Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 02:25 PM

162 posts, read 242,140 times

Advertisements

I am new to LV and Cox. I brought my own Motorola Modem with 802.11 N settings. It was quite fast in conjunction with my Belkin Wifi using Comcast.. I connected it to Cox and my wifi speeds was at the most .8 Mbps Download. I couldn't figure out why it was so slow in the 15 Mbps package I contracted with. After some days of searching why, I discovered Cox wasn't transmitting in the 802.11 N setting. I disconnected the N setting in Devise Manager Advance Network settings and the speed increases to at least 13.80 Mpbs Download. (I contracted for 15 Mbps.)

So if your internet speed is slow with Cox, check out your 802.11 N setting and try it disengaged.

Why doesn't Cox transmit in 802.11 N, or they just wanting me to rent their Modem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 05:41 PM

41 posts, read 68,643 times
I'm reading a lot of members here are streaming videos (netflix etc) on this thread & am wondering if Cox internet service have data cap here in LV and whether or not they're enforcing it.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:05 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,311,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlarge View Post
I'm reading a lot of members here are streaming videos (netflix etc) on this thread & am wondering if Cox internet service have data cap here in LV and whether or not they're enforcing it.
Gigabit and Ultimate have a cap of 2000GB, Premier 700GB, Preferred 350GB. This number is uploads and downloads added together.

These are new higher caps. Before I exceeded the cap every month for a year and nothing happened. I'm on Premier and haven't exceeded the new 700GB cap, so I'm unsure if they are still lenient about it. I imagine they will just ask you to bump to the next tier up.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:15 PM

119 posts, read 95,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvansan View Post
I am new to LV and Cox. I brought my own Motorola Modem with 802.11 N settings. It was quite fast in conjunction with my Belkin Wifi using Comcast.. I connected it to Cox and my wifi speeds was at the most .8 Mbps Download. I couldn't figure out why it was so slow in the 15 Mbps package I contracted with. After some days of searching why, I discovered Cox wasn't transmitting in the 802.11 N setting. I disconnected the N setting in Devise Manager Advance Network settings and the speed increases to at least 13.80 Mpbs Download. (I contracted for 15 Mbps.)

So if your internet speed is slow with Cox, check out your 802.11 N setting and try it disengaged.

Why doesn't Cox transmit in 802.11 N, or they just wanting me to rent their Modem?
Cox has pretty good customer service ( unlike Comcast from what I've heard.) You probably could have called them and had this resolved in 20 minutes instead of doing all that research yourself. I had a couple of my own modems. I read the make and model numbers to the Cox rep and they told me which one would work best with my service to get max speed.

They never tried to sell me anything.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:

Your router has a problem. You have confirmed that Cox has the advertised speed to your house. They don't control your router, you do. Sounds like you have a bad router or a configuration problem. They can push firmware to your modem if it isn't getting the advertised speed, but you already stated that you have gotten the stated speed, so this isn't your issue.

I can get 100Mb/sec down on N and AC bands, my own router, no issues.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:39 AM

162 posts, read 242,140 times
LV_Desert. I did call Cox and they told my Modem was broken.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:26 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,857,373 times
Quote:

Why do you think Cox has ANYTHING to do with your own wireless network? You wrote that it is your own equipment that you "brought". Cox doesn't have anything to do with your wireless network, unless they were supplying the equipment.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:30 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,028,087 times
Quote:

Is this an old Motorola Surfboard? Some of these have had wireless issues, particularly the sbg6580.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Is this an old Motorola Surfboard? Some of these have had wireless issues, particularly the sbg6580.
Probably a combo modem/router. Those things are guaranteed to have the router half crap out. Unfortunately they are listed by Cox as premium equipment for their service so people continue to buy them.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:40 PM

531 posts, read 758,114 times
Connect your computer directly to the cable/dsl modem.
Compare the speed whatever you were watching..
If the wired and wireless performance are the same, then it is the problem beyond your cable modem.
If the wired speed is faster, then you have wifi problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: