Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 04:13 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,768,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Yes. The Pueblo Trails Park. Enter off of Lake Mead just before Buffalo. The entrance is a little hard to see. I just don't know when it happens, but you can probably Google it. It's not all that creepy when you keep in mind they won't hurt you, and the only time they come out like that is to look for a mate once a year. The females never come out. Birds love that time of year though. You can see them crossing the sidewalk on the walking trail if you get there at the right time. Take a jar with a lid on it (holes in the lid so they can breathe, and find out what to feed them), and catch one for a pet.
Ummm... no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 04:21 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,765,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
This was delivered Saturday. I have a 1 gallon sprayer coming today. First not windy day I am treating my walls, the neighbors wall and all around my house.

Scorpions are not welcome in my house.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._detailpages00
Get yourself a UV Flashlight. Fry's or the internet and go hunting. They glow brightly if there. Most places in Sun City have none but there are a few places. If you light one up stomp or hit with something. They go easily.

I know of at least one place up hill where the lady had a cat that liked to kill them. Never have figured out whether cats are immune or a combination of fast and protected by fur. But they do not appear to get stung.

Old 09-02-2015, 04:40 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,097,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
My inner child kind of wants to witness the creepiness that is the Tarantula Migration, although the hair on my arms stands up when I even think of it. Are there any areas locally that you would recommend to view this phenomenon?

I am deathly afraid of spiders. When they get into the house, the wife has to kill them because I run away.
However, when there is a camera between the spider and myself, I am fine.
I plan to attend the tarantula migration and get some photos, and possibly die of a heart attack.

Old 09-02-2015, 05:16 PM

9,479 posts, read 12,259,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Get yourself a UV Flashlight. Fry's or the internet and go hunting. They glow brightly if there. Most places in Sun City have none but there are a few places. If you light one up stomp or hit with something. They go easily.

I know of at least one place up hill where the lady had a cat that liked to kill them. Never have figured out whether cats are immune or a combination of fast and protected by fur. But they do not appear to get stung.

Cat's are not immune. But, they have fur and rather thick (and multi-layered) skin so the average scorpions stinger can't penetrate. if a cat were to be stung someplace more vulnerable like the nose, they would not be immune.

Old 09-02-2015, 05:21 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,597,904 times
Quote:

I have one and plan on using it. Thanks for the tip.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o03_s00

Old 09-03-2015, 02:20 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,294,091 times
Quote:
Are you sure you're not talking about Mormon Crickets. Never heard of there being that many scorpions on the road, and U.S. 95 doesn't go through Gabbs. But those crickets can be three layers deep, and cause you to spin out. And, oooooh, do they stink up your car.
Sorry. I meant tarantulas, not scorpions. I would definitely go back to West Virginia if it was scorpions.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:

The last two huge scorpions we found were in the house, dead, in the middle of the floor. So we suspect the dogs either killed them there, or maybe outside, and brought them in. I've gotta get body cams for those fur people.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Yes. The Pueblo Trails Park. Enter off of Lake Mead just before Buffalo. The entrance is a little hard to see. I just don't know when it happens, but you can probably Google it. It's not all that creepy when you keep in mind they won't hurt you, and the only time they come out like that is to look for a mate once a year. The females never come out. Birds love that time of year though. You can see them crossing the sidewalk on the walking trail if you get there at the right time. Take a jar with a lid on it (holes in the lid so they can breathe, and find out what to feed them), and catch one for a pet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Ummm... no.
Ah come on. You'd soon let it crawl all over you, and you'd name it Harry. YOU would...not me.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:19 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,559,572 times
The only place I've seen a scorpion here was at about 9000 feet elevation on Mt. Charleston. Seen more cockroaches in this city than I care to ever think about. I'd almost rather be infested with spiders than roaches.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:22 PM

10,865 posts, read 16,962,776 times
Almost? I DEFINITELY prefer spiders.

Spiders are reclusive. They don't bother me. I show them the door (using a pint glass and a sheet of paper) when they're inside the house. But if they're hanging out in the garage or outside, they can stay. They eat roaches and crickets. I hate roaches and crickets.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend. At least that's how spiders and I get along. You should see the look on exterminators faces when they knock on my door trying to drum up business. "We got a big black widow infestation next door. Want me to spray your property too?"

"HELL NO! Don't you dare kill my girls! They kill dozens of roaches every day. Eight years and I've never been bit. And there are 5 of them in the barbecue area alone!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas