Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 12:12 PM

183 posts, read 861,487 times

Advertisements

Apparently the eastern news media establishment is getting the message ...

Network statements on pronunciation of Nevada
Quote:
RENO, Nev. (AP) -- Following are comments issued by major broadcast networks concerning the flap over the pronunciation of Nevada:

- "NBC Nightly News" reporter George Lewis: "Memo to all those political candidates trying to win votes in the Silver State: It's Nuh-VAD-uh, not Nuh-VAH-duh ... According to the official NBC handbook of pronunciations originally published during World War II, it's Nuh-VAD-uh."

- ABC's "World News Tonight" spokeswoman Andrea Jones: "We will pronounce it Nevada (Nuh-VAD-uh) as we've done in the past. ABC plans to use the local standard pronunciation of Nevada."

- "CBS Evening News" spokeswoman Sandy Genelius: "We try very hard to get pronunciations right. Our understanding is the correct pronunciation is Nevada (Nuh-VAD-uh)."

- CNN spokeswoman Barbara Levin: "CNN encourages our anchors and reporters to use the pronunciation that our affiliates in the state use."

- Fox News Vice President of News David Rhodes: "We know that the state is pronounced Nevada (Nuh-VAD-uh). We know that's the way people like it pronounced."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 09:07 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
Default one more view...

looking at it from the sports aspect
Quote:
ESPN spokesman: Nuh-VAD-uh, Nuh-VAH-duh...who gives a flying ****! If UNLV makes it into the top 64 of the NCAA tournament...we'll pronounce anyway we see fit based on our emotion at the time or reporting!

Old 01-23-2008, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,626 times
Fortunately some sports personalities always knew the proper pronunciation, Keith Olbermann, for example.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegaX25.3 View Post
Fortunately some sports personalities always knew the proper pronunciation, Keith Olbermann, for example.
Most of the NBC/MSNBC anchors pronounced Nevada correctly even before the debates. Since this email and internet campaign took off, most of the rest have been surprisingly quick in at least trying to remember to pronounce our state correctly.

I am most gratified that even a hesitant Joe Scarborough has changed his habits and now more often than not gets it right.

When the national news media "talking heads" start paying attention to proper pronunciation, they inevitably will serve as examples for the rest of the nation.

http://media.newsbusters.org/media/2007-06-19MSNBCMJMika.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-01-2008, 05:20 PM

Default inogolo - the pronunciation guide site

inogolo.com - the pronunciation guide site now includes two Youtube videos related to the recent Nevada caucus news coverage and pronunciation of Nevada.

inogolo - Pronunciation of Nevada : How to pronounce Nevada

Old 02-02-2008, 07:25 AM

416 posts, read 1,713,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New City V View Post

Video :: NBC News - How to Pronounce Nevada :: Las Vegas Mixx

You can open in "Full Screen" by clicking the button.

The bottom of my OpenVegas post shown on NBC News is here:

Nevada - listen here to pronounce it correctly - Open Vegas Forums (http://www.openvegas.com/vegas/forums/showthread.php?t=47440 - broken link)
Yikes, you actually make me want to start pronouncing it "Nuh-vahhh-duh".

Old 02-02-2008, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
What irratates me the most though is when people from Atlanta say they are from "Hotlanta".
That just makes me want to listen to the Allman Brothers.

Really, I don't care how people pronounce something.

"Oh, let's all be conformists and make sure everyone is and does everything the same!" . . . Boom!

Old 02-02-2008, 10:35 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DessertRat View Post
That just makes me want to listen to the Allman Brothers.

Really, I don't care how people pronounce something.

"Oh, let's all be conformists and make sure everyone is and does everything the same!" . . . Boom!
Just guarantees that you will forever be branded as a newcomer or an outsider sorry

Old 02-02-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Just guarantees that you will forever be branded as a newcomer or an outsider sorry
Right, and we should care a lot about how others brand us. Let's make sure we fit in with the in crowd.

Give me that big red A . . . or that yellow star . . . hmmm, which Sneetch do we want to be?

Heck, I call myself an "outsider" in marketing my artworks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: