Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 12:02 AM

2,880 posts, read 2,804,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjambalaya View Post
Was that just painting or smoothing also? -and did it include the paint?
I don't know what "smoothing" is

It did include paint and the end product was texturized, like that orange peel stuff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 01:31 AM

638 posts, read 593,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
I don't know what "smoothing" is

It did include paint and the end product was texturized, like that orange peel stuff
Sorry, dont know the american vocabulary, I'm trying to get away from orange peel to have totally smooth walls. Just looked online and you seem to call plaster 'mud' so I want to skim the walls so there's no orange peel look, just totally smooth walls, then paint them.

Old 07-05-2015, 02:39 AM

2,880 posts, read 2,804,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by styrchn View Post
For a living room / dining room area that’s about 34ft x 20 ft x 18 ft high, I got a quote of about $1,700 to get it painted.

I’ve been painting smaller rooms on my own. I look for $10 off $40 Sherwin Williams coupons and stack them with their 30-40% off sales to pay about $40 per gallon of paint. I find I need about 1.5 gallons per bedroom. 3 gallons for the master.

For bathrooms, I got a quote of about $5K labour only to waterproof the shower area and completely tile the walls and floors of a 5ft x 8ft powder room bathroom. We ended up doing the waterproofing ourselves and the tile only labour cost came to $1000. Total cost to do a full renovation of the powder room (all new shower, fixtures, vanity, mirror, toilet, tile etc.) was ~$9K, but I might have <ahem> gone overboard on some fixtures.

On the 5x14 ft bathroom I’m doing it all DIY, and expecting the bathroom to come to $6K. It’s broken down to:
$500 tub (Kohler)
$600 tile (Bedrosian)
$1200 for quartz countertop (labour is $500, but minimum is $700 for each slab, will reuse slab elsewhere)
$300 2x faucets (Kraus)
$250 toilet (Kohler)
$300 2x sink (Kohler)
$800 frameless shower door
$600 new vanity / ceiling lights (Tech lighting)
$80 tub drain (Kohler)
$300 new shower panel
$150 cabinet hardware, towel & toilet bars (Moen)
$120 medicine cabinet (Kohler)
$800 misc – hardiebacker, valves, plumbing pieces, paint, thinset, drywall mud, framing wood, etc.

I’m opting to just repaint my vanity, but my quoted cost for RTA cabinets was about $1.2K including shipping to use all solid wood.

I understand usual mark up for labour is about 1 – 2x the cost of materials.

Would love to hear what others did too!
you should post some progress pics, would love to see it all come together

what are you using to paint, spray gun?

Old 02-19-2017, 06:08 AM

2 posts, read 669 times
I am currently researching a major master bath renovation. I am going to replace a corner glass shower and built-in tub separated by a half wall. This arrangement takes up the entire length of my bath, about 12 feet or so. The bathroom is about 6 feet wide with separate toilet.
I'm going to put in a threshold-free, no curb, no door, shower covering the entire 12 feet. I will be installing a linear drain for the entire 36 inch width. This install is going to be on a cement slab base. It is going to have all new floor and wall tile. The entire floor of the bathroom will be one level.
This is going to be a major project but I am determined to do it all myself. I have all the tools needed and will learn whatever I need to complete it. I should be starting this sometime in the next 12 months. My estimated costs in materials is about $5,000 worst case. I figure this isn't rocket science and that I know how to do already. I will keep this keying updated with my progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas