Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 10:54 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,679,431 times

Advertisements

There is one key difference.

Never go into a war that you are not guaranteed to win. This is different from trial and error of the 60's, where giants "thought" they could win.

So far Apple is winning the smart watch in just 2 days of sales. 2 million units???!?!? That's incredible and not surprisingly Samsung watches only 700K units for whole year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
That was also the business strategy of the sixties. Lots of diversified conglomerates who thought that they could take their operating and financial expertise, and apply it to any industry and succeed. It didn't work out very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 11:00 AM

Not necessarily true. Apple is the master of it's supply chain. Apple suppliers kneel and bow to Tim Cook.

Supply chain dominance is a key force in business strategy model.

Look at the Mac Pro computer. No way any DIYer can build a similar spec PC for the same price. The Mac Pro is priced starting at $2999. The graphics card alone will cost a PC builder $2499!!

The Retina iMac is a price break-through as well at $2499. You actually get the computer for freee!! Why? You can't even buy a 5K PC display monitor for under $3000.

Mac Pro and Retina iMac are actually bargains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDJeff View Post
The panels would have a nice industrial design, but cost double the competing packages and only produce power at a different voltage so you are locked in to buying all Apple appliances.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:13 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,116,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winter-rabbit View Post
Look at the Mac Pro computer. No way any DIYer can build a similar spec PC for the same price. The Mac Pro is priced starting at $2999. The graphics card alone will cost a PC builder $2499!!
BULLS&^& My computer out specs the macpro and I have less than half that in it including my 2 monitors, water cooled, external fan controller, and gaming case.

Mac Pro
  • 3.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5 processor
  • 12GB 1866MHz DDR3 ECC memory
  • Dual AMD FirePro D300
    with 2GB GDDR5 VRAM each
  • 256GB PCIe-based flash storage1
$2,999.00

Mine
4.2 quad core
16 gb hyper ram
gtx780 gpu
Samsung SSD
twin 2tb Western Digital green Hdd.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:16 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,638,268 times
HEY HEY FELLAS. lets not get into a pissin war over who's computer is better, Lets keep the topic ON topic.

Jonathan

Old 04-24-2015, 11:36 AM

You don't have XEON processors.

You can't power 3 x 5K displays.

The iMac 5K cost $2499 (with free computer).

The Dell 5K display cost $2499 ALONE.

Dell UltraSharp 27 Ultra HD 5K Monitor

Like I said, if you compare similar specs, you cannot build the system and match Apple's pricing.

Your computer does not have similar specs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
BULLS&^& My computer out specs the macpro and I have less than half that in it including my 2 monitors, water cooled, external fan controller, and gaming case.

Mac Pro
  • 3.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5 processor
  • 12GB 1866MHz DDR3 ECC memory
  • Dual AMD FirePro D300
    with 2GB GDDR5 VRAM each
  • 256GB PCIe-based flash storage1
$2,999.00

Mine
4.2 quad core
16 gb hyper ram
gtx780 gpu
Samsung SSD
twin 2tb Western Digital green Hdd.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:37 AM

This discussion got derailed because I am tryhing to make a point Apple can be dominant player in Solar Panels.

They know how to dominate the supply chain and prevent competitors from offering similary spec'd product at the same price.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:41 AM
EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter-rabbit View Post
This discussion got derailed because I am tryhing to make a point Apple can be dominant player in Solar Panels.

They know how to dominate the supply chain and prevent competitors from offering similary spec'd product at the same price.

If you actually compare their stuff to the competition, you quickly realize that they actually offer LESS for more money. They've built a cult following, and the suckers buy up their products no matter how bad they are. I sincerely hope homeowners do a modicum of research before investing in a solar system. A $800 phone is one thing, a $10,000 system is something else entirely.
They were sued for using patented products from a decade ago in new phones.....

That being said, I would run some mac programs for graphics and animation, I'd just do it with a pc I built myself.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:23 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
Quote:
That was also the business strategy of the sixties. Lots of diversified conglomerates who thought that they could take their operating and financial expertise, and apply it to any industry and succeed. It didn't work out very well.
Apples not going anywhere.. they attempted or thought of buying Tesla a few years back.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:42 PM

15,844 posts, read 14,476,031 times
I don't know where you think I think Apple's going. I just don't think they a have any intention of going into the solar business, and don't think that they'd particularly successful if they did.

And it's ridiculous that this has morphed into a computer thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Apples not going anywhere.. they attempted or thought of buying Tesla a few years back.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:46 PM
EA

Quote:
I don't know where you think I think Apple's going. I just don't think they a have any intention of going into the solar business, and don't think that they'd particularly successful if they did.

And it's ridiculous that this has morphed into a computer thread.

I could not let such a blatant piece of misinformation stand uncorrected.

I also agree that Apple wouldn't venture into the solar market. They can't dress it up and make it trendy. It's just too much of an investment for people to spend stupidly on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: