Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2015, 10:49 AM

1,966 posts, read 4,341,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV10101 View Post
Again you are not reading. I have NEVER said that only bad things happen here...do you get it? Do you understand? The things I'm pointing out such as schools, unemployment and so on would be very important to people who are thinking about moving here, hence the title of the OP. I can name other cities in the US that also have huge problems...but this forum is about LAS VEGAS.
That's exactly my point, you can't accept despite the numerous times I have said that Vegas has it's drawbacks the simple fact that people still LIKE IT HERE. Now is that a big enough point for you or do you really want to continue this charade?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 10:57 AM

635 posts, read 746,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Not everyone has kids, don't have a lawn to water, have found plenty of things
to do, have income already or a job...so,
many of the valid 'bad points' don't effect everyone.

That's how I see it anyway...the 'bad' is there, but the 'good' stuff is, too!
You need to read the full conversation. As I stated in a previous post the 30% drop out rate does EFFECT EVERYONE. Those drop outs are still part of the community and have an effect on the community. To say the water issue only effects people who need to water their lawn is foolish and ridiculous. As Lake Mead dries up and ground water disappears you will figure it out when it is too late. Having a thought that the major water shortage we are in only effects people that need to water their lawn makes you part of the problem and not the solution.

Amazing how so many people just think about themselves and fail to see the whole picture. Just because you don't have kids or don't water your lawn does NOT mean both issues don't effect you...think about it.

Last edited by LV10101; 08-04-2015 at 11:18 AM..

Old 08-04-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post
That's exactly my point, you can't accept despite the numerous times I have said that Vegas has it's drawbacks the simple fact that people still LIKE IT HERE. Now is that a big enough point for you or do you really want to continue this charade?
Yep again I have said there are people that like it here...why can't you get it. This post is about the not so great things about living here, not the great things about living here.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:14 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
It's a lost cause.

I can make statements about the habits of "the average person who loves Las Vegas" and the average C-D Las Vegas Forum user isn't going to understand what that means.

For instance, gamblers love Las Vegas. Is everyone who loves Las Vegas a gambler? Of course not. I know people who love living here who think that gambling is a pointless waste of time. But it is a fair statement to say that gamblers love Las Vegas.

And the same with smokers. Plenty of non-smokers live here. But this city caters to smokers like no other city in America.

People who love the rodeo love Las Vegas.

People who think professional wrestling is a real sport love Las Vegas

People who love monster truck rallies love Las Vegas.

People who love strip clubs love Las Vegas.

People who love clubbing love Las Vegas.

People who believe in retail therapy love Las Vegas.

Put all those people who love Las Vegas in a big societal blender, populate Las Vegas with them, and that's why I don't like living here. I don't care that it's hot in the summer. Or that we're hundreds of miles from the next major population center. The average people who live here make this city a place I don't want to spend time.

There are above-average people who live here. But for me its all about the signal-to-noise ratio. And Las Vegas has more noise than signal.

And just so I'm perfectly clear: THERE ARE OTHER CITIES THAT SUCK. THERE ARE OTHER CITIES THAT HAVE SERIOUS PROBLEMS. But I'm not on the San Francisco forum trashing that city over how dirty it is. I'm on the Las Vegas forum trashing this city because of how mediocre it is.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:16 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,480,867 times
^^^ I don't like any of those things and I loved living in Las Vegas!

LV has a PULSE...I like that!

Old 08-04-2015, 12:00 PM

2,157 posts, read 1,442,718 times
Quote:
You need to read the full conversation. As I stated in a previous post the 30% drop out rate does EFFECT EVERYONE. Those drop outs are still part of the community and have an effect on the community. To say the water issue only effects people who need to water their lawn is foolish and ridiculous. As Lake Mead dries up and ground water disappears you will figure it out when it is too late. Having a thought that the major water shortage we are in only effects people that need to water their lawn makes you part of the problem and not the solution.

Amazing how so many people just think about themselves and fail to see the whole picture. Just because you don't have kids or don't water your lawn does NOT mean both issues don't effect you...think about it.
All this 'talking back' goes BEYOND the normal give and take regarding people stating they are enjoying themselves in Las Vegas. If somebody rather innocently says they are having a good time or discusses the positives, you seem to feel the need to rebut them.

Most people are perfectly capable of enjoying themselves, even if the 'community' has specific issues. Others are going to find a reason to raise a big silly stink about it.

Currently and in the past there has been enough water, conservation efforts will likely need to change. Is there any need to borrow potential problems from potential futures, when people have been enjoying themselves for years/decades up until this point? In 5 or 20 years things may change, but for the moment life remains very good for some, and very $hitty for others.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:24 PM

Again this topic was about the things many of us find wrong with Las Vegas, not what is right in the "community". Furthermore this "talking back" is a discussion between adults who disagree on the topic. If someone doesn't want to be involved in the discussion they have the freedom to not read the discussion.

Furthermore to talk about everything is good now and in 5 or 20 years things may change continues to make me believe people fail to prepare for the future. I would caution anyone moving here and buying a house with a 30 year mortgage.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:28 PM

15,841 posts, read 14,469,933 times
Given LV's proximity to California, and LA specifically...

People who don't want to pay through the nose for housing love Las Vegas.

People who don't what to pay to support bloated bureaucracies and social programs they'll never use love Las Vegas.

You, obviously and explicitly don't care about these items. There are millions who do.

That's just at the basic functional level. As far as entertainment and recreation, Vegas doesnt' float your boat. It does for others.

You just need to hijack your MIL and get out of town, before being stuck in Vegas gives you a heart attack.

But, based on reading what you've posted over the years, I doubt you're ever find someplace that really makes you happy. I don't think it exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
It's a lost cause.

I can make statements about the habits of "the average person who loves Las Vegas" and the average C-D Las Vegas Forum user isn't going to understand what that means.

For instance, gamblers love Las Vegas. Is everyone who loves Las Vegas a gambler? Of course not. I know people who love living here who think that gambling is a pointless waste of time. But it is a fair statement to say that gamblers love Las Vegas.

And the same with smokers. Plenty of non-smokers live here. But this city caters to smokers like no other city in America.

People who love the rodeo love Las Vegas.

People who think professional wrestling is a real sport love Las Vegas

People who love monster truck rallies love Las Vegas.

People who love strip clubs love Las Vegas.

People who love clubbing love Las Vegas.

People who believe in retail therapy love Las Vegas.

Put all those people who love Las Vegas in a big societal blender, populate Las Vegas with them, and that's why I don't like living here. I don't care that it's hot in the summer. Or that we're hundreds of miles from the next major population center. The average people who live here make this city a place I don't want to spend time.

There are above-average people who live here. But for me its all about the signal-to-noise ratio. And Las Vegas has more noise than signal.

And just so I'm perfectly clear: THERE ARE OTHER CITIES THAT SUCK. THERE ARE OTHER CITIES THAT HAVE SERIOUS PROBLEMS. But I'm not on the San Francisco forum trashing that city over how dirty it is. I'm on the Las Vegas forum trashing this city because of how mediocre it is.

Last edited by BBMW; 08-04-2015 at 01:54 PM..

Old 08-04-2015, 02:47 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,341,409 times
Quote:
Yep again I have said there are people that like it here...why can't you get it. This post is about the not so great things about living here, not the great things about living here.
Because you can't grasp the idea that EVERY CITY has positives and negatives and yet despite numerous posters on this thread saying they like living here, you can't wrap your head around that. Guess what, people LIKE LIVING HERE DESPITE THE NEGATIVES OF LAS VEGAS!

Now, does that make sense for you and Scoop or shall we continue to dance????

Old 08-04-2015, 02:55 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
But, based on reading what you've posted over the years, I doubt you're ever find someplace that really makes you happy. I don't think it exists.
I was very happy in my last zip code. I doubt you'd like it much, though. It was crazy expensive. Not because of taxes or anything. Just because of scarcity.

The good thing about living in a crazy-expensive city is that you're surrounded by people who are capable of surviving (and thriving) in a place that is crazy expensive. People who try to half-ass it through life don't survive in a crazy-expensive city. They wash out, and are replaced by people who can make it.

Guess what sort of city ends up with the wash-outs?

PS -- I think this thread wouldn't be so contentious if it didn't claim to be "the real truth." If it were simply, "Crappy things about living in Las Vegas which nobody mentions much online," it would be hard to argue with most of the points made here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas