Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 08:42 PM

8,418 posts, read 4,576,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
I posted the article earlier in the thread.
It's a lot more complicated then what that article explains. I've been following the 22lr scarcity since it began and it's really a perfect storm that is quite interesting.

It began slowly with AR15 manufacturers flooding the market with 22lr conversion uppers so that people could practice with the very cheap 22lr. That greatly increased demand that caught the ammo manufacturers by surprise.

Then Sandy Hook and other high profile gun violence cases made people think guns would be banned so people began hoarding whatever they could get. This explained high capacity magazines and .223/5.56 and 7.62x39 AK ammo, but not 22lr.

At around this time the prepper/survivalist movement caught on. Everyone thought a nice take-down .22 would be handy for hunting rabbits and other small game when TSHTF. They convinced each other that once the complete societal breakdown occurred, 22lr would become currency to be bartered for other things.

Around THAT time speculators with a lot of time on their hands figured they would buy a sh*t ton of 22lr (and other ammo, but 22lr was cheaper to get into) and sell it at huge profits. They started driving around to every Walmart and getting everything they could. There are internet posts on forums of people with literally 100's of thousands of rounds trying to sell it for $1.00 per round. Keep in mind, a year earlier it was going for 3 cents a round.

Around that time stores began getting into the action. With a few exceptions (Walmart and Cabelas and Bass Pro come to mind) every store out there was jacking prices up which fueled the panic. The only place you could buy any was at nearly $1 a round, more expensive then 9mm/.40 and .45. The place's that had it a reasonable cost were always out of stock, even though they limited everyone to 2 or 3 boxes.

It was, sorta is still, amazing. The easiest way to find the 22lr section in nearly any store is/was to look for the empty shelves.

It's slowly getting better. The best thing you can do is go on gunbot.net or some similar site and watch for good deals at 6 cents or less. DO NOT succumb to higher prices. With all due respect to Mac, I won't subsidize the people who filled up a closet in hopes of making a killing. By hoarding everything they made it very difficult for fathers/mothers to take their sons/daughters out to learn the great sport of shooting. Very sad.

Peace.

Last edited by clutchcargo777; 09-14-2015 at 09:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 09:22 AM

2,076 posts, read 4,073,711 times
Backpage is pretty much craigslist that allows gun/ammo sales/listings.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:36 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,638,982 times
When I bought my first gun, the dealer neglected to tell me about the shortage, and like you said
I didn't have enough ammo to learn how to shoot a gun properly unless I wanted to pay .25 per bullet or more
and started to 'stock up' on ammo when I found a good place. Unfortunately I did a bit too well, and stocked
up more then I will ever need, and as I have become more familiar with firearms, I used the .22 less and less
and now am sitting on a cache of ammo.

AKA the reason why I want to sell off the bulk.

Jonathan

Old 09-16-2015, 12:37 PM

15,844 posts, read 14,479,382 times
Just get yourself a 10/22 and plink it off

Old 09-16-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
When I bought my first gun, the dealer neglected to tell me about the shortage, and like you said
I didn't have enough ammo to learn how to shoot a gun properly unless I wanted to pay .25 per bullet or more
and started to 'stock up' on ammo when I found a good place. Unfortunately I did a bit too well, and stocked
up more then I will ever need, and as I have become more familiar with firearms, I used the .22 less and less
and now am sitting on a cache of ammo.

AKA the reason why I want to sell off the bulk.

Jonathan
Sorry, I didn't mean to single you out. I wanted to tell a bigger story.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:30 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,638,982 times
No worries.

Jonathan

Old 09-17-2015, 12:55 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,030,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
It's a lot more complicated then what that article explains. I've been following the 22lr scarcity since it began and it's really a perfect storm that is quite interesting.

It began slowly with AR15 manufacturers flooding the market with 22lr conversion uppers so that people could practice with the very cheap 22lr. That greatly increased demand that caught the ammo manufacturers by surprise.

Then Sandy Hook and other high profile gun violence cases made people think guns would be banned so people began hoarding whatever they could get. This explained high capacity magazines and .223/5.56 and 7.62x39 AK ammo, but not 22lr.

At around this time the prepper/survivalist movement caught on. Everyone thought a nice take-down .22 would be handy for hunting rabbits and other small game when TSHTF. They convinced each other that once the complete societal breakdown occurred, 22lr would become currency to be bartered for other things.

Around THAT time speculators with a lot of time on their hands figured they would buy a sh*t ton of 22lr (and other ammo, but 22lr was cheaper to get into) and sell it at huge profits. They started driving around to every Walmart and getting everything they could. There are internet posts on forums of people with literally 100's of thousands of rounds trying to sell it for $1.00 per round. Keep in mind, a year earlier it was going for 3 cents a round.

Around that time stores began getting into the action. With a few exceptions (Walmart and Cabelas and Bass Pro come to mind) every store out there was jacking prices up which fueled the panic. The only place you could buy any was at nearly $1 a round, more expensive then 9mm/.40 and .45. The place's that had it a reasonable cost were always out of stock, even though they limited everyone to 2 or 3 boxes.

It was, sorta is still, amazing. The easiest way to find the 22lr section in nearly any store is/was to look for the empty shelves.

It's slowly getting better. The best thing you can do is go on gunbot.net or some similar site and watch for good deals at 6 cents or less. DO NOT succumb to higher prices. With all due respect to Mac, I won't subsidize the people who filled up a closet in hopes of making a killing. By hoarding everything they made it very difficult for fathers/mothers to take their sons/daughters out to learn the great sport of shooting. Very sad.

Peace.
You did not mention recent massive purchases by the USPS, Department of Agriculture, NOAA, IRS, Energy Department, Department of Education, US Agency for International Development and other federal agencies. Reference. Not to mention the federal agencies that have a legitimate need for weapons.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
You did not mention recent massive purchases by the USPS, Department of Agriculture, NOAA, IRS, Energy Department, Department of Education, US Agency for International Development and other federal agencies. Reference. Not to mention the federal agencies that have a legitimate need for weapons.
Of .22lr?

Besides, the government buyout myth has been debunked many times. Their purchases are actually lower last and this year then in the past. Even during the worst of the ammo shortage times I had no problem finding .223/5.56 7.62x39 9mm .40 and .45 at reasonable prices. All the calibers the government was supposed to be buying up. If they were in anyway successful, it was only in the .22lr caliber.

I say this and I'm a gun nut!

Last edited by clutchcargo777; 09-17-2015 at 08:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas