Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2015, 05:37 PM

635 posts, read 746,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qingguy View Post
I'll have my son do it as well (he'll be thrilled) he's going into 8th grade next month (damn where did the summer go). Don't want to turn this thread into an education thread but I will say OUR EXPERIENCE has been nothing like what the statistics show and what others report.

When we moved here my son's elementary school was great, had a teacher that truly cared and put in the effort. He's now in his last year of middle school and his middle school was voted a 5 star school his first year there I think. Also his elementary, middle and high school were all in the upper range of that school ranking list someone posted here (did our homework prior to moving here on where to live so he could go to the better schools). He's in three AP classes and with the exception of band which he hated gets great marks. For the most part he's had great teachers, especially last year.

That said, while the school is good parents have to do their part too folks. We're very involved in our sons education, we communicate regularly with his teachers. On back to school night we make sure we introduce ourselves to each teacher and let them know we are involved parents and we will be communicating with them and that they can contact us at anytime as well should they need to.

We log into the schools portal almost daily to check on assignments, tests, upcoming tests, projects etc.

We're also lucky to live in an area where the majority of our neighbors are educated, professionals or business owners, higher incomes. That helps as well. Many of the mothers are able to stay home if they choose (my wife included) and have the time to focus on their kids and be involved in their daily lives, this is a luxury.

So while I won't argue statistics and I do think it's ridiculous that CCSD has the number of vacant teacher spots that they do and that needs to be fixed, you don't have to be a statistic or just throw-up your hands and say well the school system sucks what are you going to do?

Also, didn't write this to give ourselves a pat on the back, "look at us we're such great parents" because we struggle as well and we only have one. I wrote this to point out that in my opinion (and statistics to support this) that it's also our responsibility as parents to assist in the education of our children, school isn't a daycare and if you're not involved don't be surprised if you kid becomes a statistic, they don't have to be. Also, we brought this kid into the world, it's our responsibility to raise a productive, educated, well mannered and overall a good human, our responsibility.
Great one success. It is not just the statistics that prove how bad CCSD is...sorry but the Nevada State Government is also saying it...so is numerous studies, parents, students and even the teachers. If CCSD was so great those open teacher vacancies would be filled...they are even offering a hiring bonus. One instance of success doesn't overrule the facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 05:45 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,784,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LV10101 View Post
I don't think anyone is asking anyone else on this forum to take responsibility for them moving here and not liking it. Yes some people can't make numerous trips to visit here prior to moving here...so that is not always an option to all.

As now residents of Las Vegas we are giving our OPINIONS of how we feel about living here in Las Vegas. Everyone has a right to their opinion.

At the same time some things are not up for debate;
Nevada is #2 in highest gas prices in the continental US per AAA.
Nevada - Clark County School District is rated the worst school district based on size in the US.
Nevada - Is #8 on the current highest foreclosure list in the US per Bankrate.com
Nevada - Is #4 on the current highest unemployment rate in the US per CNN Money.
Nevada - Is #3 for the highest crime rate in the US per USA Today
Nevada - Highest divorce rate in the US, numerous sources.

So opinion is opinion but facts are facts.
#2 for gas prices - True (although that's only been the case for the past year or so)

Worst school district in the US (I couldn't find one that measured by size) FALSE There isn't a single school in the bottom 100.. Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
It also appears that MS may take the honors for worst state for education. States With the Best (and Worst) Schools - 24/7 Wall St.

8th highest foreclosure rate FALSE (we're #11 according to this data) States with highest foreclosure rates in Q1 - Business Insider

#4 on the current highest unemployment rate FALSE We are actually the third highest (2nd highest state) Unemployment Rates for States

#3 highest crime rate in the US FALSE We're not even in the top 10 this year Crime in America 2015: Top 10 Most Dangerous Cities Over 200,000 - Law Street (TM)

Highest divorce rate - True (and also the only state with "quickie" divorces. How many divorcees actually live here??)

Last edited by Yac; 08-05-2015 at 07:29 AM..

Old 07-31-2015, 05:50 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
It's the same with our low, low taxes. If having low, low taxes is so great, why aren't we mopping the floor with neighboring states when it comes to attracting business?

The answer, of course, is that Las Vegas is looked at as "The State that Makes Mississippi Look Better By Comparison" when it comes to education.

The California desert crapholes of Barstow and similar have more appalling numbers when it comes to percentage of college graduates and educational achievement. But Las Vegas is far bigger and the consensus nationwide is that Las Vegas sucks when it comes to schools. We could reduce taxes to nothing and it wouldn't help us attract business. Nobody cares about our low, low taxes. They care about quality of life. If the main yardstick for quality of life studies was sucking down Marlboros while playing video poker, we'd do GREAT. But it doesn't work that way.

And that's why businesses flock to places like Worcester or Palo Alto -- that's the general consensus of where the smart people live.

We could start to fix this by reducing class size. But we're starting this year 700 teachers in the hole.

Las Vegas: "We make Biloxi look better by comparison."

http://www.parenting.com/gallery/wor...n-america-2012

http://lasvegassun.com/news/2012/jul...-nation-educa/

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/ed...-vegas-bad-rap

http://sincitysiren.com/2014/01/13/n...ucation-again/

http://news.monster.com/a/business/t...-charts-6b6033

Old 07-31-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
It's the same with our low, low taxes. If having low, low taxes is so great, why aren't we mopping the floor with neighboring states when it comes to attracting business?

The answer, of course, is that Las Vegas is looked at as "The State that Makes Mississippi Look Better By Comparison" when it comes to education.

The California desert crapholes of Barstow and similar have more appalling numbers when it comes to percentage of college graduates and educational achievement. But Las Vegas is far bigger and the consensus nationwide is that Las Vegas sucks when it comes to schools. We could reduce taxes to nothing and it wouldn't help us attract business. Nobody cares about our low, low taxes. They care about quality of life. If the main yardstick for quality of life studies was sucking down Marlboros while playing video poker, we'd do GREAT. But it doesn't work that way.

And that's why businesses flock to places like Worcester or Palo Alto -- that's the general consensus of where the smart people live.

We could start to fix this by reducing class size. But we're starting this year 700 teachers in the hole.

Las Vegas: "We make Biloxi look better by comparison."
Umm.. valid points, until you mentioned Worcester.. you've never been to Worcester, have you...

Old 07-31-2015, 05:59 PM

You know where I went to school. So, yes, I've been to Worcester. It's not my favorite town, and not by a long shot. But if I was a kid, I'd take any random university in Worcester over UNLV.

Where are the tech companies? East of the Connecticut River? Or Las Vegas? I rest my case.

Seriously, look at this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colleg...ter_Consortium

Worcester is a powerhouse, educationally. Although if you go downtown you'd never know it.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:02 PM

698 posts, read 985,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LV10101 View Post
Great one success. It is not just the statistics that prove how bad CCSD is...sorry but the Nevada State Government is also saying it...so is numerous studies, parents, students and even the teachers. If CCSD was so great those open teacher vacancies would be filled...they are even offering a hiring bonus. One instance of success doesn't overrule the facts.
Yep, my kid is the only success, actually I read that someone else's three kids are doing OK and all my neighbors kids are doing OK so lets call it six kids. I missed where I said CCSD was "so great" AND I commented and feel that the open positions are inexcusable, what do want? You're leaving, why do you care? Let me guess, it's your duty now to warn people not to come here so they're not tricked like you were.

If anything in a round-about-way I'm agreeing with you by saying parents need to take a stronger role in their child's education and not leave it up to the school district.

Seems like you're spending a lot of time looking backward when if you're truly leaving like you say you are you should be looking forward, we're lost causes here man, can't save us, save yourself. If I was you I'd be researching your next move, calling to see if deposits are required for utilities, what are registration costs, any money grabs going on, what will my insurance cost be and doing your homework so you're not tricked into moving to another location. Didn't Elmer Fud get tricked a lot by that rascally rabbit?

Old 07-31-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
You know where I went to school. So, yes, I've been to Worcester. It's not my favorite town, and not by a long shot. But if I was a kid, I'd take any random university in Worcester over UNLV.

Where are the tech companies? East of the Connecticut River? Or Las Vegas? I rest my case.

Seriously, look at this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colleg...ter_Consortium

Worcester is a powerhouse, educationally. Although if you go downtown you'd never know it.
Actually, I don't know where you went to school.. but Worcester is a half step above Holyoke and Springfield. On par with Lowell and Fall River. Maybe it was better when you were there? I lived in Boylston and Boxborough, and worked in Northborough. This was 5 years ago.

Had you said Cambridge, Allston, Brighton, or a dozen other cities, ok.. but Worcester? Nope.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:05 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,679,431 times
He meant Worcester Polytechnic.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Actually, I don't know where you went to school.. but Worcester is a half step above Holyoke and Springfield. On par with Lowell and Fall River. Maybe it was better when you were there? I lived in Boylston and Boxborough, and worked in Northborough. This was 5 years ago.

Had you said Cambridge, Allston, Brighton, or a dozen other cities, ok.. but Worcester? Nope.
I picked Worcester specifically because it doesn't have a great quality of life, but has great schools and lots of tech surrounding it. I could have just as easily picked Waltham. Same reason.

Nobody moves to Waltham willingly. But people who live there can get a great education for their kids -- all the way through college. And there are tons of great companies in town.

Las Vegas is a craphole without the schools. And if you throw away the Strip, without the nice companies to work for as well. We will never have a Bose, or an Apple, or medical research, or anything of that nature in this town. Not until we get education sorted out.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:40 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,551,499 times
I attended CSU and UNLV. They're about the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas