Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 01:17 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,804,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Technology could doom Vegas. Conventions can go the way of webinars. Gambling can go online in a big way. Transportation time and carrier advancements can make world traveling easier. Entertainers can go the way of a holidec (star trek). Just be ready to move. Las Vegas is way to dependent on entertainment and conventions. This new generation has no base. They go with the flow.
I disagree. People come to Vegas for the full entertainment, leisure, and hospitality experience. Webinars will not replace conventions (a webinar and convention/trade show are two different things and purposes), and gambling's role in Vegas has evolved already--it's part of the package, but it's the only thing anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 02:46 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,781,352 times
I also disagree about the conventions going away. I'm in that industry, and they are getting bigger and bigger, and more expensive to put on. My clients are asking for the latest technology, and that comes with a price tag. Although attendance dropped a bit a few years ago, it is definitely on the rebound.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:44 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,804,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
I also disagree about the conventions going away. I'm in that industry, and they are getting bigger and bigger, and more expensive to put on. My clients are asking for the latest technology, and that comes with a price tag. Although attendance dropped a bit a few years ago, it is definitely on the rebound.
Aren't conventions really all about networking for whatever the show/purpose is? You can't do that through webinars.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
Aren't conventions really all about networking for whatever the show/purpose is? You can't do that through webinars.
Exactly. People want the interpersonal contact, and relationship building. I go to a ton of conferences and tradeshows. All of the business happens on coffee breaks on conferences, and in the aisles at tradeshows.

Old 10-18-2015, 10:55 AM

15,823 posts, read 14,463,105 times
If anything is changing as far as conventions go, the changes would be well underway. The internet is now mature technology. If it was going to crush the convention business, it already would have.

So from those who know, what is the current trajectory?

Old 10-18-2015, 11:01 AM

799 posts, read 707,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Exactly. People want the interpersonal contact, and relationship building. I go to a ton of conferences and tradeshows. All of the business happens on coffee breaks on conferences, and in the aisles at tradeshows.
I agree 100%...During a webinar/telcon, I'm rarely (if ever) giving it 100% of my attention. (email, people in and out of the office, etc) It's just far easier to try and multi-task when the speaker and other attendees can't see what you're doing. When physically attending, that option is not really too practical. And of course, it's the interaction during breaks, and after work that provide the real value of the expense to attend the conference/show. There are certainly some items and professions where face-to-face time is not a huge benefit, but I doubt this will ever completely disappear.

One other thing that some try to overlook, and some try to paint as "excess", is the fact that sometimes it is a "reward" to get a high performer out of the office. It's really a win-win for most professional companies. Since the employee feels valued, and is likely conducting business during their off time.

Old 10-18-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
If anything is changing as far as conventions go, the changes would be well underway. The internet is now mature technology. If it was going to crush the convention business, it already would have.

So from those who know, what is the current trajectory?
We are the in-house a/v company for a few venues around town, plus work with organizations at other venues when they come to town for their conferences. Additionally, we produce conferences internationally, so I can speak to the market in general, not just the local market.

The number of conferences held by producers and organizations has grown over the past 2-3 years. For instance, one of our largest customers is in the hair care industry. When we got the account about 5 years ago, they were holding 25 conferences/trade shows annually. This year they are at 70. Plus, the size is growing. We're producing an event for a sports marketing company, who, in years past, held their events at Mandalay. Now they are holding their event at Mandalay, MGM, and Thomas & Mack due to the sheer number of attendees. What started off as a $50,000 a/v budget is close to a quarter million now.

I see that trend continuing. Where an organization used to hold an annual conference, now they hold an annual conference, plus 3-4 regional conferences.

I have noticed that the only decline in conference business has been in the heavily unionized cities (Boston, NY, Chicago, San Francisco). Although Las Vegas is also a heavy union city, I'm able to steer my clients to venues that don't have the union "supervisor" BS charges, shadow labor, etc. There's a lot of pushback from clients when they are forced to pay $100+/hour for a union guy to stand there and watch our team work.

Fortunately, there are great venues here that don't require union labor, as is true in other cities like Orlando, Atlanta, Dallas, Phoenix, etc.

So, while the industry took a dip 4-5 years ago, it's bouncing back nicely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: