Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 08:50 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
There is just no way bananas are going to work here without a greenhouse. Bananas need humidity and lots of it.

Add to the fruit list: kumquats, figs (which just go gangbusters here), limes, tangerines. My mother in law also has a ton of asian fruits going -- jujubees and similar.

Then we have nut trees -- almonds, pistachios, pecans all do well here also.

Things you wouldn't think about do well here -- romaine lettuce. Dill. Parsley in the winter. Basil in the summer.
I've had no luck with limes. Both trees died when summer hit. Agreed on the veggies and herbs. The only herb I won't fuss with anymore is cilantro. It's cheaper at the Mexican markets.

Melons, properly watered, go gangbusters here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 10:30 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Our lime is doing fine -- but has yet to produce. Meyer lemons on the other hand... want some lemons this winter?

Old 04-01-2015, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Our lime is doing fine -- but has yet to produce. Meyer lemons on the other hand... want some lemons this winter?
Hell yeah. I love lemons.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:13 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Bananas - no way; nor do cherries grow here. Not enough cold nights for cherries, not enough rain and humidity for bananas.

But there are lots of Mexican Bird of Paradise bushes in my neighborhood, although I managed to kill mine. They go dormant and look pretty bad until they decide to bloom again. Can't remember if they go dormant in the heat of summer, or just when it happens.

I've had my best luck with peaches and apricots. Apples obviously do very well, if you've ever been to Gilcrease Orchards. China Ranch Date Farm makes a lot of money on dates, and date products from trees to milkshakes. Figs do well, and pomegranates, as well as grapes, and olives. Pumpkins, squash (squorch), and tomatoes love it here.

A lot of it depends on the dirt you use, and how much you water, or don't water. And, whatever it is, the birds will beat you to it if you don't put netting over it.

Get The Nevada Gardener's Guide by Lynn Mills who lived in southern NV, and a guy named Post in northern NV. A lot of desert gardening books are by people in Arizona, and a lot of their ideas don't apply to here.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:22 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,490,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Yes, I know the Desert Bird of Paradise. To me the flowers look a little like tiny orchids. I was referring to the ones that have leaves like banana trees.

Maybe I will have to try these things in containers. Supposedly there are bananas that will fruit in a pot.

I have an area close to my pool with nothing in it. I am planning on working on improving the soil over the summer then planting SOMETHING next spring.
Canna grows fast if you want privacy around your pool. We used to have them at home. As far as Bananas, goodluck, perhaps if you plant them near the pool (for humidity) and away from the direct afternoon sun if might just work.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:26 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,490,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoknite View Post
You will get beautiful sweet/tart pomegranates with minimal effort.
Yes it will bear fruit year after year, my family have them and I never bother pick the fruit, it's just there on the tree till it rots.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:27 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
Yes it will bear fruit year after year, my family have them and I never bother pick the fruit, it's just there on the tree till it rots.
During pomegranate season, I saw "organic locally grown" for sale at Whole Foods for $6 EACH. With that kind of price, my harvest each year is worth hundreds.

We run the seeds through the food processor (with a plastic blade attached) to juice them. Easy, easy. Then we pour a little juice into our carbonated water every day.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:45 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,644 times
Quote:
During pomegranate season, I saw "organic locally grown" for sale at Whole Foods for $6 EACH. With that kind of price, my harvest each year is worth hundreds.

We run the seeds through the food processor (with a plastic blade attached) to juice them. Easy, easy. Then we pour a little juice into our carbonated water every day.
Pomegranate prices in all stores mystifies me. They are priced as if they are rare/hard to grow or something.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:

They make for nice home made jelly as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: