U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2015, 01:28 PM

9 posts, read 7,599 times

Advertisements

I can't find any useful information on this and was hoping to get some answers on here - A longtime Vegas resident told me that I should buy water softeners for my rental properties because the water is so hard out here that it will ruin the pipes in 5 years or so.

Is there any validity to this?

Would appreciate any responses as I couldn't find much on google...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 01:41 PM

128 posts, read 133,400 times
Depending on the age of the home, yes. Assuming it still has pipes. Most modern construction uses a plastic flex form tubing.

It does help protect your fixtures in the home such as facets, shower heads the dishwasher.

It will also add value to the rental property. Homes with water softeners are much more in demand than those without. I often get asked to include it in my search when I work with those that are looking for a place to lease (which is daily..lol.)

Have it included in your lease that the tenant is responsible to maintain the unit. You may want to put a work instruction together for them to follow and post it above the unit. If you don't already, get a home warranty for $500 to $600 a year. In the lease you add that the tenant will pay the $50-$60 deductible (this makes sure they have skin in the game not to abuse your appliances and all that while at the same time makes them feel good that they know if something big goes out like the AC units, water heater or your softener unit that it will be repaired or replaced in a timely manor).

Let me know if you need any referrals or anything.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggerman6 View Post
Depending on the age of the home, yes. Assuming it still has pipes. Most modern construction uses a plastic flex form tubing.

It does help protect your fixtures in the home such as facets, shower heads the dishwasher.

It will also add value to the rental property. Homes with water softeners are much more in demand than those without. I often get asked to include it in my search when I work with those that are looking for a place to lease (which is daily..lol.)

Have it included in your lease that the tenant is responsible to maintain the unit. You may want to put a work instruction together for them to follow and post it above the unit. If you don't already, get a home warranty for $500 to $600 a year. In the lease you add that the tenant will pay the $50-$60 deductible (this makes sure they have skin in the game not to abuse your appliances and all that while at the same time makes them feel good that they know if something big goes out like the AC units, water heater or your softener unit that it will be repaired or replaced in a timely manor).

Let me know if you need any referrals or anything.
Thank you very much, that was very useful information!

All 4 properties are less than 2 years old, so I'd like to assume that they all use plastic flex form tubing, but I can't be sure.

If I do buy water softeners for the properties, would it be fair to offer to cover 1/2 the cost to my tenants if they'd like a water softener, or should I just cover the whole amount?

And I'd love if you could refer some solid companies to use. Thanks again!!

Old 08-04-2015, 02:17 PM

128 posts, read 133,400 times
You are very welcome.

They most likely do then. Next time you are at one of the properties go to the electrical panel, there should be a sticker inside the door that will say what type of non-metallic tubing is used. That is where I generally find it (not sure if it is a code thing or or builder specific).

You could do that. You could point out the benefits to them such as cleaner dishes coming out of the dishwasher and the glass around any shower is easier to clean (if they have them). You could have your property manager type up an addendum to the lease regarding their maintenance responsibilities. Anyone that does not take you up on the offer you could then just cover the whole amount. I would plan on bumping up the rent amount $25 to $50 when the next term ends if they don't jump in now (I wouldn't tell them that). Bunch of ways you could do it to get your ROI.

I will send you a PM with two we have used here in the valley with our properties and refer my clients to.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:41 PM

Thanks triggerman!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas