Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2010, 10:49 PM

58 posts, read 343,707 times

Advertisements

I usually take all my recyclables to a self-recycle center in California and can get anywhere from $5-$40 depending on how many bottles and cans I put into the machine. I think they pay around $0.5 - $0.10 per bottle/can depending on what kind of container it is.

Does Nevada (specifically Las Vegas) pay you for your recyclables as well? If so, does anybody know where some good recycle-centers are? And how much cash can I get per bottle/can?

Thanks,
-Mike

Last edited by xmjm924x; 09-23-2010 at 11:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 11:21 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,782,238 times
Yes, just Google recycling centers in Las Vegas.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:08 AM

23,856 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmjm924x View Post
I usually take all my recyclables to a self-recycle center in California and can get anywhere from $5-$40 depending on how many bottles and cans I put into the machine. I think they pay around $0.5 - $0.10 per bottle/can depending on what kind of container it is.

Does Nevada (specifically Las Vegas) pay you for your recyclables as well? If so, does anybody know where some good recycle-centers are? And how much cash can I get per bottle/can?

Thanks,
-Mike
California's deposit is $0.025 per container for the common ones. You pay that deposit at the checkout (CRV). When you take your cans and bottles to the recycling center, you're getting your own money back.

Since Nevada doesn't have that deposit, you aren't going to get that kind of return on your stuff. Instead, you'll get market value for the weight of the material, not a per-container payout, and the per-lb rates are not very high.

Most of the recycling centers that I know of are on Losee, around Cheyenne. Depending on what you're bringing and where you live, it could very well not be worth your time or the gas you'll have to burn to get there and back. Look them up, find out what their rates are and figure out how much your stuff is worth before loading up the car and heading over there. If it's not going to be worth your time, you can let Republic take them and they'll still get recycled, if that's your concern.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
California's deposit is $0.025 per container for the common ones. You pay that deposit at the checkout (CRV). When you take your cans and bottles to the recycling center, you're getting your own money back.

Since Nevada doesn't have that deposit, you aren't going to get that kind of return on your stuff. Instead, you'll get market value for the weight of the material, not a per-container payout, and the per-lb rates are not very high.

Most of the recycling centers that I know of are on Losee, around Cheyenne. Depending on what you're bringing and where you live, it could very well not be worth your time or the gas you'll have to burn to get there and back. Look them up, find out what their rates are and figure out how much your stuff is worth before loading up the car and heading over there. If it's not going to be worth your time, you can let Republic take them and they'll still get recycled, if that's your concern.
That was the most informative, well-explained answer I could have possibly hoped for. Now I understand what "CRV" means and why California pays me more for my recyclables. Thanks for that.

I looked up Silver Dollar Recycling on Losee Rd, and like you said....they ain't paying much. $0.025/lb for plastic is hardly worth the effort and gas-money of driving up to North Vegas where I'm likely to get car-jacked (since I drive a nice car, am 20 years old and 5'6") for a measly $1.25 worth of recyclables.

Come and get em' Republic Trash Service.

Last edited by xmjm924x; 09-24-2010 at 03:04 PM..

Old 09-24-2010, 03:07 PM

And in my original post, I meant to say...$0.05 - $0.10 per container...not $0.5 - $0.10 per container. Just wanted to clear that up because it was such an idiotic mistake on my part.

Okay, carry on.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:25 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,470,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmjm924x View Post
That was the most informative, well-explained answer I could have possibly hoped for. Now I understand what "CRV" means and why California pays me more for my recyclables. Thanks for that.

I looked up Silver Dollar Recycling on Losee Rd, and like you said....they ain't paying much. $0.025/lb for plastic is hardly worth the effort and gas-money of driving up to North Vegas where I'm likely to get car-jacked (since I drive a nice car, am 20 years old and 5'6") for a measly $1.25 worth of recyclables.

Come and get em' Republic Trash Service.

Try Craigslist. We had some guy come over and weigh our stuff. We got over $100.00 for cans, and he came to us. I believe it was $1.10 a pound.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 28,686 times
I looked on craigslist and I found a post for mobile recycle but no contact information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas