Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 11:52 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,111,747 times

Advertisements

If you get with the right company, they will teach you the industry way to weld. The school will probably teach you a general way that may not work for certain trades. BUT, if you decide to do welding outside of say pipefitting, then being taught by the union might be a con.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 12:04 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,017,781 times
Congratulations to you! Very smart of you to have done what you needed to do to get the money to be trained. And a winter in ND is nothing to sneeze at. I hope you are successful!

If I was starting over I would be right there with you. I think welding/trades is a better bet right now than college.

Old 03-22-2015, 12:21 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,985,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
If I was starting over I would be right there with you. I think welding/trades is a better bet right now than college.
This is a big problem in America.

College is not necessarily for job skills. There are compelling reasons to attend school other than a flippin' paycheck. Reasonably bright people will find a way to financially thrive. (It may take awhile. But it will eventually happen. Keep saving and investing.)

College is for what happens after people learn to thrive and personal finance goes on autopilot. It drives me absolutely batty when people dismiss an art history degree as "useless." Having such a degree makes all the world's museums more interesting. That's hardly useless.

Think of the liberal arts as an insurance policy against a boring life. I haven't used my degree professionally for a couple decades now. I'm still glad I went through the effort to obtain it. It pays dividends every time I apply for a job.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:13 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,151,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
And a winter in ND is nothing to sneeze at.
That was definitely an experience for me. I was lucky that the company I worked for in ND had an open position available in LV. So it was a simple transfer with same pay.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:02 PM

661 posts, read 630,888 times
There is nothing wrong in getting an Art degree in college. Going $50k in debt for student loans to get that degree is ludicrous.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnftcret View Post
There is nothing wrong in getting an Art degree in college. Going $50k in debt for student loans to get that degree is ludicrous.
What's ludicrous is that people need to go into that kind of debt to obtain an education. Working ones way through isn't an option any more -- except at community colleges and similar. And although I'm a huge fan of the community college system, the fact that a motivated student cannot put themselves through a prestige university anymore is near the top of my list of what's wrong with America. And let's face it -- $50K won't cover an associate's degree at most schools.

When I was young, I was surrounded by "self-made" people -- small business owners and similar. Many of them would brag about how they succeeded without attending college. But in private, all of them to a man confided that they wish they had attended. Or they wished they had stuck with it and graduated. Privately, they lamented that they were deprived opportunities that graduating college might have given them. Some went back and graduated. Most didn't.

Also, when I was young, I knew a great many people who worked their way through medical school. That was once an option as well. I don't see much of that happening these days, either.

I fear we're going to continue this national tailspin until we start investing in ourselves again -- bridges and roads. But also investing in students. I never used to see such blatant contempt for education. That's only been happening during the last 20 years or so -- right about the time when the cost of a college degree skyrocketed.

Now it's just another thing that separates the haves and the have nots.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:08 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,977,927 times
We are going to continue this tailspin until we limit welfare, section 8 etc. There should not be "generations" of families receiving assistance... its the biggest fraud in this country. I dont know how many are getting that free house and living with others that work. That would eliminate them from the program.....1 year is more than enough time to get on ones feet.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:14 PM

They're a drop in the bucket. Seriously. A drop in the bucket.

I don't even concern myself with minor problems like welfare cheats and welfare queens. They exist, sure. Nobody is denying they don't exist. But the money we spend on such people amounts to a few bucks out of my taxes each year. Compare that to the money we spend on the F35 fighter program and corporate subsidies. That's a big chunk of change, which amounts to thousands of dollars out of my taxes each year.

Welfare queens are a convenient distraction for the thieves who rob us blind. They want us to be furious at welfare queens. It directs our societal anger away from the real source of our problems.

I think America would be much better served by having more educated citizens than less welfare queens.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:22 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,792,180 times
I would think the eventual outcome will be to follow the Europeans and provide education at least through college at little or no cost.

Basically the student loan programs are doomed. The graduates are not going to be able to pay them back. We in fact admit this by blocking bankruptcy. We are admitting that the graduates would be unable to pay off this debt to our normal standards so we have blocked that relief path.

Once the pressure becomes high enough we will see loan forgiveness and programs to provide tuition without repayment.

May end up a good thing in the end but painful to those trapped now.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:27 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,792,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
We are going to continue this tailspin until we limit welfare, section 8 etc. There should not be "generations" of families receiving assistance... its the biggest fraud in this country. I dont know how many are getting that free house and living with others that work. That would eliminate them from the program.....1 year is more than enough time to get on ones feet.
The problem of course is that it is a very expensive fix. No matter how you go about it a lot of money. Breaking the poverty cycle is hard and expensive.

Only way I see is to intercept the young generation and educate them in spite of their parents. And that sort of social action costs. But if you don't do it right it does not take as we continue to demonstrate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas