Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 07:06 PM

654 posts, read 1,322,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I WISH we could get real haggis in the USA. Anyone who talks evilly about haggis should be strung up and forced to watch others enjoy the king of puddings.

Haggis isn't just the best food to come out of Scotland. It is one of the best foods on Earth, period. It is one of the greatest things invented by humans. (Right up there with violins and the cheerleader uniform.) I travel to Scotland just to eat haggis. And I eat some with breakfast, lunch and dinner, every meal of every day that I'm there.
+1. Wasn't sure that Scoop would like haggis, but glad to hear it ...

I used to work for a British company & tried Haggis the first time I had the chance ... it was SOOO good I overate & had a rock in my stomach the next day That's OK, didn't deter me ... had it several more times. Loved every minute of it. Even vegetarian haggis was good, tho I'll take the real stuff every time it's available.

Sometimes I disagree with Scoop, but I'm absolutely with him on this one. If I could find good Haggis around here it's a food I'd go out of my way to eat on a regular basis. I won't do that for many things. The Corned Beef Hash & Eggs - sauteed with real corned beef - at Grand Lux Cafe is on the short list ... come to think of it, so is the Shaking Beef at Grand Lux Cafe ... likely has something to do with how often I'm there ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 08:17 AM

427 posts, read 630,509 times
Thanks for the tip on this place! I took my parents (British) last week and had a great meal.
It's not the best looking place, inside or out, so my parents wondered what kind of place I was taking them to, but the food was wonderful. Lovely pastry. As a vegetarian I loved their selection of veggie pastys.... I had the curried chicken (quorn). Excellent.
We'll definitely be back.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:42 AM

638 posts, read 594,129 times
Also heard its good though not from an english person yet!

-The idea of these pasties was that coal miners would eat them, holding onto the crimped side with their dirty hands, and then just discard it.

In fact I have also heard tale of pasties that had pastry separating them halfway through, and there'd be apple and custard in the other half, so they'd have their main course and a dessert. I can't attest to the veracity of that though!

Funny story, a friends dad was in cornwall and picked up a box of freshly baked pasties to bring back to london and was caught speeding. When asked why he was going so fast he showed the box of the hot pasties to the police and they let him go!

-as an additional aside, has anyone been to Chada thai? I believe its an ex-employee of lotus, and its supposed to be excellent

Old 05-27-2015, 08:44 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,638,268 times
I hear they grind the meat three times in their meat pies, That's what makes them so good.
Isn't that right Mrs. Lovett??

Old 05-27-2015, 11:50 PM

720 posts, read 765,936 times
Be careful with your coriander, that's what makes the gravy grander...more hot pies!

Old 05-28-2015, 05:14 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,490,637 times
Chicken liver, heart, gizzards, beef tongue, bone marrow, beef liver, tripe, pig intestines, crispy minced pig jowl, pig ears, hocks, oxtail...............delicious!!!!

Old 05-28-2015, 05:16 AM

Let's not forget the tasty fish eyeballs and fatty fish belly, mouth watering!!

Old 05-28-2015, 08:58 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,784,829 times
I'll stick with rib eye, thanks

Old 05-29-2015, 04:35 AM

Just had Ribeye steak at SLS tonite, delicious with a side of garlic mash potatoes. Had some last week as well same spot same great melt in your mouth steak. You should check it out at Northside Cafe, they offer it for dinner around $25.00. Worth it for those too lazy to cook at home. I'll post photos later.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:38 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,784,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
Just had Ribeye steak at SLS tonite, delicious with a side of garlic mash potatoes. Had some last week as well same spot same great melt in your mouth steak. You should check it out at Northside Cafe, they offer it for dinner around $25.00. Worth it for those too lazy to cook at home. I'll post photos later.
Good to know! Although I really like the way my wife makes it. SO simple on the grill.. a little Worcestershire sauce for a bit of a glaze, then melted Gorgonzola at the very end. Ok, now I'm hungry for steak at 8:37a..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas