Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 04:55 PM

10,865 posts, read 16,925,550 times
As expected, I am 100% against vaping.

It doesn't matter to me that smokers are switching to vapor. That's fine. They can't really kick the habit. So this is more like substituting methadone for heroin. (Actually it's more like substituting "safe heroin that won't kill you" for heroin.)

What I'm against is that after decades of decline in smoking, young people are taking up vaping in appalling numbers. I see this as just another way to hook another generation and ride them until death by the tobacco companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 05:11 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,415,415 times
One of my co-workers recently switched to vaping. It is fun razzing him about the flavors he likes. His 2 favorites seem to be "Morning Wood" and "Wally's Custard".

As you can imagine, the jokes are endless.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:40 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,748,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post

It doesn't matter to me that smokers are switching to vapor. That's fine. They can't really kick the habit. So this is more like substituting methadone for heroin. (Actually it's more like substituting "safe heroin that won't kill you" for heroin.)

What I'm against is that after decades of decline in smoking, young people are taking up vaping in appalling numbers. I see this as just another way to hook another generation and ride them until death by the tobacco companies.
I don't care if you're for or against it. It's working for me, and I like the taste. And that's the difference between you and I. I see a positive in switching to something that is better for me after 24 years of smoking 1-2 packs a day, and you see yet another negative. You SHOULD be happy that there's one less smoker in the world...

Old 10-05-2015, 09:01 PM

23,070 posts, read 28,787,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post

Back to the basics, tobacco is an herb, with undeniable medicinal properties, and one great side effect of tobacco is appetite suppression.

And what's one factor behind the growing obesity rates in this country?

And to treat the obese is far, far more expensive for taxpayers than treating those with lung problems associated with smoking!

But Snoop may be one of the bigger taxpayers in this country and he's tunnel-visioned into doing whatever is possible to make tobacco, eventually, illegal, and is more than happy to pick up the tabs for obesity related health issues!

Old 10-05-2015, 09:41 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,037,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
I just switched to vaping.. I like the flavor more than cigarettes (currently vaping a great tropical drink).. day 2 without a smoke (after a pack+ per day habit for the past 24 years)
Good for you! I'm told you can have your mix customized to gradually taper down the nicotine levels if you choose as well. Best of luck!

It's nice not to have to worry that you smell like smoke or that you have a lighter and a handy ashtray and such, isn't it?

Old 10-05-2015, 11:30 PM

10,865 posts, read 16,925,550 times
Quote:
I don't care if you're for or against it. It's working for me, and I like the taste. And that's the difference between you and I. I see a positive in switching to something that is better for me after 24 years of smoking 1-2 packs a day, and you see yet another negative. You SHOULD be happy that there's one less smoker in the world...
If vaping was ONLY for smokers trying to quit, or at least swap nicotine delivery systems, that would be great. Vaping is less inconsiderate than smoking in public places.

The problem is that it is seen as "consequence-free" and the steady decline in new smokers has suddenly reversed. That is the problem with vaping.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:00 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,748,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Good for you! I'm told you can have your mix customized to gradually taper down the nicotine levels if you choose as well. Best of luck!

It's nice not to have to worry that you smell like smoke or that you have a lighter and a handy ashtray and such, isn't it?
The cigarettes I smoked had about 24mg of nicotine. I am starting with 12, and tapering down. I'll settle on 6 for a while until I stop completely. I am excited to try new flavors. Tomorrow is Birthday Cake

I wouldn't have stopped, but my doctor found a heart defect. Only 2/3 of my heart is working. This is not due to smoking, but he said I needed to stop, as smoking constricts blood vessels, and I guess that is no bueno. I stopped drinking 32 days ago, now stopped smoking, and he wants me to cut back on caffeine and salt. It would be easier to simply kill him, but I figure I'll go along with it

Old 10-06-2015, 01:04 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,049,059 times
Quote:
I just switched to vaping.. I like the flavor more than cigarettes (currently vaping a great tropical drink).. day 2 without a smoke (after a pack+ per day habit for the past 24 years)
Great job Raiderman. As a non-smoker, I have no problem with people using e cigarettes around me. I wish all smokers would switch to them. The world would be a lot better place.

Edit: I just found this article regarding quitting alcohol. I wonder if you noticed all these things.

http://news.yahoo.com/8-things-that-...130119724.html

Old 10-06-2015, 01:27 AM

23,070 posts, read 28,787,871 times
Quote:
The cigarettes I smoked had about 24mg of nicotine. I am starting with 12, and tapering down. I'll settle on 6 for a while until I stop completely. I am excited to try new flavors. Tomorrow is Birthday Cake

I wouldn't have stopped, but my doctor found a heart defect. Only 2/3 of my heart is working. This is not due to smoking, but he said I needed to stop, as smoking constricts blood vessels, and I guess that is no bueno. I stopped drinking 32 days ago, now stopped smoking, and he wants me to cut back on caffeine and salt. It would be easier to simply kill him, but I figure I'll go along with it
Now the big test! Will you start gaining weight?

My Dad quit smoking after 50 years, but gained a great deal of weight, so did my sister when she quit smoking.

Not all gain weight after quitting smoking, so we shall see!

I know myself too well, I could never quit totally, so I'm now down to, roughly, a half pack a day, smoking thirds/halves with no intention of quitting totally, and I stopped buying store cigarettes 13 years ago, I roll my own with chemical free Indian tobacco!

It's the potential weight gain I'm terrified of!

Old 10-06-2015, 01:45 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,779,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
I don't care for social engineering by my government. Once people start quitting because big brother told them to via taxes, the tax revenue addicted government will move on to something else they don't really like. Maybe something you like.
As a healthcare worker I agree with taxing them til it hurts. Whenever I have to engage with a walking ashtray (aka smoker) I get real cynical. These people are the worst patients and wonder why they aren't healing or why they can't breath. They've been slowly poisoning their bodies for decades and expect for me to bend over backwards with sympathy? NOT!

I was a smoker for about six years. I tried to quit every week for the last two of the six. *** *** ***. Finally accomplished it and am so happy I did not give up on myself. I replaced lighting up with sunflower seeds, especially when I was driving.

I believe smokers, food addicts and people who refuse to exercise are the reason healthcare is out of control. People complain about the cost of healthcare. Everyone needs to try and get a grip on their health as healthcare is part personal responsibility. Healthcare dollars should be spent on treatments for people whose sickness is out of their control. Not because you've smoked, ate or lazed yourself to death. And if you're healthy and feel that you pay too much, blame the people in the prior sentence for whom you are paying for.

Anyways....the more cigarette taxes the better.

Last edited by MAXIALE02; 10-06-2015 at 02:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas