Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 09:12 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,254,464 times

Advertisements

They tried to steal our motorcycle last night. My husband went to go to work this morning and called me saying the motorcycle was missing and could I do some research on who we call as he had to get to work and was taking the car.

As he was driving out of the gates he saw his bike parked in front of the leasing office. The ignition was destroyed and he can't fit his key in it. I just came back in from helping him push it back into our parking spot.

I said we should call the police and report it anyways but he said he didn't have time and that he was already late for work and asked me what else could they do for him now that his bike is back but doesn't work.

I mentioned we have security cameras on the gates in and out. He said to maybe ask the office about it when they open.

So should I follow up and do anything else about it? I see there are three police numbers to call. I'm not sure where to begin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 09:16 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,252 posts, read 4,271,034 times
The best thing you can do is make sure you carry full coverage insurance on a bike that is not locked up in a garage. Someone will try to steal it, and if they manage to not steal it once they will come back for it. You can count on it. If you now have full coverage insurance you need to call the local PD that covers your area, to get a report filed in order to fix the damage through your insurance company. Other than that it's mostly a waste of time.

Odds are they will never catch the person responsible. It sucks, but is part of the ownership experience of a bike in a big city. I have always kept my bikes in a garage and never had a problem. I have known guys that lived in apartment complexes that eventually give up trying to own one.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:28 AM

One of our neighbors had his bike stolen when we first moved here, so it was always in the back of my mind that it was just a matter of time.

For some reason they didn't get very far on the bike. I'm surprised they left it parked in front of the leasing office.

We do have garages available for rent here. I'll be sure to mention that as an option to my husband. Bummer, we don't carry full coverage on the bike or car per my husband's preference, so the cost of fixing the damage will have to be out of pocket.

I found this: http://www.lvmpd.com/protectyourself...5/default.aspx

Should I call the Northwest command? If I'm not listed on the bike should I be making the report?

Old 10-29-2015, 10:34 AM

I saw there was an option to fill out an online report. I started answering the questions and when it got to motor vehicle theft it stopped me and told me I needed to call (702) 828-3111. I went and got the registration and then called the number. They asked me if this was for Las Vegas and then transferred me to the non-emergency number. I described the situation and they said that it would be filed as a stolen vehicle with recovery. They took my information and my husband's and the bike's information. Then said a police officer would be on his way. It didn't seem to matter if my name wasn't on the bike and my husband wasn't present. Now I'm waiting for the police to arrive.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:26 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,252 posts, read 4,271,034 times
I hope they are helpful. Definitely consider renting a garage. Ugh.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:28 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,784,134 times
Wouldn't they look for fingerprints?

Old 10-29-2015, 11:31 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,748,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Wouldn't they look for fingerprints?
Doubtful. It's the same when your house gets broken into. They won't dust for prints (according to 2 of my friends who have been robbed). They will take an inventory of items most likely to be pawned, though.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:57 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,075,130 times
I had a car broken into. They stole my stereo. The cops weren't going to fingerprint the car. I had to fight with them to get them to dust for prints. It didn't help, but at least they had to do their job.

Old 10-29-2015, 01:28 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,573,652 times
Although it might make your feel better, with all due respect, fingerprinting a car after a car prowl is a waste of time. Not trying to be rude but too many people watch CSI and think that is what is supposed to happen. Even if the Police did get a hit on a fingerprint your stereo is gone the thief already got rid of it for cheap.

Forget about the thief making restitution won't happen. Let's say they actually caught the guy and later prosecuted him (not likely) but if they did, you would have to go to court as the victim and stay there all day. When the suspect doesn't show for court that day a warrant is issued. Court is then postponed until he is arrested. Once he is arrested he is booked and then promptly released the next day on his own recognizance and a court date is issued.

Then when trial day comes his Attorney gets a continuance on the day you go to court the and you have to go to court a third day. You are not reimbursed for time off work.

What is way better than fingerprints is the model and serial number of the stereo. Then it can be found by Police when they bust a house full of stolen goods or pawn shop receipts.

Additionally if you find your stereo at a Pawn shop or Craigslist with the serial number you can likely get it back.

Old 10-29-2015, 01:41 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,784,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Doubtful. It's the same when your house gets broken into. They won't dust for prints (according to 2 of my friends who have been robbed). They will take an inventory of items most likely to be pawned, though.
Figures.

About 15 years ago, my brother's garage was broken into (SoCal) and he insisted police dust for prints. Then, about 4 years after that, he was contacted & told they picked up someone for some other crime & his prints matched the prints found at my brother's garage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas