Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where to move after Vegas?
San Diego 19 40.43%
Pasadena 4 8.51%
San Antonio 6 12.77%
Scottsdale 8 17.02%
Oakland 10 21.28%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 03:58 AM

176 posts, read 263,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Sorry to tell you but your numbers are meaningless. No one is listening to voices like yours in California because the economy continues to grow, population continues to grow and housing prices and other commonly viewed economic indicators are growing too.
If California wants to get rid of all US residents and only want immigrants in their state then so be it. Because that's where it's headed. The recent approval in California to use taxpayer money to fund health care for illegal immigrants, the only state to do this, is just another example of a state run amok.

Quote:
Doesn't matter who is leaving, all the pretty charts just look pointless in the bigger picture.
It does matter. It's quite telling if US residents are moving out of a state by a significant margin.

Quote:
The whole lower taxes are everything argument gets old. All the tax engineering attempted in the last few decades has largely failed because state taxes are just not important enough to truly swing major decisions.
You don't think the difference of millions of dollars in net worth is important enough for people?

Tiger Woods stated he moved out of California specifically due to California's state income tax. With Phil Mickelson stating that he wishes to move out of California for the same reason.

Tiger Woods responds to Phil Mickelson's tax issues - CBSSports.com

Quote:
Even at the highest tax level in California or New York, the biggest earners aren't going anywhere
They're already leaving and have been leaving.

Quote:
The lower earners do take painful hits and understandably some of them leave, but no state should worry too much about the lower earners and lesser skilled leaving unless literally no one shows up to take their place.
Why would low wage earners care about state income tax? The amount they would pay is absolutely trivial. It's the double digit state income tax rates that will be a factor for those that are in those tax brackets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 10:13 AM

15,794 posts, read 14,402,286 times
Use the same political pressure to push down ALL taxes. Then cut services to keep the budget balanced. Living in NYC, I know we could cut both state local taxes, and the government headcount in half, and we'd be better off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Eliminate the state income tax, and? Up goes the property taxes or sales taxes, like Texas!
Eliminate the sales tax, and up goes the state income tax and property taxes, like Oregon!
Yes, you could even eliminate property taxes, and? Skyward goes the state income tax and sales taxes!

Pick your poison!

Old 07-15-2015, 05:00 PM

6,375 posts, read 11,834,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyToasty View Post
If California wants to get rid of all US residents and only want immigrants in their state then so be it. Because that's where it's headed. The recent approval in California to use taxpayer money to fund health care for illegal immigrants, the only state to do this, is just another example of a state run amok.

It does matter. It's quite telling if US residents are moving out of a state by a significant margin.

You don't think the difference of millions of dollars in net worth is important enough for people?

Tiger Woods stated he moved out of California specifically due to California's state income tax. With Phil Mickelson stating that he wishes to move out of California for the same reason.

Tiger Woods responds to Phil Mickelson's tax issues - CBSSports.com

They're already leaving and have been leaving.

Why would low wage earners care about state income tax? The amount they would pay is absolutely trivial. It's the double digit state income tax rates that will be a factor for those that are in those tax brackets.
Look around Las Vegas. Most people who recently moved in from elsewhere are lower than median level wage earners. Yet almost all of them say either I couldnt afford California or I hate the taxes there. Maybe the taxes didnt affect them, but you sure hear about them. A handful of higher earning people move to Nevada, really move not move as part of a tax reduction strategy on income earned elsewhere (athletes since they seem to fascinate you). Mostly because of a job offer. That is a formula to fill a place in, not to make it intelligently grow.

Meanwhile Nevada companies are struggling to hire highly skilled workers and make big efforts at times to attract them from California, offering relatively high wages to do it. To those who dont understand the dynamics this seems too easy, pay someone a high wage to move from tax hell to tax nirvana, it should be easy right? Problem is they rarely succeed, people from high tax/high cost areas turn down most jobs here. Local employers end up settling on people from lower cost and lower profile markets, places where going to Las Vegas means getting to a better market.

Old 07-15-2015, 05:11 PM

9,479 posts, read 12,250,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTES View Post
I've got a sister in Scottsdale. She loves it there. They have nice suburbs that remind me of Summerlin.

Oakland... ehhh... no.
Pasadena? Yeah, in the nicer areas.

Money no issue? I'd pick San Diego hands down. My wife and I looked at relocating there early in our careers. Now, we just visit when we can. So beautiful, so much to do, soooooo expensive.

Bill

Scottsdale doesn't have suburbs. Scottsdale IS a suburb. Of Phoenix. And an overrated one at that. You pay for the privilege of being able to say you live there.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:10 PM

1,600 posts, read 2,004,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Scottsdale doesn't have suburbs. Scottsdale IS a suburb. Of Phoenix. And an overrated one at that. You pay for the privilege of being able to say you live there.
I don't think it's overrated. It IS a very nice suburb with a lot of amenities, from high end shopping, a large employment center for the Valley and great outdoor opportunities.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:16 PM

9,479 posts, read 12,250,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
I don't think it's overrated. It IS a very nice suburb with a lot of amenities, from high end shopping, a large employment center for the Valley and great outdoor opportunities.
People think Scottsdale is the "place to be" in Phoenix, but while nice, its far from the best part of the valley. Jmo

Old 07-18-2015, 12:40 AM

1,374 posts, read 2,427,684 times
You can move to Henderson after Las Vegas.

Old 07-18-2015, 12:55 AM

10,865 posts, read 16,952,848 times
I suggest the rugged awesomeness of Deadhorse, Alaska. Move there tomorrow. Just start driving. It'll turn out fine.

Old 07-18-2015, 01:39 AM

1,600 posts, read 2,004,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
People think Scottsdale is the "place to be" in Phoenix, but while nice, its far from the best part of the valley. Jmo
Hmm, the town of Paradise Valley then? Those are the top two for sure!

Old 07-19-2015, 04:07 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,501,569 times
I vote for San Diego...spent most of my adult life there. Be sure to bring bags & bags of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas