Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2015, 03:44 AM

213 posts, read 422,147 times

Advertisements

I might just go ahead and bite the bullet. My friends have been pressuring me to leave Florida for a long while now, and my friend in Vegas have been pressuring me to move out there the past few years. I will be done with my A.S. at the end of the month too so I can finally leave even though I still want a Bachelors, but I am willing to finish up at UNLV.

I plan to make a trip out there either next month or the month after to knock on some doors and look at a few apartments, and possibly meet with advisers at UNLV if I can get a chance.

I do have a question. As a non resident, what kind of jobs would hire someone out of state willing to relocate? My experiences is mostly television and some theater (arena work mostly) and my degree is in Networking/ Data Forensics, but when I hit up UNLV, my Bachelors will be in something different anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 05:10 AM

844 posts, read 1,440,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centauri View Post
I might just go ahead and bite the bullet. My friends have been pressuring me to leave Florida for a long while now, and my friend in Vegas have been pressuring me to move out there the past few years. I will be done with my A.S. at the end of the month too so I can finally leave even though I still want a Bachelors, but I am willing to finish up at UNLV.

I plan to make a trip out there either next month or the month after to knock on some doors and look at a few apartments, and possibly meet with advisers at UNLV if I can get a chance.

I do have a question. As a non resident, what kind of jobs would hire someone out of state willing to relocate? My experiences is mostly television and some theater (arena work mostly) and my degree is in Networking/ Data Forensics, but when I hit up UNLV, my Bachelors will be in something different anyway.
Las Vegas is the fastest growing city in America.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:00 AM

399 posts, read 562,832 times
If you have a job, and can finish school in Florida - I would not move to LV without guaranteed employment and attend UNLV.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:55 AM

15,822 posts, read 14,460,687 times
Chances are, you'd have to move to LV without a job, establish residency, and then try and find a job. LV employers don't like hiring out of towners.

What's your AS in (meaning is it something that would be particularly useful in Vegas)?

Old 04-10-2015, 08:15 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,780,695 times
There is PLENTY of A/V work (if that's the type you mean by tv and arena work)..

Freeman and their subsidiary Encore are the 2 big players in town in this field, and pretty much have a monopoly for a/v production in the major venues. However, there are quite a few independent houses as well (I work for one). As Freeman, Encore, and a few others here in town are National, with a presence in LV among many other cities, it might be easier for you to secure employment prior to moving, as you can meet with local offices near you.

Hope it works out!

Old 04-12-2015, 01:31 AM

213 posts, read 422,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
There is PLENTY of A/V work (if that's the type you mean by tv and arena work)..

Freeman and their subsidiary Encore are the 2 big players in town in this field, and pretty much have a monopoly for a/v production in the major venues. However, there are quite a few independent houses as well (I work for one). As Freeman, Encore, and a few others here in town are National, with a presence in LV among many other cities, it might be easier for you to secure employment prior to moving, as you can meet with local offices near you.

Hope it works out!
Hey thanks for the heads up. I do work a full time gig at the local airport, but I do arena work on the side. Mostly major concerts and events, and even then it is about 3 to 4 gigs a year. I mostly did it because it was fun and I was not after the money that much.

I already have a couple of options and one of them is a transfer to McCarren. I might figure out the other option.

Now as for school, my A.S. is in Networking with a Data Forensics concentration backed with a CCNA course. It currently not much, but it is better than nothing. One of my professors is pushing me to go out west and finish school elsewhere. Also a good friend of mine is living in Vegas have been harassing me to move out there the past four years also, so I figured what do I got to loose?

Yes I could go to other cities, but I like the desert and it is a different scenery although I will miss the ocean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: