Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 09:54 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times

Advertisements

Such negativity!

Kidding aside, I agree. The best Las Vegas has to offer would be considered fairly mediocre in East Los Angeles. This is what happens when you live in a city that demands "cheap" but not "great."

It's the same with other ethnic foods such as ramen and pho. You can get a decent bowl if you look hard enough. But nothing that holds a candle to the great pho and ramen joints elsewhere.

This is why I would never open a business in Las Vegas. I'm really not interested in racing to the bottom with the rest. And even the Strip fine-dining restaurants aren't as good as the flagship restaurants they emulate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 10:12 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,948,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_A_Braun View Post
I'll drive 4 hours to El Tepeyac in L.A. before I would ingest any more attempts at Mexican food in Las Vegas or surrounding areas.

For a city that supposedly has so many illegals, you would think that one of them somewhere would open a decent dining establishment. Hasn't happened yet and I am sick and tired of seeing places that looks like it might be pretty good just to to get a plate full of **** that has no flavor.

This town has gotten its last Mexican food dining dollar from me.
You've got to be kidding me.

Not only does this thread have many great suggestions (like Tacos El Gordo), I created a whole separate thread myself a couple months ago about El Dorado Cantina. If you've tried these places and genuinely think they are bad Mexican food, then you truly don't know what "good" is. I dare anybody to say that their carne asada "has no flavor."

Old 10-08-2015, 11:57 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,420,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
You've got to be kidding me.

Not only does this thread have many great suggestions (like Tacos El Gordo), I created a whole separate thread myself a couple months ago about El Dorado Cantina. If you've tried these places and genuinely think they are bad Mexican food, then you truly don't know what "good" is. I dare anybody to say that their carne asada "has no flavor."
For instance, when I go to a Mexican joint craving gorditas (just as an example) I am not at the place for a "fine dining experience". I can tell you just by looking at these 2 pictures which one will have real Mexican flavor vs which one will be a dud in my mouth.
Attached Thumbnails
World Championship Taco and Salsa Festival 2015-.jpg   World Championship Taco and Salsa Festival 2015-not.jpg  

Old 10-08-2015, 12:07 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
And then R-J readers would pick this for the best Gordita in Las Vegas, if such a category existed:

If people care to be honest with themselves about this town, they'll come to the conclusion that they could pick up almost any "best-of" restaurant/joint/food truck in Las Vegas, move it next door to a "best-of" in another city -- AND IT WOULD CLOSE WITHIN A MONTH FOR LACK OF BUSINESS.

It's certainly that way with ramen. There isn't a ramen place in this city that can hold-a-candle/shine-the-shoes-of/mention-in-the-same-sentence as Daikokuya. (And not everyone agrees that Daikokuya is the best ramen joint in Little Tokyo. I think it is. But I haven't been to every ramen joint in L.A.)

And while I quite like Tacos el Gordo and Tacos Azteca, it simply isn't honest to say they're as good as the best Southern California (and Mexico, naturally) have to offer.

Old 10-08-2015, 02:44 PM

698 posts, read 985,892 times
Having lived up and down California, still maintaining an office in Orange County and marrying into a Hispanic family I've eating some great meals in both hole in the wall and not so hole in the wall Mexican Restaurants. You want to talk about illegals and a bounty of Mexican restaurants, California's Central Valley has many due to the field workers.

What I've found here in Vegas is there are some very good Mexican restaurants, however, in my experience they're typically only good at a couple of items. Where in California the majority of the items in the good restaurants are steller. Don’t know what to attribute that too.

My mother in-law ran a catering business in Central California and she was one hell of a cook. Thankfully my wife and her sisters (even brother) have picked-up a few dishes from her as she no longer cooks. She taught me her menudo recipe as well and it rivals anything you’ll eat out. So I guess I could say the best Mexican food I’ve had in Vegas has been in my own home.

Since non-of you are invited over for supper (OK, maybe Scoop) here are a few of the places we frequent. Up until recently we’d take my MIL with us and she was really a great judge of the food. Loved eating at Mexican restaurants with her as she really knew her food. In addition to the joints Scoop has mentioned. Rico’s Tacos – For what else other than tacos, smaller portions though which I don’t like. Bonito Michoacan, very popular but totally underwhelmed me. Similar to Casa Don Juan but not as good in my opinion (everyone in my party agreed with this). Tacos El Compita – hole in the wall, great menudo and lengua, don’t’ like their beans or rice, their mole deserves an honorable mention. Casa Don Juan (I know I'll get slammed on this one but I'm only recommending a couple of things) – Great beans LOVE THEIR BEANS, tortillas and love their Vuelve a La Vida, especially when they have oysters, rest of the menu doesn’t float my boat. Kids seem to like their Christmas enchiladas and menudo. Serrano’s – I’m a fan of their ceviche tostadas and beans, son and wife like their menudo, decent chile verde too. Dimas Tacos – Tacos. Still need to try other items.

Old 10-08-2015, 03:23 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,420,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qingguy View Post
My mother in-law ran a catering business in Central California and she was one hell of a cook. Thankfully my wife and her sisters (even brother) have picked-up a few dishes from her as she no longer cooks. She taught me her menudo recipe as well and it rivals anything you’ll eat out. So I guess I could say the best Mexican food I’ve had in Vegas has been in my own home.
Nailed it with that. Best Mexican food in Vegas is served in my home when my mother in law is visiting. Especially when she brings me tortas.

God how I wish my wife had picked up her mom's cooking gene.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:43 AM

698 posts, read 985,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_A_Braun View Post
Nailed it with that. Best Mexican food in Vegas is served in my home when my mother in law is visiting. Especially when she brings me tortas.

God how I wish my wife had picked up her mom's cooking gene.
I LOVED when my MIL would come stay with us, probably more than my wife because I knew it meant waking-up to fresh flower tortillas (that smell in the morning), homemade enchiladas, chili verde, menudo etc. Always gained weight during her visits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas