Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 05:56 PM

186 posts, read 238,788 times

Advertisements

I have a neighbor with one too many vehicles, and they take up a lot of space. They have one big uhual style type vehicle, 2 cars, a van, and 2 trucks. Now I understand that anyone has the right to park in a public place, but they have a truck that doesn't work parked in front of our house literally in the middle. Its to the point we can't park in front or behind it. I thought they would eventually remove it, but nope its been there for about 2 months now. It was worst when they would park the uhual crap in front of our house which would block the sight of oncoming vehicles when we were driving out of our drive way.

I checked to see if it was fine for vehicles that don't work to be parked on the road:

"INOPERATIVE MOTOR VEHICLES -- An inoperative vehicle is one which is not equipped with all parts required to legally operate on public streets or one that cannot be driven under its own power. These vehicles cannot be stored outside at a residence and must be removed from the property."

"PARKING -- Vehicles parked at a residence must be operable. Trailers, RVs, campers and boats belonging to the property owner may be parked on his or her property but cannot obstruct public right-of-ways, sidewalks, streets or alleys or any sight zone. Vehicles may be parked on a public street for up to 72 hours. They must be operable and have current plates and registration."

Code Requirements

I've reported this but nothing has been done. Not sure what else to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 06:00 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,784,829 times
Did you report to your HOA or the police?

Old 09-07-2015, 06:14 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gia1990 View Post

I have a neighbor with one too many vehicles, and they take up a lot of space. They have one big uhual style type vehicle, 2 cars, a van, and 2 trucks. Now I understand that anyone has the right to park in a public place, but they have a truck that doesn't work parked in front of our house literally in the middle. Its to the point we can't park in front or behind it. I thought they would eventually remove it, but nope its been there for about 2 months now. It was worst when they would park the uhual crap in front of our house which would block the sight of oncoming vehicles when we were driving out of our drive way.

I checked to see if it was fine for vehicles that don't work to be parked on the road:

"INOPERATIVE MOTOR VEHICLES -- An inoperative vehicle is one which is not equipped with all parts required to legally operate on public streets or one that cannot be driven under its own power. These vehicles cannot be stored outside at a residence and must be removed from the property."

"PARKING -- Vehicles parked at a residence must be operable. Trailers, RVs, campers and boats belonging to the property owner may be parked on his or her property but cannot obstruct public right-of-ways, sidewalks, streets or alleys or any sight zone. Vehicles may be parked on a public street for up to 72 hours. They must be operable and have current plates and registration."

Code Requirements

I've reported this but nothing has been done. Not sure what else to do.
From the documents cited you are in Clark County and not in any city. If this is not true you have both the wrong code and the wrong approach.

In Clark County you make a formal complaint to the Public Response Office.

Clark County Public Response Office

Give it a week or so and then bug them. They do know how to handle these complaints. They are not over staffed so it can take a while. Keep copies of your emails.

If that is not working your next step is to the County Commissioner for your area. My experience has been good with them. You send an email to the commissioner and point out that you have tried the PRO. Give a reasonable set of facts and dates.

You will likely get a response from the Commissioner which will actually be from a liason person who covers your area. This is the key to Clark County. Grab that email address and hold it tight. Then try to recruit this person to fix your problem. Officially they can do nothing. Practically they are more powerful than their boss...and they leave no tracks.

Work that hard and if it fails go see them. Most of the Commissioners are approachable and will see you. Complain.

Many of the towns have town board meetings. The town board generally will not do anything for you...they will in fact mostly duck. But the Commissioner lisason officer virtually always attends and listens. Get she or he after the meeting.

Properly worked Clark County is quite well governed. You just got to push the right buttons.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:18 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times
Are the vehicles plates current? Are you in a hoa?

Old 09-07-2015, 07:22 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,345,295 times
If you belong to an HOA, notify them. I am a member of my HOA board, and in these instances we first send a notice to the homeowner. If the vehicle is not moved within the specified time, we can have it towed. Inoperable vehicles cannot be parked in the street according to our rules and regulations.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:34 PM

469 posts, read 494,419 times
Be a professional and talk to them first because your giving them the courtesy to be nice about it by addressing it before going to the HOA.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:42 PM

625 posts, read 797,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soclose View Post
Be a professional and talk to them first because your giving them the courtesy to be nice about it by addressing it before going to the HOA.
Giving them 2 months is pretty courteous. I cant imagine they would be happy about a neighbor telling them what to do with their vehicles if they think its cool to leave it there for months.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:03 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,787,191 times
I had this situation last year. HOA said they could do nothing because the street belongs to the city (NLV). I called the city and left a message along with the street name and neighboring address on Friday. The car was gone when I got home from work Monday evening. This car had been out about the same amount of time and had been growing cobwebs in the tire wells. I think you're in the right and don't let lazy arse, non-compliant neighbors bring down your property values or your HOA delegated standard of living.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:04 AM

2,928 posts, read 3,551,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soclose View Post
Why? So they know who the busy body neighbor is and can possibly retaliate?

Old 09-08-2015, 12:16 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,396,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
Why? So they know who the busy body neighbor is and can possibly retaliate?
What, so polite direct communication is passe' nowadays? I think that's the first thing I would do, too. Ask them to move things around a little; people that do this type of thing are usually oblivious to the fact that it may be bothering someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: