Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 04:53 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
The measure requires misdemeanor sentencing instead of felony for the following crimes:
  • Shoplifting, where the value of property stolen does not exceed $950
  • Grand theft, where the value of the stolen property does not exceed $950
  • Receiving stolen property, where the value of the property does not exceed $950
  • Forgery, where the value of forged check, bond or bill does not exceed $950
  • Fraud, where the value of the fraudulent check, draft or order does not exceed $950
  • Writing a bad check, where the value of the check does not exceed $950
  • Personal use of most illegal drugs
California Proposition 47, Reduced Penalties for Some Crimes Initiative (2014) - Ballotpedia
I don't think these are the crimes that we are seeing an increase in, but perhaps people who participate in those charming activities also have other behaviors that we are now enjoying. Such as burglaries, drug-related shootings, etc.

California hosed us back in the late eighties or early nineties ( I forget exactly when) when the first passed their three-strikes law. Serious gang bangers afraid of being locked up forever suddenly moved here in droves and we had an explosion of gang violence, particularly in the projects, and in North Las Vegas.

The NLVPD got very tough on gangs, as did Metro and the problems decreased.

Not sure what's causing the latest outbreak, but I suspect the local meth problem might be making this area more profitable ( thus attractive ) to the gangs and drug dealers again.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:52 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,626,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCOWPB View Post
lol at the whining about crime. Guess where I'm from? Miami. Las Vegas is like living in a Polly Pocket by comparison.

Go live in an underground bunker if you're so concerned. Or move to The Hamptons.
As far as Violent Crime goes, Miami has a rate of 11.91 victims per 1,000 people... Milwaukee is 13.70 per 1,000.

Las Vegas is 7.88

Not sure why everyone is freaking out.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:00 AM

698 posts, read 985,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
It's a shill anti-vegas post trying to create FUD.

Noodle salad man, noodle salad . . .

Old 08-07-2015, 09:10 AM

206 posts, read 240,742 times
I live in a small town in Minnesota. I can tell you with confidence that, per thousand people, you are just as safe in the better areas of Las Vegas as you are in my small town. You would be shocked at what happens here in Mayberry. My police friends tell me that they have all the crime they can handle here.

Common sense is your best defensive asset anywhere, anymore.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:43 PM

146 posts, read 220,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
As far as Violent Crime goes, Miami has a rate of 11.91 victims per 1,000 people... Milwaukee is 13.70 per 1,000.

Las Vegas is 7.88

Unhappy people aren't truly comfortable until others are unhappy too. That's why.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:51 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
Ridiculous. Even the Las Vegas bashers don't bash crime. It's on the uptick. We can see that as we do our daily tasks around the city.

But it's not bad for a city this size. Get two million people together and there's going to be crime. Get TWO people together and there will often be crime.

"Hey! Crime is increasing these past few months," is fact. Not bashing. You're going to have to come to grips with the fact that there are Las Vegas cheerleaders who will wave pom poms at any problem that crops up. Either because they have pegged their self-esteem on loving this city, or their livelihood, or they just demand that the glass is half full -- even if it's crashed on the floor.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:18 PM

146 posts, read 220,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Either because they have pegged their self-esteem on loving this city, or their livelihood, or they just demand that the glass is half full -- even if it's crashed on the floor.

I certainly don't. Some of the best places in this country suffer from pretty bad crime. Las Vegas' safety (or lack of it) has little to do with how I feel about it.

The thread's initial post read like a Newsmax headline and I'm scoffing at it becuz I come from a region of this country where violent crime is often a horror show happening in real time. So if it's on the uptick in Clark County, that's unfortunate, but if we're talking today, with current numbers, it's not abysmal. I think Las Vegas has a long way to go before it becomes Liberty City or Camden, NJ. And yes, I will make comparisons to other cities becuz there is a culture on this board of fear-mongering and often times, people sound hilarious with their moaning; almost like someone from a Bravo reality show. People could argue and say "OH WE'RE IN THE LAS VEGAS SECTION! WHY COMPARE?"

Um, because a metro area of 2 million people being reasonable with violent crime when compared to similar sized metros is a good thing and the spin campaigns on here are trying to convince people otherwise. But you can't depend on people from the internet to be reasonable with their viewpoints. I get it.

Like I said in my previous post, negativity, and the stirring up of it, feels good for people who are unhappy. You could even make the same argument as what you mentioned, that their ego requires it to sleep at night. This forum is a perfect example of that. There is a chasm of people who loathe Las Vegas (for legitimate reasons, sure), but like an awkward homophobic uncle at the dinner table, or a Crossfit enthusiast, they'll tell you about it til their veins bulge, when everyone else in the room is just ready to talk about Donald Trump or hiking or something. They'll find some way to turn something inert into the worst thing ever. Why? It feels good to wipe the cyber smile off of someone's face when you're miserable.

The cheerleaders are the same way, I'm sure. But negativity is what keeps topics on the front page - ANYWHERE. Just saying.

Old 08-09-2015, 02:29 PM

206 posts, read 182,968 times
The resort of Las Vegas was built by murderers, thieves, pimps, and drug dealers, as a place for people to act on their nefarious impulses. Nothing has changed. Las Vegas has and always will be a haven for criminals of all types.

Old 08-09-2015, 04:53 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,901,711 times
Closing thread as this has veered completely off topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas