Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 01:23 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I'll shop at the spotted people mart if the prices are decent and the quality is good!
Oh yeah, the spotted people mart. That's right across the street from the purple people mart. I hear they have great wine.

Ha! But seriously, Scoop turned me on to the International Marketplace. I could get lost in there for hours looking at all the foods and spices from all over the world. I found these cool little single use packets of baking powder there. They were perfect because I don't bake often so a can goes stale between uses. It was cheap too. I really should get a life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 02:40 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Oh yeah, the spotted people mart. That's right across the street from the purple people mart. I hear they have great wine.

Ha! But seriously, Scoop turned me on to the International Marketplace. I could get lost in there for hours looking at all the foods and spices from all over the world. I found these cool little single use packets of baking powder there. They were perfect because I don't bake often so a can goes stale between uses. It was cheap too. I really should get a life.
I love that place too! And all the kitchenware they have is amazing. I have to wear blinders. I. CAN. NOT. buy even one more thing. I am still trying to sell my Mauviel!

Old 05-18-2015, 02:42 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Ha! But seriously, Scoop turned me on to the International Marketplace.
Just watch the expiration dates on some items. I've seen stickers with later dates stuck over the expiration dates on the package.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:42 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
What's the thickness of the Mauviel? And how many pieces?

Old 05-18-2015, 02:45 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I love that place too! And all the kitchenware they have is amazing. I have to wear blinders. I. CAN. NOT. buy even one more thing. I am still trying to sell my Mauviel!
Ooooh the copper? Mrs. Scoop would probably like to talk to you.

I am also not allowed any more kitchenware. Not for a long, long time.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:03 PM

555 posts, read 595,347 times
I keep meaning to visit International Marketplace! Maybe this visit... Jones Market, then International Marketplace. Nice little morning jaunt.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:28 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Effzee View Post
Nevermind...just found the website. Do they really give you 20 minutes to pick up your basket super early on a
Saturday (this would be my day)?

I have done Bountiful Baskets. I think it is a great thing, but have found it to be hit or miss. I have had greats hauls, and I have had weeks where I wonder what I am going to do with a bunch of peppers (like in Scoop's photo) or similar. Or the stuff spoils VERY fast, before anyone could possibly eat it! But you do sometimes get stuff you would normally not buy, and it's fun to try it.

I wouldn't do it if I were on a tight budget; I'd prefer to have more control over what I was buying and choosing what I will actually eat.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:43 PM

Well, that's the trick -- prioritize the produce based on what spoils fastest, and then eat everything in order. Bountiful Baskets is most certainly not for picky eaters or control freaks. But for someone on a limited budget who is willing to cook, this can save a ton of cash every year.

And people can learn new recipes when they get something foreign in their basket. "Goji berries? What do I do with goji berries?"

Old 05-19-2015, 09:30 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Well, that's the trick -- prioritize the produce based on what spoils fastest, and then eat everything in order. Bountiful Baskets is most certainly not for picky eaters or control freaks. But for someone on a limited budget who is willing to cook, this can save a ton of cash every year.

And people can learn new recipes when they get something foreign in their basket. "Goji berries? What do I do with goji berries?"

IME the produce that spoiled fastest was the stuff that SHOULD last the longest. And just because I don't like peppers, doesn't mean I am picky. I just don't like them and they would go to waste. I'd rather spend my money on produce I would actually eat. I don't find it to be a real money saver at all. I do better shopping at Mexican markets or food co-ops where I can choose my stuff and actually get more for the $15 than I did with BB, such as oranges 3lbs/$1. Whole pineapple for 69 cents, etc. JME.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
And just because I don't like peppers, doesn't mean I am picky.
By definition, it means you're picky about peppers. And probably plenty more, I'd wager.

There's nothing stopping anyone from doing a google image search and seeing what is typically in a basket. The prices beat the Mexican marts because these baskets are as close to wholesale as a consumer is going to get. (Restaurants get better prices because of the volume they order.) The Mexican marts are closer to wholesale than Albertsons -- but they're not as close as a food co-op.

Seriously, there is no other way for someone not in the food business to get this for $15:

However, it takes some planning -- some food will need to be cooked and frozen/canned. I could make two weeks worth of food with the contents of this particular basket and some basic proteins and starches. I could drop my total food budget to around $20 per week if I wanted to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: