Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2015, 01:48 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,275,539 times

Advertisements

If you have a reliable, well made, older, economical car the car insurance and registration isn't expensive. I thought we were going to get a considerable increase in car insurance moving to Las Vegas from what I'd read from locals on here, but it wasn't more than a couple of dollars more a month. Our car is a 2000 or 2001 and still going strong. Also our gas mileage improved considerably after moving here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 01:51 PM

69 posts, read 115,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 909er View Post
I'm fond of Vegas, I don't live there so I can't speak as though I do, but let me take away The Strip for a moment. To me, that leaves the Red Rock and Summerlin area as the most desirable to live. I like those areas, we come to Vegas enough that we feel sort of 'localish', meaning we run to Smiths or Costco for stuff, and party on the Strip, but use much more of the city than just the strip.
I feel you, I thought those things made me feel local-ish as well when I would visit family here, until I moved here, then after 2 weeks here, started working, and the REAL feeling kicked in.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:06 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,780,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityflower View Post
I feel you, I thought those things made me feel local-ish as well when I would visit family here, until I moved here, then after 2 weeks here, started working, and the REAL feeling kicked in.
I think that may be the difference. The "real" feeling is what I love about living here. I work during the day, and have virtually endless possibilities in the evening. My wife and I are both in our early 40s. Some nights we stay at home and watch movies, throw something on the grill, etc. Other nights we go out. At least here we have the opportunity to have 100 options of things to do on any given day, even if it's just floating in the pool, not worrying about weather.

We have been going to the strip more, mostly to see our friends' bands. We've learned how to "do the strip" very inexpensively, and it's just another option for a night out. Pair that with the dozens of live music venues around the valley, and we've found that this city, even the suburbs, are anything BUT strip malls and chain restaurants.

Other than Roberto's a couple times a month, we have yet to find the need to eat at a national chain. There are just too many other places to have that need.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:06 PM

661 posts, read 630,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
If you have a reliable, well made, older, economical car the car insurance and registration isn't expensive. I thought we were going to get a considerable increase in car insurance moving to Las Vegas from what I'd read from locals on here, but it wasn't more than a couple of dollars more a month. Our car is a 2000 or 2001 and still going strong. Also our gas mileage improved considerably after moving here.
I also don't feel the car insurance is expensive here. I pay $83 per month for a new car and 2012 model with full coverage(100/300/100). My latest FICO score is 839.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:08 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,792,180 times
Quote:
People are always moving here. that's a fact, but people leave just as quick as they come. Ive had 3 neighbors in 6 months. All moved out of town.
Simply not true. In terms of inter city transiency LV is little lower than Dallas. So yes there is some in and out but mostly in.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:05 PM

635 posts, read 745,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
#6 according to this list from 2014: 2014 National Movers Study | United Van Lines

#3 fastest growing cities as of 2012: No. 3: Las Vegas, NV - In Photos: The Fastest-Growing Cities In The U.S. - Forbes

Some people like it here, and others would like to be here. But, as mentioned, it's not for everyone.
According to Forbes, one of the sites you mentioned, in 2015 Las Vegas isn't even in the top 20.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:11 PM

635 posts, read 745,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 909er View Post
I'm fond of Vegas, I don't live there so I can't speak as though I do, but let me take away The Strip for a moment. To me, that leaves the Red Rock and Summerlin area as the most desirable to live. I like those areas, we come to Vegas enough that we feel sort of 'localish', meaning we run to Smiths or Costco for stuff, and party on the Strip, but use much more of the city than just the strip.

So to me, now again minus the Strip, if I were "stuck" in Summerlin, it seems like any normal city. Restaurants, movie theater, Costco, etc. Not sure what kinds of external entertainment some people need...I live outside L.A., but I never go "into L.A." or any of those areas for entertainment. I just stay around my house, go to the malls and movies, eat, etc...

The Nevada COL is appealing.
You take away the Strip and you have nothing of substance at all. You have a red rock canyon that doesn't nearly compete with areas in Arizona (Grand Canyon) and Utah (places like Zion) both only a couple hours away. Summerlin is a cookie cutter as is most neighborhoods in Las Vegas...do you like the color brown or beige or tan.

Again living here and visiting here is way different. You never go into to LA...do you ever go to the beach or the zoo or an aquarium? Do you enjoy the city?

Old 07-29-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV10101 View Post
You take away the Strip and you have nothing of substance at all. You have a red rock canyon that doesn't nearly compete with areas in Arizona (Grand Canyon) and Utah (places like Zion) both only a couple hours away. Summerlin is a cookie cutter as is most neighborhoods in Las Vegas...do you like the color brown or beige or tan.

Again living here and visiting here is way different. You never go into to LA...do you ever go to the beach or the zoo or an aquarium? Do you enjoy the city?
I have dozens of live music venues. If that's not your thing, there are pool halls, bowling alleys, theaters. What is NOT here that is of interest to you?

Who doesn't go to L.A.? You? I certainly do. Often. I go to the beach at least once a month. I'm taking my brother and sister in law with their 2 kids to LegoLand and the San Diego Zoo next month.

I normally go to Hollywood Strip at least once a month to watch friends play at the Whisky or Roxy. The nice thing is I don't have to live there to enjoy it. I get to live here and have anything I could want within a few hour drive or couple hour flight.

If you live in this valley and can't find something that interests you either here or nearby, I guess I don't really have an answer for you, as it's not something I can imagine.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:22 PM

69 posts, read 115,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LV10101 View Post
In my neighborhood all the houses are beige or tan. mine used to be pink but it was painted before we moved in. I don't wanna down anyone who likes it here. But it was too hyped up in my opinion. But like I said before, Our relatives have been here since the 90s & have great careers. Its funny, They love it here but are always vacationing to get away. And no one seems as happy as they lead on. Its so great here yet their vibes say otherwise. LOL.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
In my neighborhood all the houses are beige or tan. mine used to be pink but it was painted before we moved in. I don't wanna down anyone who likes it here. But it was too hyped up in my opinion. But like I said before, Our relatives have been here since the 90s & have great careers. Its funny, They love it here but are always vacationing to get away. And no one seems as happy as they lead on. Its so great here yet their vibes say otherwise. LOL.
Isn't the point of vacationing to get away? People in Hawaii go on vacation too, no? LOL Fortunately, many of us have the money to do so, as we get to keep more of what we earn in this state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas