Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2015, 12:58 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,342,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Sandoval and the legislature just threw some big bucks at education, and with the suggested breakup of that corrupt mess that is the CCSD, we could actually be looking at some real change.
I hope so, CCSD needs a much needed shakeup to break up the top heavy bureaucracy. My only concerns are what Scoop mentioned a while back with the logistics of setting up individual school districts, hiring superintendants, individual school boards, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 01:14 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post
I hope so, CCSD needs a much needed shakeup to break up the top heavy bureaucracy. My only concerns are what Scoop mentioned a while back with the logistics of setting up individual school districts, hiring superintendants, individual school boards, etc.
There will be redundancy, no doubt, but CCSD needs to be broken up. It's been corrupt for a long time, and I agree that it's top heavy. Every teacher I know says the same thing.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:21 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
There will be redundancy, no doubt, but CCSD needs to be broken up. It's been corrupt for a long time, and I agree that it's top heavy. Every teacher I know says the same thing.
Wouldn't splitting it up and replicating all of the positions at the top make it even more top heavy?

Old 08-02-2015, 01:27 PM

146 posts, read 220,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
Ha! I loved that movie,I didn't know for sure if you were referencing it or not, but yes I like the application in this case.

Jeepers man, can't you give it a rest ever? Everybody knows Vegas isn't perfect, most people don't care or have that expectation to begin with. If you remain so unhappy (and believe it is the city at fault), the most responsible thing to do is get the hell out of there for your own sanity. I think people are pretty realistic that living in Vegas is much different than vacationing there. Some, perhaps most, seem to enjoy living there. You even go so far as to complain about how people enjoy their free time, commenting on how idiotic it is. That goes WAYYYYYY beyond your stated purpose, which is to 'inform the uninformed'. I seem to recall you had intelligent things to say regarding some things, but this bashing Vegas 24/7 is just way too much, and you lose most of your credibility by doing it on every thread.
Yeah I agree with this.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:27 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post

Obviously, it didn't work out for Scoop but he is wrong to apply emotional blanket statements for those who are just as invested in the area and use objectivity to counter the points.
Repeating this doesn't make it true. Read the thread again if you care to. Who is linking studies and reports to support a position?

It's the rah-rah Las Vegas cheerleaders who aren't objective. They can't be by their very nature. If they were objective, they would agree that this city has some serious problems. And many of these serious problems are fixable. Some of these problems are EASILY fixable, if not for the "stop harshing my mellow" attitude from the rah-rah cheerleader crowd.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Wouldn't splitting it up and replicating all of the positions at the top make it even more top heavy?
I think it would replace one monolithic top-heavy monstrosity, with multiple top-heavy little monstrosities. Some areas would likely see some improvement. Marginal improvement -- simply because things would be more neighborhood specific and not managed by someone clear across town.

How schools are funded is written into the constitution. So the people who point the "tax-and-spend nanny stater" finger aren't just wrong, they're 180-degrees from reality wrong.

Instead of building more schools and having more classrooms with fewer students (which is the only way out of our educational mess), splitting CCSD would mean multiple transportation directors and multiple grant writers and multiple everything.

Furthermore, these positions are going to be staffed by the same people who ran CCSD into the ground. They'll administer the same programs and do things the same way. And then 10 years from now people will wonder why there hasn't been any major improvement.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Repeating this doesn't make it true. Read the thread again if you care to. Who is linking studies and reports to support a position?

It's the rah-rah Las Vegas cheerleaders who aren't objective. They can't be by their very nature. If they were objective, they would agree that this city has some serious problems. And many of these serious problems are fixable. Some of these problems are EASILY fixable, if not for the "stop harshing my mellow" attitude from the rah-rah cheerleader crowd.
Assuming I'm lumped in the the "cheerleader" category, as I enjoy where I live, I will tell you, that the entire paragraph above is ridiculous rubbish.

Of course there are problems here. However, the good things outweigh the bad things. And, strangely enough, the good things have outweighed the bad things in pretty much each of the 13 states in which I've lived. Makes you wonder if it's an external vs. internal thing, eh?

Old 08-02-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
I think it would replace one monolithic top-heavy monstrosity, with multiple top-heavy little monstrosities. Some areas would likely see some improvement.

How schools are funded is written into the constitution. So the people who point the "tax-and-spend nanny stater" finger aren't just wrong, they're 180-degrees from reality wrong.

Instead of building more schools and having more classrooms with fewer students (which is the only way out of our educational mess), splitting CCSD would mean multiple transportation directors and multiple grant writers and multiple everything.

Furthermore, these positions are going to be staffed by the same people who ran CCSD into the ground. They'll administer the same programs and do things the same way. And then 10 years from now people will wonder why there hasn't been any improvement.
Yeah, that's kind of what I thought.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Yeah, that's kind of what I thought.
I think we can all agree that Congress sucks and isn't doing anything productive.

Splitting Congress into five identical Congresses, and filling them the same way with the same sort of people using the same rules isn't going to make much difference -- provided it's the same kind of gridlock we currently see in Washington.

Now if one of these mini-congresses was filled with like minded people who managed to change the rules as it applies to them, then I think improvement is possible.

But since schools run on money and funding is hard-coded into our constitution, I don't see how splitting CCSD would be more of an improvement than adding more classrooms to lower average class sizes. But that requires a long term commitment to actually making a dent in the problem. That isn't going to happen in Las Vegas. I'd mortgage my house and bet it all that it doesn't happen between now and when I move. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:50 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,342,083 times
Quote:

LMAO, ok. If you want to continue to make yourself not credible, keep up the denial. Because you are so much more superior and rational than us who use objectivity! LMAO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas