U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2008, 05:28 PM

61 posts, read 307,403 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone, I like many others that posted here am curious about living in the las vegas area. My wife and I are starting a business, right now it is in the beginning stages of the whole thing. This business is designed to be more of a outdoor application. Meaning that the ability to do indoor work is there, the main componant is the outside which requires a warmer climate. Right now we live in a area of the county that is cold, and we have the 4 seasons, which would hurt the business in the winter months when it is too cold to apply our product outdoors. We have a 2 year old daughter, who of course will be starting school in a few years. My wife works in the insurance industry currently and would probably do that there. We are wondering where a good place to live could be so that we could cehck into it a little more when we are down there in March. Our price range for houses would be 200- 225 range, is there anything decent in a decent neighborhood there?? Of course we want to be in a safe neighborhood for our daughter how also has a good school for our daughter when that timd comes, Thanks for all your help, and any info would be great!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 11:34 AM

2 posts, read 5,564 times
I am personally from the Mid-West but moved to CA and lived there for almost 9 years. After that we moved to Las Vegas where we enjoyed calling LV home for 4 years before moving to NC where we only lasted for just over a year and felt that Las Vegas truely was our home and recently moved back. As you will see many people will say all sorts of horrible things about Las Vegas, about crime etc... but what they typically leave out is that it is a wonderful place for new business and if you love the outdoors it is a fabulous place to live; which it sounds like your business revolves around. Coming from a small town of just 60K people it was very strange to move to a big city with Millions of people but fell in love with everything I had access too. After years of asking my brother to move here with his wife and children he finally did. There are many different jobs and so anyone in search of employment that has experience and drive should have no problem finding a job.

My brother hated it here at first but now after 2 years he calls it home and is going to try starting his own business this spring. There is so much opportunity here, people are friendly and there is always something to do even if you don't gamble. As far as housing you will have no problem finding a nice home in a neighborhood you feel is safe for under 225K. Will it be a mansion with tons of upgrades, probably not but if you have vision of what you can do to the home as far as upgrading it in the future and making it yours you'll be happy. One of the best things you may want to do is rent for a year prior to buying that way you can really get to know the different areas and once you establish yourself you'll know more of what you want.

I personally love the Summerlin Area because of the wonderful access I have to shopping, hospital, parks and of course easy freeway access. I am really close to Red Rock and just a short drive to Mt. Charleston which is my get away in the Summer because when it gets really hot here in Vegas it is typically 10 to 20 degrees cooler in Mt. Charleston where I take my dogs hiking a lot. Good Luck and if you want more info just e-mail me.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calandra1 View Post
I am personally from the Mid-West but moved to CA and lived there for almost 9 years. After that we moved to Las Vegas where we enjoyed calling LV home for 4 years before moving to NC where we only lasted for just over a year and felt that Las Vegas truely was our home and recently moved back. As you will see many people will say all sorts of horrible things about Las Vegas, about crime etc... but what they typically leave out is that it is a wonderful place for new business and if you love the outdoors it is a fabulous place to live; which it sounds like your business revolves around. Coming from a small town of just 60K people it was very strange to move to a big city with Millions of people but fell in love with everything I had access too. After years of asking my brother to move here with his wife and children he finally did. There are many different jobs and so anyone in search of employment that has experience and drive should have no problem finding a job.

My brother hated it here at first but now after 2 years he calls it home and is going to try starting his own business this spring. There is so much opportunity here, people are friendly and there is always something to do even if you don't gamble. As far as housing you will have no problem finding a nice home in a neighborhood you feel is safe for under 225K. Will it be a mansion with tons of upgrades, probably not but if you have vision of what you can do to the home as far as upgrading it in the future and making it yours you'll be happy. One of the best things you may want to do is rent for a year prior to buying that way you can really get to know the different areas and once you establish yourself you'll know more of what you want.

I personally love the Summerlin Area because of the wonderful access I have to shopping, hospital, parks and of course easy freeway access. I am really close to Red Rock and just a short drive to Mt. Charleston which is my get away in the Summer because when it gets really hot here in Vegas it is typically 10 to 20 degrees cooler in Mt. Charleston where I take my dogs hiking a lot. Good Luck and if you want more info just e-mail me.
Hi Calandra1,
My name is Karla and I have live in San Diego California all my life. Now that I have my own family; my husband and I are seriously thinking about moving up and we have decided to move to Las Vegas. Well due to how economy turned upside down San Diego we believe Las Vegas will help us caught up. I am kind of scared because I dont know anybody there and moving up there with my 4 year old boy and my 6 months old baby girl may not be as easy. As far as my husband he is easy to cope with any changes but i am scared because of how life may be. I was reading your message and I am hoping to get more information from you. My husband is a plumber and he is hoping to get enough sources to probably open his own business. I worked in a corporate office as accounts payable. And if I move to Las Vegas I am hoping to get good advice of good areas, good schools and job opportunities. I will appreciate your time and information.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:52 PM

4,176 posts, read 5,940,564 times
If you're moving to Vegas, maybe you can rent for the first year and keep an eye out for houses during that time. House prices will almost certainly continue to decline the next 12 months in LV, so there's no need to buy now. You might be able to get some nice incentives, etc.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:01 PM

10,439 posts, read 47,534,502 times
Wow 4 posts so far and you know who has not answered yet? I guess they both have clients today.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:43 PM

150 posts, read 607,647 times
225K will get you a decent home now. As far as waiting, it is a good idea, but watch interest rates as well as home prices over the next 6 months. While it is nice to save another 15K on a house by waiting, you have to balance that with your interest rate for the cost over the long haul. I think the next4-6 months are going to be the perfect storm for house prices and interest rates. Be careful though, many many of the houses are foreclosure sales, which are "as is", etc.

Anyway. There are alot of nice areas around. And even though Summerlin is touted alot as THE place to live, there are many many nice areas. Each with its up and downs. I was out by Summerlin. But now with the horrendous traffic driving from there and little lots, we moved to Henderson where the commute is quicker even though the house is farther. Plus we got .25 acres.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:46 PM

150 posts, read 607,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
If you're moving to Vegas, maybe you can rent for the first year and keep an eye out for houses during that time. House prices will almost certainly continue to decline the next 12 months in LV, so there's no need to buy now. You might be able to get some nice incentives, etc.
New home builder inventory from overbuilding spec homes is gone. I hear is back to normal so those outrageous sales we saw a couple months ago are pretty much over, though you can get some awesome deal on canceled contracts that people dumped out on after the builder got their home done. If you can catch a canceled contract in a new builder area you can save 30-100K.

I read that regular home owners who are not pushed to sell have taken their homes off the market to allow the foreclosures to run their process this year. So you will see a ton of foreclosures for sale that are deals.

Its so funny, everyone keeps telling buyers to wait a year. Wouldn't it be funny if all the foreclosures cleared out and then a ton of new buyers jumped in because the year was up and another housing shortage happened? LOL. Builders have pulled so few permits, there definitely wont be a glut of new homes next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: