Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 09:01 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Actually, when I think about it, there is probably more misery in Las Vegas than any other place on the planet. Strip malls, debt, heat, a missing downtown. Some love it but I still can't figure out why.
not a lot of experience at thinking I see.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 09:21 AM

818 posts, read 3,697,293 times
Downtown isn't missing, it's just developing. I think it's kind of exciting to live in a city during its infancy. Going downtown and seeing all the development and imagining what it will look like in 10 years is fun for me. Even in the burbs you get the chance to do this on a smaller, more generic scale. Buy a house in a new tract and wait and watch while the neighborhood develops around you.

I do agree that I meet a lot of miserable people here, but my guess is that they were miserable in their hometown and simply relocated. It's not the city that's the cause of their problems.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:16 PM

572 posts, read 1,683,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psi2007 View Post
If you live in the "boroughs" its a whole different NY. Take the subway from one end to the other and you'll see. People in cities like NY love it when they live like the girls in Sex and the City. NY has no middle class. If you're really middle class you still live like a poor person. The sad part is that NYers rarely leave for a better quality of life.

NY used to have a middle class. It's been blown into poverty over the past 10 years. Or what they like to call the "working poor". it's either you have the big $$ or you are living paycheck to paycheck. It was pretty real to me when I learned that I could actually qualify for low-income housing.

Psi, I don't recall where in NY you are moving from, but it seems to be a trend all over the state. Except a lot of NYers do leave to attempt a better quality of life (at least on Long Island they have). That's why there's a big "brain drain" scenario that has been going on for the past couple of years. All these companies that set up headquarters here can't find competant staff to fill their positions, because all the educated recent college grads have left to go elsewhere (either down south or out west). It's just not feasible to try and buy a house here. Average home price of 500K, with at least 20% down for a decent mortgage.. add to that property taxes through the roof.

it just doesn't make sense anymore.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:38 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,160,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Allentown and Reading PA have to be on that list. Also New Bedford Ma. You people who are dissing Vegas are crazy. Viva Las Vegas baby!
I like New Bedford, but I admit that I've not lived there, just stayed there.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:40 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyjones978 View Post
NY used to have a middle class. It's been blown into poverty over the past 10 years. Or what they like to call the "working poor". it's either you have the big $$ or you are living paycheck to paycheck. It was pretty real to me when I learned that I could actually qualify for low-income housing.

Psi, I don't recall where in NY you are moving from, but it seems to be a trend all over the state. Except a lot of NYers do leave to attempt a better quality of life (at least on Long Island they have). That's why there's a big "brain drain" scenario that has been going on for the past couple of years. All these companies that set up headquarters here can't find competant staff to fill their positions, because all the educated recent college grads have left to go elsewhere (either down south or out west). It's just not feasible to try and buy a house here. Average home price of 500K, with at least 20% down for a decent mortgage.. add to that property taxes through the roof.

it just doesn't make sense anymore.
I hated LI, too. But I love it Upstate...Still NY, but just very different from downstate NY.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:35 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
not a lot of experience at thinking I see.......

Actually, quite a bit of thinking which is why I stated that opinion. I mean, isn't the suicide rate rather high there? I may be wrong about that but for some reason, I have heard that. Also, I would imagine, there is a bit of debt in Las Vegas. Hey, glad ya love it. Someone has to. Just not my cup of tea.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:39 PM

More on the misery of Vegas:

Suicide Rate Higher in 3 Gambling Cities, Study Says - New York Times

Old 02-05-2008, 02:46 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Research it a little further. That study was pretty well discredited. When one allowed for the actual population involved it turned out they were better than most places.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:49 PM

Does it really matter if the person is a resident or a tourist? In any other city, would that matter?

Old 02-05-2008, 02:53 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,470,355 times
Why do we waste time with posters like this? The mis-informed?

Why are you even concerned about a topic such as this in Las Vegas? I've read in your posts that you are quite happy in Baltimore? What are you trying to prove to everbody? 99 & 9/10 percent of us residents....DON'T CARE why people commit suicide here...

But hey, some of the tourists who come here like to take the leap of faith after they've lost all their money, and yeah, some of the tourists are all in debt, they couldn't afford to come here and "play" to begin with.

Out of the 38 million of them coming here to visit every year, you've got to expect to meet a few of those types. We're kinda used to it, feel sorry for them and all, but we didn't tell them to do it. Anyhoo....

If your ultimate goal was to move here, I'm glad you found out LV is not your cup of tea before you made a bad decision for yourself...

Good luck to you...elsewhere...

Last edited by MomMom; 02-05-2008 at 04:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: