldn't. Dang!

I feel as you do regarding these matters. Thanks for speaking out! (And yes, you're right. Hillary is originally from Illinois; moved to Arkansas with her husband; then they moved to NY state after DC.)
Julia,

How was the caucus for you? I talked to a few people today who got frustrated that there was no coordination and it took in one instance over 2 hours to get a vote together.

What bothers me about Hillary is that she wants power. She has made sure that she was the person to take over Monihan's (sp) seat once he became sick and eventually passed knowing that New York is highly democratic plus it is a state that carries a lot of electorate votes. She is a smart, shrewd woman who knows how to play the game, plus she is a terrific salesperson on how to influence people to respond to her. The issues I have with her are when she quotes her "35 years of experience" in dealing with today's issues.

Does this mean that Obama is the clear choice, no. I don't have any clear choice on any candidate in either party, I have voted for Reagan, Bush (41) as well as Bill Clinton. I just think that Hillary is for herself first then she will position herself to make her legacy stand out, I just don't see anything dramatically changing with her in office.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:58 AM

159 posts, read 478,716 times
Hey, Golf!

I posted about my caucus experience on the "Anyone caucusing at Keller MS" link.
I'll add here that there were glitches that had to be worked out--including the problem of precinct workers who couldn't project their voices, even with a megaphone! (I'm fron NJ, where no one has that problem...hee-hee.)

I appreciate what you're saying about Hillary. Before I comment, please know that I'm not out to convince any Dem or anyone voting Dem this time about who to vote for. I've stated (in comments in the SUN and elsewhere) that I believe people will be voting their hearts, regardless of attempts by others (party hacks, unions, and other organizations or individuals) to force their vote. I don't think anyone's freedom of choice should be inhibited.

From my own personal minor experience (Dem. committeewoman in my ward) in politics, in Jersey City, NJ, I can say that the respective party machines are ruthless and powerful...mainly thru the apathy of the voting populace. So a Dem who's worked his/her way thru the machine would have to be pretty tough by nature to have gotten anywhere. And in NY-NJ, you have to be a strategist, too. Pols are always "positioning" themselves. (I think this party-machine stranglehold is coming to an end, but that's fodder for another post!)

To us in NY or NJ in those post-Clinton-administration days, it was no surprise that the Clintons would choose to settle in New York State. They knew that, overall, they'd be accepted there and would not be derided over the Lewinsky affair (btw, I edited Monica's mother's book on the Three Tenors, shortly before that whole affair came to light). So what looks like carpetbagging to a lot of the country wasn't viewed that way by the majority of New Yorkers (and Jerseyites). (Hey, even the Duchess of York has stated that she feels more accepted in New York )

I obviously can't speak for Hillary, but I can tell you how I interpret that "35-year" bit. She's 60 years old now. She's culling the experience of a lifetime, post law school, of working toward the public good, for causes like the Children's Defense Fund, and her political experience, which also includes having been first lady of Arkansas. If I, who am 52 years old, were running for office, I'd be touting my 28 years' experience--even longer if I go back to my days in high school--as an activist with results. To this I include my professional work experience, my life experience, and so forth.

She does pack quite the professional wallop, IMHO. I just don't get that she's in it all for herself. Every pol has to have a certain amount of ego drive, but really, she's subjecting herself to inordinate scrutiny and scorn and personal nasty invective. All for ego? Self- aggrandizement? How so? I can't help it, but when I watch her, especially in person, I see someone who is genuinely compassionate, passionate, and juiced to help out. And frankly, regardless of who gets the nomination, the hue and cry for change in the way things are done in DC has been too loud for any Dem to ignore.

With the people now beginning to breathe down the pols' backs on both sides of the aisle, I think we'll see plenty of change. (And, of course, everyone hopes it's the change that they personally want to see happen.) For any Dems' legacy to stand out in the White House, they'll have to bend to the collective will of the people. Thanks, I think, mainly to Edwards and Obama, there's no going back.

That's all just IMHO.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:28 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
Obama for me. 100%. Hillary if I must when faced with one of the goof balls running on the republican side.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:28 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post
Julia,

How was the caucus for you? I talked to a few people today who got frustrated that there was no coordination and it took in one instance over 2 hours to get a vote together.

What bothers me about Hillary is that she wants power. She has made sure that she was the person to take over Monihan's (sp) seat once he became sick and eventually passed knowing that New York is highly democratic plus it is a state that carries a lot of electorate votes. She is a smart, shrewd woman who knows how to play the game, plus she is a terrific salesperson on how to influence people to respond to her. The issues I have with her are when she quotes her "35 years of experience" in dealing with today's issues.

Does this mean that Obama is the clear choice, no. I don't have any clear choice on any candidate in either party, I have voted for Reagan, Bush (41) as well as Bill Clinton. I just think that Hillary is for herself first then she will position herself to make her legacy stand out, I just don't see anything dramatically changing with her in office.
My experience was actually pretty good. The precinct guys had a road map and once it was figured out it turned out fine. The first problem was the facility was too small. The room was packed. The second problem was that nobody knew how to turn on the PA system which works great in that room...if you can turn it on. Then they ran out of supplies and tried but were unable to gain more in time.

The bright side was that the precincts simply took control and self organized. We used musical chair seating to separate the groups and then counted off. Went very fast and cross footed to the sign in counts. Had the little discussion dividing up the Kucinich and Edward non-viable groups. And were out of there by 12:30.

I though starting out it was going to be chaotic..but it worked.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:29 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
I hope the Senator from New York is the Nominee from the Democratic Party.

She will be the easiest to defeat in the general election

Old 01-20-2008, 11:30 AM

4 posts, read 12,145 times
Obama all the way. I think it's great that Obama is half black and half white. I think it's a great time for us to have a more "real" type of president that represents the people of the U.S. His charisma is what we need to bring people together as well as his health plan seemingly to be on target. Yes, he's new but not necessarily inexperienced. He is highly educated and i think would end up being the best president the US has ever had by being both the people's champ and an effective and efficient leader. Hilary is fine, but i think Barrack fits NOW...Either way, this election is of monumental proportion.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:23 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
The making of a nightmare...

This will give you sleepless nights

Let me describe it to you briefly...

1. Hillary wins the Democratic Party nomination for President of the United States

2. Naturally, she wants to choose as her running mate someone with a lot of knowledge and experience in government and foreign affairs, someone
who is a seasoned campaigner who could bring a lot of strength to the ticket. Who better than Bill, her husband?!!!

3. Hill and Bill go on to win the election in November and the Democrats maintain control of the House and the Senate.

4. Hillary is sworn in as President on January 20, 2009. The next day, after all the inauguration parties are over, she calls a press conference to make an announcement: she is resigning as President!!! Bill, as the Vice President, immediately becomes President!!! This is all perfectly legal under the 22nd Amendment to the Constitution, for it states that "no person may be elected as president more than twice". Bill is not being elected for a third term but is merely serving out the remainder of Hillary's term --- all 4 years of it.

5. But wait! There's more! The following day Bill calls a press conference to make an announcement. He has chosen someone to fill the now-vacant office of Vice President. Guess who he picks? Why, Hillary, of course!!!

Old 01-20-2008, 05:47 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
I'm still undecided between Hillary and Obama.
I need some questions of my own answered truthfully by each of them. So how do I contact them? I'm sure they have people that answer their emails, so i won't be able to talk directly to either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: