Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 09:16 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,107,355 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else noticed that when Century Link digs up your neighborhood and starts trying to sell you their gig speed internet service , your formerly solid as a rock , Cox service starts giving you trouble??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 09:26 AM

661 posts, read 630,888 times
Is it the big white trucks that has Decatur Blvd down to 1 lane during the day?

Old 05-03-2015, 09:30 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,445,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Has anyone else noticed that when Century Link digs up your neighborhood and starts trying to sell you their gig speed internet service , your formerly solid as a rock , Cox service starts giving you trouble??
That sounds about right. I thought that Cox had fiber in LV?

Old 05-03-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
That sounds about right. I thought that Cox had fiber in LV?
They do. Quite a large ring paid for ten tears ago by SDMI and CCSD who were their first high speed data customers. I've lived in two separate houses now where Century Link came in, and all of a sudden, the Cox fiber link goes wonky. Fiber is fussy, it doesn't like to be be bent too far.

I'm not saying that Century Link is accidentally bending Cox's cable while putting in their own infrastructure. Im just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Old 05-03-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
I'm not saying that Century Link is accidentally bending Cox's cable while putting in their own infrastructure. Im just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?
No I'm saying that fiber should be able to handle the disruption in bandwidth, if that is what's going on. Have you spoken with Cox's technical support about this?

Old 05-03-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
No I'm saying that fiber should be able to handle the disruption in bandwidth, if that is what's going on. Have you spoken with Cox's technical support about this?
You're not reading between the lines.

I've worked with Cox for many years.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
You're not reading between the lines.

I've worked with Cox for many years.
I used to work at Cox as a TSR. I am (reading between the lines), but I wasn't going to humor that implied part of the argument but it would not surprise me if they are sabotaging your connection, if that is indeed what you are getting at. That is why I asked the question to see how their TSR explained it to you, if you did call, to cover themselves and the company, because that does sound suspect to me.

If that is not what you are inferring then I am truly am asking what you're getting at.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:02 AM

15,822 posts, read 14,460,687 times
I would think Cox would be all over them like flies on dog <redacted> if anyone was screwing with their infrastructure. I also think it would be immediately obvious.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:14 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,792,180 times
Quote:
They do. Quite a large ring paid for ten tears ago by SDMI and CCSD who were their first high speed data customers. I've lived in two separate houses now where Century Link came in, and all of a sudden, the Cox fiber link goes wonky. Fiber is fussy, it doesn't like to be be bent too far.

The Cox weak link is the copper to the house. About every 6 or 7 years Cox comes in and cuts a couple of inches off the coax at the distribution box, resets everything and we are set for another five years or more.

The actual fiber is pretty much self detecting and would pick up a fault in an instant. So any messing around would have to occur at the copper end. I believe the Cox boxes report SNR and such to the system.

So more likely coincidence than anything else.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:24 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,111,747 times
More problems include the wiring in your house, the equipment, heat, and poor technicians.
I have seen guys grab one wire, in the under ground vaults, to pull up the tap, to get at the particular line they are after. Grabbing that line like that will damage the connections.
The heat kills wires here. I saw so many melted wires (the insulation I should say) it's not funny.
As mentioned above, the slight change in the fiber can trigger something in your modem and slow it down. There's so many variables it's crazy.

The cox boxes can report snr to the system BUT only if someone is looking.

It is probably coincidental, but no despicable act surprises me in the business world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas