Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 10:20 AM

41 posts, read 36,580 times

Advertisements

That's a good point. I speak some French but I am a little rusty. We are considering learning Spanish as I notice it is often requested as a desirable skill on job specifications, if not essential!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 10:37 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
You are being unreasonably optimistic about your employment chances. And I think your husband is basically unemployable as it stands. There is no way I would move abroad without job(s) already lined up. Otherwise, it will be an extended vacation and serious hit on your savings -- nothing more.

I wouldn't move to the UK for the same reasons I don't recommend you move to Las Vegas -- I don't have the network in place to make a go of it. And I'm not wealthy enough to move there and be completely unconcerned about finances. I wouldn't even attempt it without first having my network in place -- bank account, driver's license, proper visa and the rest for both myself AND my spouse. And if I were interested in moving to the UK, I wouldn't attempt it unless I could purchase a house and pay cash, and have at least several years of living expenses available, plus investment income to tide me over.

The illegal aliens who stream across our border from Mexico have a better shot at finding employment and getting rudimentary roots down. They have a better plan in place -- they can obtain counterfeit papers, they have a large and extended support network, and they blend in. And if they are deported, who cares? It's back to Mexico and they'll make another go of it in a few months.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:51 AM

41 posts, read 36,580 times
We have put quite a lot of thought and effort into this and this is not just a whim! ... And we do have pensions to supplement any income so it's all good. If we fail, then we will have had a blast for a couple of years so what's not to like. We have property in the UK to return to so whatever the outcome we will be ok! So can you actually tell me something positive we have going for us? Is it really all doom and gloom? Do you enjoy living there - I hope your papers aren't counterfeit!

Old 08-18-2015, 11:00 AM

2,928 posts, read 3,552,974 times
OK Scoop. If they can't make it in Vegas, can they relocate anywhere in the United States successful?

Old 08-18-2015, 11:01 AM

128 posts, read 152,152 times
No problem, this town was built on the bigger picture, from it's founding to today. It will be a great adventurer for you both. You guys will love some things, enjoy the quirks of our town and dislike a few things. But I suppose that would be true of any adventure like this. You guys will be fine...

Old 08-18-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich111 View Post
We have put quite a lot of thought and effort into this and this is not just a whim! ... And we do have pensions to supplement any income so it's all good. If we fail, then we will have had a blast for a couple of years so what's not to like. We have property in the UK to return to so whatever the outcome we will be ok! So can you actually tell me something positive we have going for us? Is it really all doom and gloom? Do you enjoy living there - I hope your papers aren't counterfeit!

The problem is employment. If you had the funds to not care about employment, that would be one thing. But you don't. You have to make a living here.

It's hard for transplants to find work in this down. Even transplants from the next state over. The people who do the hiring hire locals first. (Locals with a long local employment history.) And since there are still A GREAT DEAL of such people who are unemployed, you're going to find yourself at the back of a very, very long line.

I wouldn't move here from abroad without jobs lined up. Ask anyone who lives here. Only the most deluded Las Vegas cheerleaders will disagree. There are a great many people in this town who will tell you what you want to hear -- and try to extract some money from you. It's just the nature of things here.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
OK Scoop. If they can't make it in Vegas, can they relocate anywhere in the United States successful?
No, I don't think they can. Would YOU move to England without a job, a bank account, driver's license, valid visa for your spouse, support network, or the necessary funds -- AND do so in your 50s?

These aren't unattached kids with backpacks, after all.

The only way I'd do this is to ease into it. Rent a place for six months and start putting roots down. Network and meet people. Get papers, visas and licenses in order. Do this for a couple years and THEN try to make the permanent move. The plan -- as outlined -- combines the worst parts of shooting and then aiming and leaping and then looking.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:16 AM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
Pretty much EVERYONE in Vegas is a transplant. How many of the two million people who live in metro Vegas there grew up there?

Also, from everything I've heard, if you have an education, a work background, no criminal history, present well, and can pass a drug test, you have a leg up over a lot of job applicants. And I'm going to say this, I think an English accent will give them an advantage for a lot of customer facing positions.

The big question is, how long can a transplant hold out before they can get a job. This couple is stating that they can do it for a year. I bet that well short of the end of that year, they can get jobs that can float a modest living in LV, and they'll have the rest of their savings to back them up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
The problem is employment. If you had the funds to not care about employment, that would be one thing. But you don't. You have to make a living here.

It's hard for transplants to find work in this down. Even transplants from the next state over. The people who do the hiring hire locals first. (Locals with a long local employment history.) And since there are still A GREAT DEAL of such people who are unemployed, you're going to find yourself at the back of a very, very long line.

I wouldn't move here from abroad without jobs lined up. Ask anyone who lives here. Only the most deluded Las Vegas cheerleaders will disagree. There are a great many people in this town who will tell you what you want to hear -- and try to extract some money from you. It's just the nature of things here.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post

Also, from everything I've heard, if you have an education, a work background, no criminal history, present well, and can pass a drug test, you have a leg up over a lot of job applicants. And I'm going to say this, I think an English accent will give them an advantage for a lot of customer facing positions.

But you've never lived here so you don't actually know this.

And let's not forget the 600-pound gorilla in the room -- her husband does not have a resident alien card. And presumably he doesn't speak Spanish, nor can he fit in with the undocumented Latino community. What then?

Old 08-18-2015, 11:35 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,279,422 times
I moved to Scotland when I was 24 without a job, bank account, driver's license, valid visa, support network, necessary funds and I made it work. Lived in a flat in Aberdour over looking the North Sea. Was a 20 minute rail ride from Edinburgh. I flew into England. Met my friend there from Norway. We spent a few nights in London. Then we drove to Scotland.

The OP mentioned they had a few friends here in Las Vegas so they're not entirely without a support network. They also must have some funds if they're traveling visiting here frequently and considering living here for a year looking for work. If anything their age and experience gives them more capability to handle what my come. Her husband can get a family based visa with work permit through her like my husband did. From what I can tell on the Strip loads of foreigners of all ages work here.

Anyways it's their dream so let them have it and give it a go while they still can. What's the worse that could happen? They fail or have a medical emergency and have to go back to the UK where they have all the things mentioned above to bring them back. That's been my experience when my foreign friends in the States their age have had troubles. Someone gets cancer and they have to go back to their home country where their friends and family are to help them.

After Scotland I moved to Norway and made it work. I didn't speak the language but I had friends there and I could have stayed living there longer or moved around Europe some more. Instead I'd had my dream experience and then I choose to come back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: