Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 05:08 PM

210 posts, read 250,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
What's up with all these new one post wonders.

I've lived here for over 30 years, never had an incident. I ride a bicycle all over the streets and trails in early morning, never felt unsafe.
try walking maryland parkway near trop. at night.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:43 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
You've been here 12 years. You lost the right to ***** 8 years ago.

Leave if you don't like it.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:45 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_A_Braun View Post
A.B. 109 is the early release legislation the Jerry Brown enacted a few years ago to "ease prison overcrowding" and Prop 47 is the one that turned many felonies into misdemeanors both retroactively and going forward resulting is considerably less prison/jail time than a violator would have been subjected to.
The measure requires misdemeanor sentencing instead of felony for the following crimes:
  • Shoplifting, where the value of property stolen does not exceed $950
  • Grand theft, where the value of the stolen property does not exceed $950
  • Receiving stolen property, where the value of the property does not exceed $950
  • Forgery, where the value of forged check, bond or bill does not exceed $950
  • Fraud, where the value of the fraudulent check, draft or order does not exceed $950
  • Writing a bad check, where the value of the check does not exceed $950
  • Personal use of most illegal drugs
California Proposition 47, Reduced Penalties for Some Crimes Initiative (2014) - Ballotpedia

Old 08-06-2015, 10:22 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,625,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativenewyorker58 View Post
HUGE drug problems bringing on even more crime!!!. Something need to be looked into more. No place for kids.. If i knew 12 yrs ago what i know now about Vegas .. I never would have come here.. Good only for few day visit!. Kids have very small chances of even graduating here!. No feel of community at all..Yes.. we are looking to get out of here soon. Cost of living is decent.,although still not worth it.. My own opinion.. Thanks ..
...who's fault is that...?

Old 08-06-2015, 10:24 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,625,341 times
I'll say it again... The biggest plague Las Vegas faces is the amount of people who live here and whine about living here. They look like idiots. Don't like it? Don't let the door hit ya on the way out.
Then again... Moving would actually require a bit of action from people in a situation they don't like... And see, tantrums are much easier than action.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:31 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,420,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
The measure requires misdemeanor sentencing instead of felony for the following crimes:
  • Shoplifting, where the value of property stolen does not exceed $950
  • Grand theft, where the value of the stolen property does not exceed $950
  • Receiving stolen property, where the value of the property does not exceed $950
  • Forgery, where the value of forged check, bond or bill does not exceed $950
  • Fraud, where the value of the fraudulent check, draft or order does not exceed $950
  • Writing a bad check, where the value of the check does not exceed $950
  • Personal use of most illegal drugs
California Proposition 47, Reduced Penalties for Some Crimes Initiative (2014) - Ballotpedia
And let's not forget how it passed. Please do not call it the "Reduced Penalties for Some Crimes Initiative". The actual name of the proposition was "The Safe Neighborhoods and Schools Act". Here is the original prop as submitted for approval https://oag.ca.gov/system/files/init...0Funding)).pdf.

Now since the majority of the uninformed electorate really don't care about the wording of a prop but base their vote only on the title of it, it is no wonder that the prop passed with great numbers. I mean who doesn't want safe schools and neighborhoods.

So now, because the majority of the illiterate voting public decided to save our neighborhoods and schools, all those crimes above are now misdemeanors instead of felonies as they used to be.

Steal a gun (valued at $950 or less) as the majority of guns are is now a misdemeanor, for example.

These (to steal a phrase from scoopydoo) [excrement]heads steal a gun and do a few days in county gen pop then get out drive a few miles to NV to commit additional crimes.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:42 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_A_Braun View Post
And let's not forget how it passed. Please do not call it the "Reduced Penalties for Some Crimes Initiative". The actual name of the proposition was "The Safe Neighborhoods and Schools Act". Here is the original prop as submitted for approval https://oag.ca.gov/system/files/init...0Funding)).pdf.

Now since the majority of the uninformed electorate really don't care about the wording of a prop but base their vote only on the title of it, it is no wonder that the prop passed with great numbers. I mean who doesn't want safe schools and neighborhoods.

So now, because the majority of the illiterate voting public decided to save our neighborhoods and schools, all those crimes above are now misdemeanors instead of felonies as they used to be.

Steal a gun (valued at $950 or less) as the majority of guns are is now a misdemeanor, for example.

These (to steal a phrase from scoopydoo) [excrement]heads steal a gun and do a few days in county gen pop then get out drive a few miles to NV to commit additional crimes.
If i remember the CA problem it was completely out of prison space and unwilling to build any more even though the existing prison were over loaded all to beat hell.

The alternative was the feds were going to force the release of increasing numbers of prisoners. And of course CA has the fabulously feather bedded correction officer system driving costs out of sight.

If guns were treated the same as beer they should fix that.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:11 PM

146 posts, read 220,414 times
lol at the whining about crime. Guess where I'm from? Miami. Las Vegas is like living in a Polly Pocket by comparison.

Go live in an underground bunker if you're so concerned. Or move to The Hamptons.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:45 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Ironically, statistically, crime seems to go up after a recession, not as one would expect, at the height of a recession. Given how badly we were beat up during this last recession, you would have thought that it wouldn't have even been safe to go grocery shopping, during that period, or even take a short walk in the neighborhood, with all the desperate people running about, but surprise, surprise!

I read the Local Briefs in the paper everyday, and it seems that many of these crimes are gang-related or someone killing someone that they know.

If I can survive 81 safe trips to Tijuana, over the last 19 years, walking about their supposedly dangerous Zona Norte district, until 4-5am, I can certainly survive this crime wave!

Old 08-07-2015, 12:55 AM

327 posts, read 398,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by single_momlv View Post
I read LVRJ online almost every day and it seams crime is exploding in Las Vegas.
Just today I read about two bodies found in a van on Lake Mead, bank robbery in SW part of the town, shooting in Central Valley and etc. I have been reading about shootings and killings everyday.

I don't feel safe in Las Vegas anymore, how about you? What alarm company do you have and how to protect your family from home invasions that are happening lately as well.

Any advice is appreciated.

Jenna
Tell you what. Crime in Vegas isn't bad at all. You have to live in areas outside of the Strip, in Summerlin or Henderson…and you are fine. People don't mess around in these areas, and the cops are very good in Henderson, top notch force.

Anything close to the Strip or Downtown is bad…but it is not as bad as other big cities. Most of the Vegas criminals are not tough at all, but are weak street hustlers that deal drugs.

overall, Vegas criminals are soft. Go to the rougher areas of the bigger East Coast cites, and you have criminals that won't hesitate to make a move.

In Vegas, the gangs are weak on the street, however, the organized crime element is very smart and have sophisticated schemes…they will attempt to take your money with a handshake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas