U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2006, 06:58 PM

9 posts, read 30,008 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who purchased a condo is Desert Shores, right next to Summerlin. She has had to move out because of the uncontrollable gang activity. She did not feel safe anymore. (The police do not seem to do anything or are able to) Apparently what use to be a beautiful property is now slummsville usa. They have had to close down the Exercise/recreation facility and the pools due to the vandalism. The on site security have had their life threatened and quit. There are pit bull fights, tenants are moving out left and right. The poor people that have invested cannot rent out their properties due to the gang activity. And those that have put their condos for sale have not been able to sell or rent. Has anyone else heard of the goings on at Desert Shores? I wonder what the news is or is not reporting. In my opinion, anytime that you keep crime under wraps, it is a major opportunity to expand into other areas, and that would be a shame for all of the happy residents of Las Vegas. Very sad situation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2006, 07:42 PM

1,607 posts, read 9,392,586 times
The gang activity has become pretty bad in Las Vegas as a whole. But I would find it hard to believe that an area right next to Summerlin is that bad. I've been there, seen it and would not believe that. I think it's a an exaggeration of what's really going on.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:10 PM

9 posts, read 30,008 times
Yes, Redwing, it is pretty bad, at least it has been for her and her neighbors, mind you , the gang activity has become progressively worse in the last few couple of months. Things were not like this when she purchased her condo there a year ago. I do hope you are right, though. If only someone could pressure on the police to do something. However, if the media isn't even reporting it, unless it is happening in your own back yard, how would the neighboring residents find out about it? Just a thought.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:23 PM

15,756 posts, read 35,521,940 times
There are only four condo projects in Desert Shores. Only one shows excessive sales numbers.

That one is a condo conversion that went down in second half of 2005 - 2006. Condo conversion in Las Vegas are bought only by the very sophisticated or the very, very naive.

That particular development has 424 units of which 29 are onwer occupied. You know what you call a condo that is less than 10% owner occupied? Well starts with S, then L and ends with M. You fill in the rest.

This is the classic lower middle development loaded with the young and irresponsible. Well managed they can work pretty well...managed by a condo board dominated by absentee owners? Well you guess.

No gangs. No crime wave. Just the young and borderline poor without any controls.

At the moment 52 of the units are for sale. And it will be tough. Nobody in their right mind would buy one except as a positive cash flow investment. Probably requires sales prices in the range around 150K maybe 175K.

Been one sale since mid year at around $175K.

The naive and their money are soon parted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: