Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 01:43 AM

145 posts, read 147,313 times

Advertisements

It doesn't matter what facts I or anyone else post. They aren't going to change your opinion just like your facts aren't going to change mine. I'm not saying firearms or anything in this country is a utopia. Facts and statistics are biased on both sides of every argument. On the criminal part, should we require background checks for knives and baseball bats next? Where do you stop? There is evil in this world and there has been before firearms were invented, and in our lifetime I doubt it's gonna change. People talk about not being able to own guns unless you have proper training. In a conceal and carry class I took years ago there was stats on the New York City police concerning shots the officers fired vs shots landed on the criminal. Needless to say, your odds of getting hit by one of their bullets as a bystander were greater than the criminal. I've shared my personal experiences with firearms. Thankfully they are all positive. I also know no matter what I say or what stats or numbers from studies I put up, someone will have stats showing I'm wrong. We could go back and forth forever and it wouldn't change anything. I will continue to own and collect firearms and help others when I can. I hope you all 'on the other side' continue to stand for what you believe in. Since we are in the USA, thankfully we can do that. I'll gladly read others points of view, but from now on I don't believe I will be posting in this thread anymore, I have derailed it enough the way it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 04:53 AM

8,418 posts, read 4,576,990 times
So, again, no one can explain what to do with the guns the criminals have. Just insult the gun owners and gun culture.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:24 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
No, just go back to the last "which weapon should I buy" thread for my plan on tightening up our gun loopholes. I'm not about to type it twice.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:08 PM

850 posts, read 1,026,777 times
Geez, all you anti-gun folks should spend your time/energy contacting the politicians with your views rather than going off topic here. As Spock (RIP) would say "highly illogical". :-) You aren't going to change our minds, you'll just annoy us and we'll just send even more money to NRA/GOA/NSSF.

What you are doing here is similar to telling people in a 'great steak house suggestions' thread that they should not eat meat, veal/pate is evil, cow farts cause global warming. (yeah they kinda do do) (psst - betcha ScoopLV will correct me about veal/pate)

edit: it's also the same as going to a "suggest places to gamble" thread and saying gambling is dumb.

Last edited by jayway; 08-27-2015 at 04:12 PM..

Old 08-27-2015, 03:13 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayway View Post
Geez, all you anti-gun folks should spend your time/energy contacting the politicians with your views rather than going off topic here. As Spock (RIP) would say "highly illogical". :-) You aren't going to change our minds, you'll just annoy us and we'll just send even more money to NRA/GOA/NSSF.

What you are doing here is similar to telling people in a 'great steak house suggestions' thread that they should not eat meat, veal/pate is evil, cow farts cause global warming. (yeah they kinda do do) (psst - betcha ScoopLV will correct me about veal/pate)
That's par for the course with the keyboard warriors.. Always pushing their individual agendas, although they seldom have facts, only emotion and opinion to support them. They are not to be taken seriously, but it's fun to poke at them with sticks (although they tend to change the topic and not address specific questions)..

Now where is my wishing well in which to toss a few pennies. Oh wait, it would be better to go out and purchase my own wishing well...

Old 08-27-2015, 03:14 PM

850 posts, read 1,026,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
No, just go back to the last "which weapon should I buy" thread for my plan on tightening up our gun loopholes. I'm not about to type it twice.

Psst, scoopster, most computers/digital devices have this capability called "cut and paste"...and there's this new internet thing called "linking." You're welcome.

Last edited by jayway; 08-27-2015 at 03:23 PM..

Old 08-27-2015, 03:48 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
People should also be smart enough to use a search engine.

The executive summary is that we should aggressively enforce the laws that we already have. And we should turn the NICS from the useless "most states barely participate" system that it currently is, to the enforcement watchdog that it could be if it were done correctly. Many states have never added a name to the NICS database. And these are the states where the neo-Nazis and preppers live.

Dylan Roof obtained a firearm due to a clerical error. The system doesn't work. It certainly didn't work in that case.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:54 PM

698 posts, read 986,013 times
OP, forget these lunatics, if you want to buy a gun buy a gun, my god. Your question was simple.

I would recommend purchasing a used gun, you may not even be a gun person and if not you didn't waste a lot of money figuring this out. If you enjoy going to the range, desert and feeling secure in your home great, take the money you saved and buy a different/2nd gun. Maybe you buy a pistol first and then get a shotgun. Skeet and trap shooting up at CC Shooting Range can be a lot of fun.

We bought my wife a used 9mm, got her some training, spend time at the range etc. She enjoys it and enjoys the comfort knowing that IF she had to protect herself or her family she could. Recently we had a cop staying with us who showed her his off duty carry weapon, smaller and lighter than hers so now she wants one of these too. I'll look at used first and hopefully find a good deal on one and basically get her two different handguns for the price of one.

You can look at used on-line, gun shops, Facebook and other locations. I'd avoid purchasing at a gun show but it's a great place to look around and see what your interested in. Good luck!

PS I have an opinion on gun control but figured since you didn't ask for it I wouldn't push it on you.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:50 PM

15,844 posts, read 14,479,382 times
^
The used gun idea is a good one, I've done that in the past. But one caveat to watch out for is that gun owners who get a lemon, and can't get the manufacturer to get it to work, will just sell the gun on.

I would take this one step further. The OP should get training BEFORE buying a gun.

Most of the training sites are related to gun ranges, and a lot of ranges rent guns, and a lot of gun ranges are part of gun stores. The OP should work a deal with them, that as part of the training he'll be allowed to try out a few different brands of guns. The implication here is that after the training, if he develops a favorite out of the various guns he shoots, he'll buy one from that store. He may well be able to make it part of the deal that some part of costs of the training/gun rental be credited toward a gun purchase.

Old 08-27-2015, 05:19 PM

145 posts, read 147,313 times
Please tell us more about the states where all the Neo Nazis and preppers live that don't do NICS checks? According the the FBI, more states use NICS than ones who don't. If they don't use it, they have their own approved system. When I held a Federal Firearms License, I called in hundreds amd hundreds of NICS checks.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ni...ticipation-map

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas