Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 08:53 AM

621 posts, read 538,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
You will discover that all the "nice" neighborhoods are basically the same.

You are going to see lots and lots of houses which look like this:

Without working backwards from the link to get the physical address of this particular house, there's really no way of knowing where this house is located. Most of the houses in town look like this.

People stress out over zip codes and development names for no particular reason (fear, I'm guessing). It's all just one big stucco Levittown. Try to find a house that doesn't have any major problems. If you don't like your neighbors, don't worry. Most of them will move in a few years and be replaced with a new crop of neighbors -- who will ALSO move in a few years.

If you buy in the current "trendy" community, it will cease being trendy after a few years. And then you can either stay, or join the herd as they move to the next trendy community. (Which led to one of the best comments of all time, "I'm going to move to The Paseos because I don't want to hear any Spanish.")
I'm less worried about trendiness. I'd like to find an area that has lower crime. I know no area has zero crime, but I don't do things like stroll around at 2 AM anyway, so the kind of crimes I'm worried about are burglaries and auto thefts/break-ins.

Last edited by Grumpypotpie; 03-30-2015 at 09:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 09:27 AM

698 posts, read 985,773 times
Have you considered renting a condo downtown? Not sure what prices are like but in my opinion it would be a cool place to live. In-fact, wife and I have talked about down the road selling our place and buying a condo in that area.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:34 AM

621 posts, read 538,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qingguy View Post
Have you considered renting a condo downtown? Not sure what prices are like but in my opinion it would be a cool place to live. In-fact, wife and I have talked about down the road selling our place and buying a condo in that area.
I don't think I want to be THAT close to the strip or downtown. I'd like to be at least a few miles away. It will be great to have such things close but I don't really want to be there everyday.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:49 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
The standard rental for a job at UNLV would be to head south. Basically get south of Sunset. 89123 (Silverado) is straight south of the strip and tends to a younger demographic.

89074, 89012 and 89014 are the Henderson offerings. 89012 is best but may prove too expensive. The other two are a little older but very nice.

The SW will also work particular along west Trop.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:18 PM

243 posts, read 628,897 times
Most places in the valley are within 30 minutes commute to UNLV, but Vegas doesn't tend to have the same traffic patterns as other cities, so you never know when the freeway will be a parking lot (not that often). It can happen at 8 AM and it can happen at 2 AM. It's a 24 hour city. Best areas for you sound like GV, Henderson, anywhere in the south end of town, possibly far east end of town - the area near the stadium, although it's a bit out there. I lived in the far north end of town near lamb/pecos and used to commute to GV every day for work and then to UNLV for class, and then home. Took me 45 minutes to GV and then usually ~20 from GV to UNLV via surface streets. UNLV to home was another ~20-25.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:23 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
You will discover that all the "nice" neighborhoods are basically the same.

You are going to see lots and lots of houses which look like this:

Without working backwards from the link to get the physical address of this particular house, there's really no way of knowing where this house is located. Most of the houses in town look like this.

People stress out over zip codes and development names for no particular reason (fear, I'm guessing). It's all just one big stucco Levittown. Try to find a house that doesn't have any major problems. If you don't like your neighbors, don't worry. Most of them will move in a few years and be replaced with a new crop of neighbors -- who will ALSO move in a few years.

If you buy in the current "trendy" community, it will cease being trendy after a few years. And then you can either stay, or join the herd as they move to the next trendy community. (Which led to one of the best comments of all time, "I'm going to move to The Paseos because I don't want to hear any Spanish.")

Levittown...love that Scoop!

Old 03-30-2015, 12:26 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
The standard rental for a job at UNLV would be to head south. Basically get south of Sunset. 89123 (Silverado) is straight south of the strip and tends to a younger demographic.

89074, 89012 and 89014 are the Henderson offerings. 89012 is best but may prove too expensive. The other two are a little older but very nice.

The SW will also work particular along west Trop.
This and Spring Valley! Both good ideas. Do a lot of driving and looking while you are here.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:56 PM

15,838 posts, read 14,472,390 times
There are a couple of condo complexes on the south strip (LV Blvd, south of the airport.) If you don't want detached SF house, these could do well for you. They'd be a very quick trip to UNLV. The two I'm thinking of are Park Avenue and Manhattan (yes, they seem to have an NYC theme going.)

Old 03-30-2015, 04:27 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpypotpie View Post
I'm less worried about trendiness. I'd like to find an area that has lower crime. I know no area has zero crime, but I don't do things like stroll around at 2 AM anyway, so the kind of crimes I'm worried about are burglaries and auto thefts/break-ins.
For a city our size, we don't have that much crime. It exists, sure. But we're not Miami by any stretch. There's only so much you can do, and there is no magic neighborhood in your price range that is crime free. Even the super-high-end communities have some crime. (Some very high-visibility crime, at that.)

The best observation about crime and Las Vegas came from the user, Dynimage, who said, "If the crime happens to a neighbor, it's a low-crime neighborhood. But if the crime happens to you, it's a high-crime neighborhood."

That's basically how it works.

Living in a gated community is statistically useless as a crime deterrent -- unless it's armed guard gated and that means very high HOA fees.

You're only going to get so much for $1,000-1,200 per month. The neighborhoods in that range all look like they were whacked with a clone-stick. The trick is making your house slightly less desirable from a burglar's point of view than your neighbor's house. There are thousands of ways to skin that particular cat.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:22 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,637,545 times
UNLV
if you take Trop is a 12 min commute from Spring Valley.
Yes, it is considered West.

Look for open houses, look for apts for rent (avoid Craigslist, lots of scams)
Have lots of references, and money for a few month deposit, cash is king here.

also take a look at house rentals, There is something having your own place, instead of being trapped in a box.

Jonathan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas