Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2015, 11:07 AM

635 posts, read 746,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post
And where exactly is Portland in relation to the Oregon coast where Bandon is located? There is total agreement that the area is beautiful but again what is your priority for a city to reside? If it's professional sports, it's not right? The Oregon coast gets the cold, windy weather and my aunt owns a coffee shop in downtown Bandon. When it gets dark, there is nothing to do.

The southeast never prepares for ice, when it happens the power goes out for days. Like I keep saying, each of you 3 may agree that Vegas sucks but your visions of what is paradise probably differs. For some people, it's living in a 10,000 sq. ft house on the beach, for some it's living in an R.V., at the end of the day it's still up to the individual to decide.
LOL...I lived there for 25 years, I can tell you I have spent far more time on the Oregon Coast than you have in all types of weather at all times during the year. Bandon...lol, try Seaside, Astoria or Lincoln City. Again people don't go to the Oregon Coast in belief that it is like Southern California.

Yes the vision of paradise is different for all, but the stats/facts for a city don't change based on someones vision. Las Vegas has poor ratings in the areas that would make it a good place to live; Unemployment, Education and crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 11:08 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
That isn't what a strawman argument is.

What I'm doing is removing the cost of living variable from the equation. Lacking that, Las Vegas has little going for it. Only gamblers would want to remain here if cost of living was tossed aside. I don't understand why you're having such a hard time with this.

As for the Southeast, why didn't you move to Miami Beach? That seems to fit ALL of your criteria. It isn't even particularly humid because it always has a sea breeze.
It is an absurd argument however. If you removed cost as a variable I doubt you have the faintest idea where everyone would live. Sure as hell would not be Santa Barbara but there and La Jolla and Maui and Key West and virtually all such places would immediately sink under the weight of the hundreds of millions moving there.

Cost is still perhaps the most relevant variable.

So let's get real. Reasonable cost, newer homes and infrastructure. No significant cold weather. Lots of sun.

Now where is Las Vegas on the list.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
It is an absurd argument however. If you removed cost as a variable I doubt you have the faintest idea where everyone would live. Sure as hell would not be Santa Barbara but there and La Jolla and Maui and Key West and virtually all such places would immediately sink under the weight of the hundreds of millions moving there.

Cost is still perhaps the most relevant variable.

So let's get real. Reasonable cost, newer homes and infrastructure. No significant cold weather. Lots of sun.

Now where is Las Vegas on the list.
Lets get real. In the middle of the desert, four months of the year 100+ degrees temps, poor schools, high unemployment, high crime, one of the highest foreclosure rates...really lets get real.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:13 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LV10101 View Post
LOL...I lived there for 25 years, I can tell you I have spent far more time on the Oregon Coast than you have in all types of weather at all times during the year. Bandon...lol, try Seaside, Astoria or Lincoln City. Again people don't go to the Oregon Coast in belief that it is like Southern California.

Yes the vision of paradise is different for all, but the stats/facts for a city don't change based on someones vision. Las Vegas has poor ratings in the areas that would make it a good place to live; Unemployment, Education and crime.
And you keep misstating the facts. Las Vegas schools including drop out rates are reasonable compared to other large cities. Don't use state numbers which are always the sign that someone is trying to denigrate LV. NV is a strange state statistically...actually the third most urban state behind NY and CA. It consists of one large and one moderate city...and not much else. You therefore need to compare it to large cities...not suburban and rural states.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:20 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,783,947 times
Quote:

Yep, unless you have a great job, are educated, and live in a virtually crime-free neighborhood. Then the goods far outweigh the bads. YMMV.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
And you keep misstating the facts. Las Vegas schools including drop out rates are reasonable compared to other large cities. Don't use state numbers which are always the sign that someone is trying to denigrate LV. NV is a strange state statistically...actually the third most urban state behind NY and CA. It consists of one large and one moderate city...and not much else. You therefore need to compare it to large cities...not suburban and rural states.
Reasonable...LOL>Go look at the actual school ratings by students and parents. So the State of Nevada looking at the possibility of breaking up CCSD is just because they are average...LOL. Being down 700 teachers with a $5000 sign on bonus is normal...LOL. You need to look at all the FACTS and you will see that CCSD is in serious trouble.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:33 AM

929 posts, read 399,241 times
Quote:
You reality and actual reality are too different realities. Las Vegas is not "much better now"...unemployment one of the highest, schools having huge issues, high drop out rate, lack of teachers...really that is much better. There is no "fear mongering" it's telling people the truth about this desert trap.

Oh you drive your Model S to Walmart...lol...okay. Not sure who you are trying to impress but you are doing a poor job of it. There are many things wrong with that but it is not for a Las Vegas forum.

You then state "based on my factual experiences"...huh? Everything you say is based on your experiences not facts. I have given facts over and over and you have given none, zero, zip. The unemployment rate is just over 7% that is a fact, look it up, the national unemployment rate is 5.3%. CCSD is lacking 700 teachers, that is a fact, even with a $5,000 sign on bonus. The drop out rate at CCSD schools is 30%, that is a fact. The housing market in Las Vegas isn't recovering nearly as good as other markets...please research it. We still have one of the highest foreclosure rates in the US and the one of the highest unoccupied housing rates in the US, that is a fact...again please look it up. Our violent crime rate is higher than LA, NY and Chicago...please look it up. I could go on and on with FACTS.

By the way I am planning on moving just can't do it overnight. Furthermore there is no fear mongering here some of us want to give possible future residents some facts and experiences from living here. There is way too much pro-Vegas on this forum when people ask about the true experiences of living in Las Vegas...people should have both sides and decide for themselves what they want to do. Please don't attempt to stop people from sharing their views and facts on living in Las Vegas.
Yes my factual experiences and that's what people need to hear as well, not some gloom and doom you are always portraying. People need to hear both sides, as I've stated before you need to have a decent secure job with decent pay. I don't look at some random numbers and shiver to death of worries.

Not trying to impress anyone, i work hard enough that I can afford nice things in life. It doesn't mean I shy away from being logical and frugal.

You know the difference between the two of us is that I am on different level than you and therefore I see things differently. My family and I enjoy life here in Vegas. As you move out people are also moving in....I'm actually glad there are people leaving, it keeps the population down....wait the population has grown so much....

Old 08-06-2015, 11:37 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
My point being that the majority of Las Vegas residents are settling. It's the outliers who love this place for what it is. Most people don't really love this place. They just love the fact that they can make the numbers work without much difficulty.

If the people here on this forum (not the entire planet) could make the numbers work anywhere, most would not stay here. There are far better places to live. But they're not cheap.

In many ways, users here already argue for leaving -- walling themselves up in gated communities in a nicer areas is just one way of keeping the riff-raff at bay. I'd prefer to move someplace so expensive that there is no riff-raff. Places where the riff-raff has already packed up and left -- to cities like Las Vegas.

I came from a shockingly-expensive place. And first chance I get, I'm moving to another shockingly-expensive place. The more expensive the better. I'm quite happy to pay for vastly increased quality of life.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryoVilla View Post
Yes my factual experiences and that's what people need to hear as well, not some gloom and doom you are always portraying. People need to hear both sides, as I've stated before you need to have a decent secure job with decent pay. I don't look at some random numbers and shiver to death of worries.

Not trying to impress anyone, i work hard enough that I can afford nice things in life. It doesn't mean I shy away from being logical and frugal.

You know the difference between the two of us is that I am on different level than you and therefore I see things differently. My family and I enjoy life here in Vegas. As you move out people are also moving in....I'm actually glad there are people leaving, it keeps the population down....wait the population has grown so much....
"My factual experiences"...those are called your experiences. The facts and statistics are going to be proved correct many more times than someones experience. Yes we do need to hear both sides but for the most part this forum is filled with pro-Vegas supporters so having one discussion about what is wrong with Las Vegas is not asking too much.

Yes I will completely agree that we are on different levels. You fail to see the FACTS and believe your experiences are factual. You believe Las Vegas is filled with people driving expensive cars and living the life but fail to see reality. You are okay with living in the middle of the desert, dealing with 100+ degree temps four months out of the year just to have a perceived lower cost of living, even if it is really an average cost of living. You believe Las Vegas can compare with similar cities with similar populations but it obviously is much different and has much less than most similar cities. You fail to see the reality of the future of Las Vegas which is not good.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:55 AM

929 posts, read 399,241 times
Quote:
"My factual experiences"...those are called your experiences. The facts and statistics are going to be proved correct many more times than someones experience. Yes we do need to hear both sides but for the most part this forum is filled with pro-Vegas supporters so having one discussion about what is wrong with Las Vegas is not asking too much.

Yes I will completely agree that we are on different levels. You fail to see the FACTS and believe your experiences are factual. You believe Las Vegas is filled with people driving expensive cars and living the life but fail to see reality. You are okay with living in the middle of the desert, dealing with 100+ degree temps four months out of the year just to have a perceived lower cost of living, even if it is really an average cost of living. You believe Las Vegas can compare with similar cities with similar populations but it obviously is much different and has much less than most similar cities. You fail to see the reality of the future of Las Vegas which is not good.
Yes!! They are factual, if you have a decent income you will enjoy Vegas, period. Look up my post on the number of memorable experiences I've enumerated my family I has done. I can't think of anyplace you can do all these things.

No, the real difference is that I am fortunate to have a decent income that allows me to enjoy Vegas. The lower, middle and top class all have different opinions because they obviously have different income levels. When you get to middle to higher class you will enjoy Vegas, trust me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas