Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 03:35 PM

848 posts, read 647,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Single stream is not 2 separate bins. It is a single bin for all trash and recyclables, and it gets sorted at the Republic plant. I'm in Henderson, and we still have the 2 separate bins, one black top for trash, one blue top for recyclables.
I live in Henderson as well, and Henderson is considered single stream by Republic Services with regard to recycling since we no longer need to sort recyclable items into the three color-coded bins. The following article from 2013 provides details: Republic Services focuses on single-stream recycling | Las Vegas Review-Journal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 04:12 PM

727 posts, read 1,056,347 times
Quote:
Single stream is not 2 separate bins. It is a single bin for all trash and recyclables, and it gets sorted at the Republic plant. I'm in Henderson, and we still have the 2 separate bins, one black top for trash, one blue top for recyclables.
Interesting but won't it ruin some of the recyclables?

Old 11-13-2015, 05:53 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,672,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_Irish View Post
I live in Henderson as well, and Henderson is considered single stream by Republic Services with regard to recycling since we no longer need to sort recyclable items into the three color-coded bins. The following article from 2013 provides details: Republic Services focuses on single-stream recycling | Las Vegas Review-Journal.
I did that until one of the people working on our house had me watch as they picked up the recycle. It all went into the same hopper that lifts it into the truck. I don't bother sorting anymore.

Where we came from (West Des Moines, Iowa) there were two bins. One for trash, one for recycle, all picked up by a truck. Waiting for that to happen here. {tap}, {tap}, {tap}.

Yard waste was picked up by hand and you paid an arm and a leg for the tags to get it picked up. We composted. Never put out a single yard waste pickup.

Old 11-13-2015, 07:21 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,807,293 times
Where I came from Plattsburgh NY in the Adirondacks we were only allowed to use clear garbage bags for everything no black or other color bags. All recyclables had to be in separate bags cans,bottles,plastic,newspaper and etc. All cans and glass had to have the labels off of them also. Since I lived in the land of the falling leaves lol all of the bags for that had to be clear I averaged over 30 bags of leaves per season. They were picked up once a month along with any other landscaping refuge like tree branches mowing clippings and etc. Before I moved the Garbage company I had went to single stream thank goodness and pick up was only one day a week just like before. When we had the old system all separate bags god forbid if you mixed a can in with the plastic or etc the bag as left and a sticker was placed on it what a pleasure it was to dig out the bag which broke from a frozen snow bank or have a wet soggy bag because it rained all night and day. Single stream is the way to go it allows recycling with out passing laws to force people to do it. One other thing NYS had a deposit law on beverage cans and bottles and plastic so that was another 3 bags or more to keep track of to get your money back .05 cents per unit and then drag them either to a redemption center or the grocery store which had machines to accept them. I sure spent lots of money on clear plastic bags over the years and time. Be grateful Nevada was not that crazy.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:05 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,151,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I've had it for years. It's definitely the way to go. Its easy to recycle this way, and the neighborhood looks much better on trash day. If there are odor concerns, you can put stick ups with charcoal on the inside of the lid.
Same here. I think North Las Vegas has been ahead of the recycling game for a while.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:26 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,985,364 times
I would be happy with single-recycling stream and separate trash. We only have a single grocery sack of trash every couple weeks (compost rules). But we have LOADS of recycling.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:44 PM

561 posts, read 680,560 times
Quote:
That's single stream. The "single" refers to the fact that the division of recyclable materials happens in one place, not that trash and recyclables get mixed in together.

Old 11-14-2015, 02:20 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,809,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newopty View Post
Interesting but won't it ruin some of the recyclables?
Yes - the Recycling Coalition of Utah (RCU) reports 17% of recyclables are contaminated and rendered non-recyclable when mixed together.

"Say someone throws out a bottle of oil. The oil itself can't be recycled, which means someone has to sort that bottle out — if it makes it to a sorting line, that is. Some recycling companies use compression trucks, Mertz said, which could cause the bottle to break open, ruining the entire load of recyclable materials.

Even nonhazardous waste can spoil the entire bin. Pizza is one of the biggest contamination culprits.
"We hear about pizza boxes all the time," Mertz said. "If it's clean, go ahead and throw it in. But if it's got a bunch of cheese and pepperoni and anchovies … don't." Food waste can be composted, but that doesn't mean it's recyclable, says Mertz, who recommends people rinse or scrape out all containers before tossing them.

It sounds obvious, but the recyclables that are contaminated every year could fill about half of the 20,000-seat Vivint Smart Home Arena."
- Brad Mertz, Executive Director RCU

Bill

Old 11-14-2015, 07:51 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,017,781 times
Heard about it but nothing yet. Bet those cans will be really stinky in the summer!

Old 11-14-2015, 08:06 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,105,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Heard about it but nothing yet. Bet those cans will be really stinky in the summer!
Not really. Use a stick-up on the interior of the lid, rinse your recyclables ( especially beer cans) and bag your trash. It's really no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas