Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 04:56 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,615,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
This post is not directed to sane dog owners. Just the lunatic ones that have to have their dog with them at all times. There is a loop hole in the law that I think a LOT of dog owners are using.

I was at my favorite eating establishment and here come waltzing in was an older couple. The lady <gasp> had a carriage with her oh so precious very small dog in it. On the carriage she wrote, "Service animal". I'm like what, really?

Security is of course bound by the law. If the animal is a "service dog" then the only thing they can do is ask what's her condition. I say she's delusional. But I digress. I guess little dogs can be service animals because they can "sense" when the old croak seizures up or something. This is supposedly science. I say a bunch a hokey pokey.

So I told him, I could bring a reptile in there and slap a "service animal" tag on it and that would be alright. He shrugged his shoulders. So the bottom line is, this lady is just wants her precious little dog with her 24/7. So she just slaps a "service dog" tag on it and calls it a day. I'm sure a LOT more people are on to this loop hole and are exploiting it all the time.

I know we don't need anymore laws or regulations, but this would be an exception IMO. There needs to be some certified way to say this is a "service animal", instead of anybody just slapping a tag on their pet. <rant over>
And just how do those service dogs make a difference in your life? Today at the Flagship Whole Foods store on the edge of downtown Austin I saw a tattooed young lady with a bright shade of red hair that I had never seen before who had pit bull dog wearing a service tag with her chattin' it up with some people at a table in the dining area. She wasn't blind and appeared to be quite healthy. I wondered why she had a service dog, but I didn't care one way or another. It made not a difference in my life. That dog was well behaved and did not seem threatening at all. He seemed like he knew he had a job to do. Whether or not she really needed the service dog or not, I just thought it was unusual and interesting to have a pit bull for a service dog. I bet if somebody was to attack her, that service dog would have no problem tearing that attacker apart limb by limb.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:43 PM

646 posts, read 1,156,831 times
Well, re e-cigs, there's always this:

Risks of e-cigarettes' vapors remain unclear

Quote:
Although e-cigarettes are a tobacco-less product, they contain a cartridge that holds nicotine, the addictive substance in tobacco. A battery and heating element heats the nicotine liquid, which is vaporized and then inhaled, or "vaped." With a conventional cigarette, the burning of tobacco, instead of the vaporization of a nicotine liquid, takes place, allowing up to 7,000 chemicals to be released, including 70 that are known carcinogens, according to the American Cancer Society.

"E-cigarettes reduce exposure to carbon monoxide and other oxidant gases," said Dr. Steve K. Mashour, leading pulmonologist and intensive care physician at Saint Mary's Regional Medical Center and Pulmonary Medicine Associates. "It does not, however, reduce exposure to nicotine which is known to have other effects, particularly cardiovascular effects, including the increased risk of heart attack and stroke."
And:

Quote:
"As a board-certified pulmonologist, I currently do not recommend electronic cigarettes as a mode of smoking cessation," Ahmad said. "We currently do not know the health risks and dependency of inhaling nicotine in this fashion. There have been studies showing similar lung changes in people that smoke electronic cigarettes to people that smoke regular cigarettes."

Old 06-15-2015, 10:21 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
My biggest concern about vape is that it will be used not as a cessation helper (which I'm ALL FOR. Don't get me wrong about that.) My concern is that the idea of consequence-free drug use is intended to hook yet another generation on nicotine. And the companies will shrug their collective shoulders. "How were WE supposed to know that people would try vaping? We're just selling a cigarette cessation program!"

Successive generations have progressively wised up. Now there's "cancer-free addiction" for them to try. And apparently, vaping is skyrocketing among the young. If they run out of vape, they'll head straight to the Camels. That monkey isn't easy to kick.
For the record, I quit all of it. Vale was a step down to be courteous to non-smoking friends. I always smoked outside anyway. Not my place to make someone else's house smell bad.

That said, if I owned a bar, I'd have a smoke friendly covered patio outside with heaters and a mister system. All money is green.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:47 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,811,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I quit all of it.
Cool.

Bill

Old 06-16-2015, 09:07 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
For the record, I quit all of it. Vale was a step down to be courteous to non-smoking friends. I always smoked outside anyway. Not my place to make someone else's house smell bad.

That said, if I owned a bar, I'd have a smoke friendly covered patio outside with heaters and a mister system. All money is green.

Not only did you smoke outside, you were always courteous enough to smoke downwind. And to be responsible with butts, and exhale before reentering the house. If all smokers were like you, forums wouldn't have this debate over and over.

(But I'm still glad you quit -- just from the "addiction sucks" standpoint. We should celebrate. I'll whip up a menu of food with very subtle flavors -- stuff that is usually lost on smokers. You in? Or I could just do doner kebabs, seeing as I've dialed that recipe in to perfection.)

However, if you and I were to open such a bar in Las Vegas, we'd go broke. Smokers aren't going to be content with the smoke-friendly covered patio with heaters and a mister. So long as it is legal for them to smoke inside, they will demand it.

Las Vegas has not yet reached the tipping point where businesses are more worried about offending non-smokers than they are about offending smokers. I think that day is fast approaching. But we're not there, yet.

You know my plans. I COULD make them work in Las Vegas if I really wanted to. At least a scaled-back version of my plans. But I'm not going to bother in this environment. It isn't worth the time, expense and effort. Someplace else ... and as soon as possible.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:27 AM

930 posts, read 1,818,085 times
first dogs ,now cigs? whats next? this thread has run its course, imo

Old 06-16-2015, 09:29 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,784,829 times
Quote:
Not only did you smoke outside, you were always courteous enough to smoke downwind. And to be responsible with butts, and exhale before reentering the house. If all smokers were like you, forums wouldn't have this debate over and over.

(But I'm still glad you quit -- just from the "addiction sucks" standpoint. We should celebrate. I'll whip up a menu of food with very subtle flavors -- stuff that is usually lost on smokers. You in? Or I could just do doner kebabs, seeing as I've dialed that recipe in to perfection.)

However, if you and I were to open such a bar in Las Vegas, we'd go broke. Smokers aren't going to be content with the smoke-friendly covered patio with heaters and a mister. So long as it is legal for them to smoke inside, they will demand it.

Las Vegas has not yet reached the tipping point where businesses are more worried about offending non-smokers than they are about offending smokers. I think that day is fast approaching. But we're not there, yet.

You know my plans. I COULD make them work in Las Vegas if I really wanted to. At least a scaled-back version of my plans. But I'm not going to bother in this environment. It isn't worth the time, expense and effort. Someplace else ... and as soon as possible.
I must be in the minority with NLVGal as well. I don't smoke in the house or car. Ever. I actually prefer going outside for a cigarette, as the smell can get overpowering in places like the Dive Bar, SandDollar, etc. I don't mind having a cigarette at the bar if I'm in a place like Village Pub (the one on Sunset, at least) if it's the middle of the night and there are only a few of us in there.

But I am like her.. prefer outside, and prefer the smoke to go away from me and others. I don't even sit at a blackjack table in the middle, have to be on the ends, as I don't want the smoke to near the dealer or the players. That's even if I smoke at a table. Often I'll sit a shoe out and go have a cigarette.

Not all smokers are inconsiderate, but there are enough to give the entire "class" of people a bad name. Kinda like lawyers and car salesmen

Old 06-16-2015, 09:35 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
Every week, I have to clean up the cigarette butts in my front yard. If I don't, I get a nastygram from my HOA.

Those butts didn't get there all by themselves. They are thrown there by inconsiderate smokers -- tossed as they walk or drive by. It's this sort of mentality that drives non-smokers nuts. (My wife in particular.)

You and NLVgal are in the minority -- I would say in the barest of minorities. Most smokers are content to sit at a bar -- as the only smoker IN the bar -- and blow smoke in non-smokers faces just out of spite. This is why the hammer is going to continue to come down on smokers. That battle is over, we're just mopping up at this point.

I think pets in public is on-deck for "annoying societal problems which need to go away." Princesses wheeling their miserable little curs in strollers through the supermarket needs to end. Anyone who claims, "oh, but they're not hurting anyone" is likely one of the princesses and therefore part of the problem.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:40 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
Quote:
Every week, I have to clean up the cigarette butts in my front yard. If I don't, I get a nastygram from my HOA.

Those butts didn't get there all by themselves. They are thrown there by inconsiderate smokers -- tossed as they walk or drive by. It's this sort of mentality that drives non-smokers nuts. (My wife in particular.)

You and NLVgal are in the minority -- I would say in the barest of minorities. Most smokers are content to sit at a bar -- as the only smoker IN the bar -- and blow smoke in non-smokers faces just out of spite. This is why the hammer is going to continue to come down on smokers. That battle is over, we're just mopping up at this point.

I think pets in public is on-deck for "annoying societal problems which need to go away." Princesses wheeling their miserable little curs in strollers through the supermarket needs to end. Anyone who claims, "oh, but they're not hurting anyone" is likely one of the princesses and therefore part of the problem.

Not all smokers are inconsiderate. I've known more who were like NLVgal than the other. Never had I had to pick up cigarette butts in my yard that I did not know where they came from. Not all dog owners are inconsiderate. Many (myself included) know where dogs are appropriate and not and know that not everyone appreciates my "rat dogs". I don't appreciate that stereotype, and one of my dogs has changed the minds of more than one person regarding that, but I would never force them on anyone. I know that not everyone is like me.

But whatever you experience is the "norm." I get that. Everyone else is just must be wrong.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:46 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
I find cigarette butts in my yard here, out by the sidewalk. I have no idea where they come from, and there are a variety of brands, so it's not one person.

I never had this problem in Iowa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: