Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 02:04 AM

23,206 posts, read 29,018,601 times

Advertisements

The conservative tourists I know prefer traveling to cities that are also conservative, like San Diego, and this conservative city caters to them all too well.

God forbid, if, if, if either Trump or Sanders makes it to the White House, it would hit this city like an earthquake, leaving NV seceding from the union!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 02:06 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,542,356 times
Can't remember the last time Arizona voted in a Democratic governor (before Janet Nopalitano), or U.S. Senator (No, McCain doesn't count!) ???

Nevada routinely elects Democrats to the U.S. Senate and has, for quite some time.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:12 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,463,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Can't remember the last time Arizona voted in a Democratic governor (before Janet Nopalitano), or U.S. Senator (No, McCain doesn't count!) ???

Nevada routinely elects Democrats to the U.S. Senate and has, for quite some time.
They have my sympathies.

Actually, most people I know in the Phoenix metro, including myself, and people I know in Las Vegas don't trust either party and don't fit into neat little categories of Dem/Rep. That's a game for control/power. Many of us figured out the game a long time ago and don't play the team game as we fit in different parts of the scale depending on the issue.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:39 AM

15,822 posts, read 14,460,687 times
Frosty,

The devil in that chart may be in the details. If they just surveyed people within the city limits, and not the entire metro areas, for the data that makes up that chart, the results are going to be skewed. This would be especially true in metro Vegas. In Vegas, the boundary and politics of the city are very much subsumed into the metro area, more so than most metropolitan areas. And only about a quarter of the population lives within the city itself. I suspect the total population of the Las Vegas valley is more conservative than the city itself.

Old 09-22-2015, 05:35 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,846,946 times
I always thought Las Vegas was Libertarian.

-Cheers.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:34 PM

273 posts, read 240,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post

-Cheers.
Exactly. So if you put a libertarian, who is liberal on social issues, and more conservative on spending, in a survey they are probably going to come out a tad to the left.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:10 PM

23,206 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Frosty,

The devil in that chart may be in the details. If they just surveyed people within the city limits, and not the entire metro areas, for the data that makes up that chart, the results are going to be skewed. This would be especially true in metro Vegas. In Vegas, the boundary and politics of the city are very much subsumed into the metro area, more so than most metropolitan areas. And only about a quarter of the population lives within the city itself. I suspect the total population of the Las Vegas valley is more conservative than the city itself.
If I recall, Henderson's population is now over 250,000, which would qualify for the list, and if you cut ultra-conservative Henderson out of the picture........................................... .....

Old 09-22-2015, 09:23 PM

15,822 posts, read 14,460,687 times
The same thing could be said about NLV. NLV has areas of polar opposite demographics, and like political views. I don't know where it balances out.

But all that is irrrlevant. The chart is showing the City of Las Vegas. If the OP wants to get an idea about the political balance of the metro area, that chart likely doesn't show it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
If I recall, Henderson's population is now over 250,000, which would qualify for the list, and if you cut ultra-conservative Henderson out of the picture........................................... .....

Old 09-23-2015, 06:33 AM

472 posts, read 377,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post

-Cheers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindlessness View Post
Exactly. So if you put a libertarian, who is liberal on social issues, and more conservative on spending, in a survey they are probably going to come out a tad to the left.

My assumption when I decided I wanted out of the Northeast and move out West. My idea of happiness or the pursuit of it is to live and let live as long as it doesn't bother me, and Government shouldn't legislate how I must live my life, what I can eat, how I have to raise my kids in my own home, etc and shouldn't be big or spend my money on special interests. If a program doesn't benefit all people equally Fed govt shouldn't be involved, let special interests be handled by the private sector or by the state which can differ state by state and allow one to choose a state that fits them.

And damn it, get rid of the federal income tax and create a fed sales tax. You'd see immigration talk go away because everyone pays based on what they can spend....everyone, including you, me, tourists, illegals, welfare/unemployment/social sec recipients, etc.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:42 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,985,364 times
Las Vegas doesn't have many liberals. With limited exceptions, the valley is populated by:

1) Centrists -- who tend to vote for Democrats. (They would vote for moderate Republicans if any of those still existed.)

2) Right-wing fanatics -- who vote for candidates like Sharron Angle.

All anyone needs to do is read the R-J editorial pages for a few days. They give unlimited ink to Ann Coulter and Bill O'Reilly. You never read anything even resembling a liberal opinion in the R-J. This town is so conservative that Steve Sebelius is derided as a "communist."

PS -- If the middle class wants to slit its own throat by installing a national sales tax, that's great with me. I spend almost nothing. I'm down to spending less than 10% of my income. The problem with sales taxes is that they're so easy to duck for the wealthy. Wealthy people don't spend every nickle that passes through their hands. That's why they're wealthy. So that shifts the burden on the poor and the middle class -- exactly how the 1% wants it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas