Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 10:07 AM

635 posts, read 746,230 times

Advertisements

Go to Denver; Better environment, a real city, 300 days of sunshine with moderate temperatures during summer...not in the middle of the desert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 10:13 AM

128 posts, read 152,122 times
OP: You are asking a fair question. Let me add a few more facts to what Raiderman posted.

1) 1/3 of the working population work on the strip or in the gaming industry.
2) Industry rankings are A) Gaming B) Government State/Fed C) Hospital/Medical D) Construction E) Education
2.a) Light industrial and small business are part of the mix of course too.

The valley is in great need of teachers, we have a 900 shortage at this moment. Administrators too.

I agree with Raiderman that you only need contacts on the Gaming side of the house.

All others are just like any other town. If there is an opening and you have the knowledge and skill set, you will have a shot. A large part of it is what jobs are available at the time you are looking.... It may come down to the better job economic conditions between the two cities.... I would think that advantage goes to Denver today.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:13 AM

698 posts, read 986,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayDummy View Post
I am mainly seeking information on the Las Vegas area, specifically regarding employment. My curiosity about Colorado's legal marijuana is a minor thought process, and of little consequence. Was just responding to your comment. I know people in the Denver area, and have explored our options there for awhile, as her job offer has been on the table longer. The LV offer is a new development, and I am hoping to learn more about what to expect from its seemingly struggling economy. I would like to make the LV option happen, but want to be realistic too. Thanks.
Denver

Old 08-05-2015, 10:14 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qingguy View Post
Then you should post that question in the Denver C-D forum. You've curiously only posted in the Las Vegas forum. You surely plan to do your due diligence on Denver as well and not just take the word of Las Vegas C-D forum as to where to relocate, right . . .

Or, post in the City vs City section of the forum, a subforum of the general US forum. As always, take the opinions on either city with a grain of salt, particularly the ones at either extreme.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:24 AM

10 posts, read 15,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggerman6 View Post
OP: You are asking a fair question. Let me add a few more facts to what Raiderman posted.

1) 1/3 of the working population work on the strip or in the gaming industry.
2) Industry rankings are A) Gaming B) Government State/Fed C) Hospital/Medical D) Construction E) Education
2.a) Light industrial and small business are part of the mix of course too.

The valley is in great need of teachers, we have a 900 shortage at this moment. Administrators too.

I agree with Raiderman that you only need contacts on the Gaming side of the house.

All others are just like any other town. If there is an opening and you have the knowledge and skill set, you will have a shot. A large part of it is what jobs are available at the time you are looking.... It may come down to the better job economic conditions between the two cities.... I would think that advantage goes to Denver today.
Thanks for the insights. I've seen the issues with educators and academics. Is there a reason for the teaching-skillets-shortage? Low wages? I notice that many criticize the Vegas school system (both primary and secondary), saying that Vegas does not really support education....so is it mainly a systemic issue? While we do not have kids to think of, I do believe that solid school systems raise the quality of an area.

As for me, I am open to miscellaneous opportunities, and just want to sustain our quality of life. If I felt better about LV's economy, we'd likely give it a whirl without much second thought. But the force does not seem strong with this one...

Old 08-05-2015, 10:31 AM

635 posts, read 746,230 times
Quote:
Thanks for the insights. I've seen the issues with educators and academics. Is there a reason for the teaching-skillets-shortage? Low wages? I notice that many criticize the Vegas school system (both primary and secondary), saying that Vegas does not really support education....so is it mainly a systemic issue? While we do not have kids to think of, I do believe that solid school systems raise the quality of an area.

As for me, I am open to miscellaneous opportunities, and just want to sustain our quality of life. If I felt better about LV's economy, we'd likely give it a whirl without much second thought. But the force does not seem strong with this one...
Go with your gut...Las Vegas is not the place to go...use the force Dummy.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:08 PM

661 posts, read 631,668 times
Las Vegas has too much traffic. I would pursue your options in Denver.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnftcret View Post
Las Vegas has too much traffic. I would pursue your options in Denver.

Really? I've seen nothing but opposite opinions of Vegas traffic. Terrible drivers, yes, but most seem to agree that traffic is relatively non-existent. Am I wrong?

Denver on the other hand, has apparently become heavily congested traffic-wise. Neither should be a major issue though, as her LV commute will be a few miles, and the CO one will be away from downtown. But still good to know. Coming from DC where we have 95/66/270/Beltway, I am hopeful both are a step up.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:43 PM

Anyways, thanks for the responses. I am not really looking to be sold on LV in terms of activities, weather, social etc....I am fine with all of that and believe I can enjoy myself there. Mostly, I am trying to gauge the economic environment, and whether I should realistically believe I will secure a decent job within the first 6 months. Any inputs on that would be most welcome. Thanks!

Old 08-05-2015, 01:04 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times
Quote:
Really? I've seen nothing but opposite opinions of Vegas traffic. Terrible drivers, yes, but most seem to agree that traffic is relatively non-existent. Am I wrong?

Denver on the other hand, has apparently become heavily congested traffic-wise. Neither should be a major issue though, as her LV commute will be a few miles, and the CO one will be away from downtown. But still good to know. Coming from DC where we have 95/66/270/Beltway, I am hopeful both are a step up.
Compared to the beltway, the traffic here is laughable. I get stuck in one of 3 places, if I have to drive in certain directions between 4:30p and 6:30p - 215 West at the interchange with 15, "The Spaghetti Bowl" where you have the cloverleaf at the 15/95, and 95 North from about Charleston to the Spaghetti Bowl.

Other than that, virtually nonexistant comparatively speaking to the Beltway. Even when traffic is backed up, figure it is going to add 20 minutes to wherever you are going. it's not hours of gridlock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: