Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 10:28 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,021,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I take 3 showers a day
You might want to read this article from the CDC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 10:48 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,675,638 times
Hahahaha. Thanks for your concern.

I train a lot throughout the day. (:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
You might want to read this article from the CDC.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:59 AM

930 posts, read 1,814,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
You sure about that? R/O systems typically use around four gallons of water to produce one gallon of filtered water. If your household uses 100 gallons per day inside the house, are you willing to increase that to 400 gallons per day to have R/O filtered water at every tap? Unless you already have a need for 300 gallons of water per day for say, irrigation, and can use the rejected waste water for that, whole-house R/O is just wasteful.

Tabletop R/O water system announced:

WaterO brings reverse osmosis drinking water to the kitchen table | TechCrunch

"The WaterO is a tabletop device roughly the size of a bread maker that utilizes reverse osmosis, a higher and more exacting technology than the carbon filters found on your everyday, run-of-the-mill pitchers from the likes of Brita or PUR...

The user fills up a pitcher from the tap and places it in the machine. The system goes to work running it through four separate filters, a process that takes around 10 or so minutes. Once finished, a screen displays the starting TDS (Total Dissolved Solids), a measurement of non-H2O particles dissolved in the water, followed by the post-filtration numbers.

Before the water reaches the fourth filter, it enters a recycling mode, helping reduce the water waste. In the company’s process, 80 percent of the water is made drinkable. The rest stays behind in a pitcher that can be used to, say, water the plants..."

Old 05-17-2016, 10:40 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,844,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvc8 View Post
Tabletop R/O water system announced:

WaterO brings reverse osmosis drinking water to the kitchen table | TechCrunch

"The WaterO is a tabletop device roughly the size of a bread maker that utilizes reverse osmosis, a higher and more exacting technology than the carbon filters found on your everyday, run-of-the-mill pitchers from the likes of Brita or PUR...
Sounds like a product for millennials (i.e. people who will never own their own homes and couldn't operate a screwdriver if their lives depended on it). The rest of us installed RO filters under the kitchen sink when we bought our houses and haven't thought about drinking water since.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:53 AM

2,880 posts, read 2,796,611 times
Quote:
Sounds like a product for millennials (i.e. people who will never own their own homes and couldn't operate a screwdriver if their lives depended on it). The rest of us installed RO filters under the kitchen sink when we bought our houses and haven't thought about drinking water since.
Just installed an RO system myself, but I missed out being a Millennial by a few years according to the technical definition, horay I guess.

I had to drill a hole through granite using a diamond hole saw. It felt similar to cutting circles in tile with a diamond blade angle grinder, so I had no trouble. Others without any experience may be intimidated.

Bought it from eBay from express water, I'm sure cheaper and more expensive 5 stage filters do about the same job. I didn't get a 7-stage for budget reasons

Here are the TDS results

483 = Tap
439 = 1y/o Whirlpool 1 Filtered Fridge
433 = New Mavea Filtered Pitcher
033 = R/O

I need to swap out my fridge's filter, but they are expensive and probably won't do much better than what it does now. Would be nice to see how much better PUR or Brita filter pitchers are, but I'm less inclined to spend any money on things like that since I have the R/O system

Previously, I would refill 5 gallon bottle at the Windmill stations for $1.50, which may actually be cheaper than running an R/O system since there is no maintenance and no sunk cost, but convenience makes the R/O more worthwhile by a huge margin imo

Old 11-30-2016, 11:59 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,844,892 times
There are plenty of other vendors of filters for refrigerators besides the mfgr, just look on Amazon or Ebay. I think the filters I bought for the old Kitchenaid fridge in our garage were 1/3rd the price of EveryDrop (Whirlpool's brand of filter for all their appliance brands) filters. Wouldn't be surprised if they all came out of the same factory in China.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:39 AM

243 posts, read 237,354 times
All salt/potassium softeners work the same way. I use Kinetico softener since it uses a DUAL resin tank system!! It works in my home very well as I don't have to meter my water or deal with a recharge as the other tank is on standby. Other than that ANY decent water softener will work as well minus the recharge time in the middle of the night.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:11 AM

472 posts, read 377,176 times
I ripped out my RO system when we redid the kitchen last month and installed a MAX Flow system. Great tasting, unlimited water at full pressure. It's amazing and love it.

https://www.ewswater.com/product/essential-max-flow/

Old 12-03-2016, 11:01 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,832,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickydim View Post
I ripped out my RO system when we redid the kitchen last month and installed a MAX Flow system. Great tasting, unlimited water at full pressure. It's amazing and love it.

https://www.ewswater.com/product/essential-max-flow/
The MAX Flow system removes the sanitizers (chlorine) and some other stuff. The source at the kitchen sink typically is hard water, so you'll probably end up with hard water without chlorine that leaves spots on drinking glasses, etc. Either way it still healthy. Its all personal taste.

Old 12-03-2016, 05:44 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,604,759 times
Quote:
There are plenty of other vendors of filters for refrigerators besides the mfgr, just look on Amazon or Ebay. I think the filters I bought for the old Kitchenaid fridge in our garage were 1/3rd the price of EveryDrop (Whirlpool's brand of filter for all their appliance brands) filters. Wouldn't be surprised if they all came out of the same factory in China.
I tried a 3rd party filter in our Samsung. Lord what a hassle. Ended up taking it back and getting the Samsung brand. Irritates the heck out me to have to pay that high cost (2x), but at least it works.

Since it gets water from the RO system I'm tempted to ignore the stupid red light that says it's time to change the filter. Problem is I'm sure it's full of gunky crap even with the RO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas