Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2015, 07:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,823 times

Advertisements

I going to move to Las Vegas from Florida in June. I have 1999 Camaro that have installed a Set of headers with an off road Y pipe with no cats. Is possible to register it in Las Vegas for street use? Thanks in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 08:27 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,312,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastsspr View Post
I going to move to Las Vegas from Florida in June. I have 1999 Camaro that have installed a Set of headers with an off road Y pipe with no cats. Is possible to register it in Las Vegas for street use? Thanks in advance.
You should fail the visual inspection, but in my experience many inspectors wouldn't notice, especially if you have the obdii sensor defeat plugs. Even without the cats it is hard to see from a parking lot inspection.

If your computer (check engine light) has any codes you will fail. They won't smog a 99, just hook up to check for codes and visual inspection only.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:33 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,989,097 times
you can fail without a check engine light.. you will have a cat system issue that comes up on obd without the check engine light.. the catalyst will show as not ready..

you will fail due to these systems.....
Spark ignition vehicles (Gas)

Catalyst (CAT)
Heated Catalyst
Evaporative (EVAP) System
Secondary Air System
Oxygen (O2) Sensor
Oxygen Sensor Heater
EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) and/or VVT System

Old 04-02-2015, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
you can fail without a check engine light.. you will have a cat system issue that comes up on obd without the check engine light.. the catalyst will show as not ready..

you will fail due to these systems.....
Spark ignition vehicles (Gas)

Catalyst (CAT)
Heated Catalyst
Evaporative (EVAP) System
Secondary Air System
Oxygen (O2) Sensor
Oxygen Sensor Heater
EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) and/or VVT System
True, but most cat deletes use a spark plug non fouler for the o2 sensors. No codes whatsoever, they have to catch it on the visual inspection.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:43 PM

it will fail on the cat, heated cat, and evap. i just put the whole list up..

Old 04-02-2015, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
it will fail on the cat, heated cat, and evap. i just put the whole list up..
None of that should be missing?? All he has is headers and no cats. O2 won't flag with the non foulers, what other sensor is he missing? Unless he didn't put the heated and non heated 02 sensors back in the pipes.

The computer won't have any codes. Are you just talking about what they could fail him on visual inspection?

I passed a 2005 import with no cat 3 years in a row, no hook up and nothing special besides the o2 spacer. Got sick of the smell and put the cat back on.

... Maybe I just don't know crap about a 99 Camaro. I can't figure out what else you'd have to pull for such a mild upgrade.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:14 AM

555 posts, read 775,092 times
Get an 02 defouler/simulator/spacer like the one pictured above and you should be golden for smog. Make sure you don't have any CELs. There is no visual or sniffer for OBD2 cars. Once you have the smog, go to the DMV and get your registration.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:41 AM

Im assuming straight pipes from the manifold back

Old 04-03-2015, 07:06 PM

670 posts, read 1,104,372 times
Re: Stored codes you can check that yourself with a simple hand held scanner or an OBDII to USB cable, laptop and some free software off the internet.

Assuming you are clear no stored codes the 2nd hurdle is the visual inspection. The smog hut I go to is pretty diligent about the visual inspection. They bring out the mirror on a stick if they can't see under the car. This of course all depends on where you go. I'm sure some are more diligent than others about the visual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: