Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 05:12 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,474,424 times

Advertisements

We just drove to San Diego this past weekend...for like the dozenth time...it never gets any better in terms of traffic.

And people complain about Las Vegas traffic? It's a piece of cake compared to the drivers and the roads we've encountered on these "trips"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 12:04 AM

638 posts, read 2,244,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
We just drove to San Diego this past weekend...for like the dozenth time...it never gets any better in terms of traffic.

And people complain about Las Vegas traffic? It's a piece of cake compared to the drivers and the roads we've encountered on these "trips"
I agree. At least in Vegas when there is a traffic jam, it is due to an accident or something else that happened. In San Diego and LA you get jams apparently for no other reason than there being too many cars out on the roadway.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:00 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR77 View Post
Im mostly new to this board so hello... Ive got something to say in terms of traffic... People out here do drive very fast but I think the speed limits in the city are to factor. For example, Tropicana is 45 mph in certain areas of town. When you combine that high speed limit with the width of the street, people tend to drive more like 65-70. Lets face it, people who move here from the East coast are used to very tight and narrow roads. When you put them on the wide open streets of Las Vegas, their natural instinct is to fly like a bird. I see the same thing in Phoenix and parts of LA.

Im not suggesting we do anything about it. I like the high speed limits and the wide streets. The one thing I wish Las Vegas drivers would learn is that tailgating is very rude. I've come across a ton of tailgaters out here. I like to pump up my window whipers and washing fluid when they get right behind me. They usually back of pretty quick. They hate getting their nice clean hummer dirty.
Ok it is time to chime in. You got me. You think the speed limits are high here? 60 on 95 in the new section? That has to be the lowest speed limit on a state highway in the USA. Most all the commerce streets are 35 with 45 being tops. Few exceed that though everyone claims everyone exceeds it. You call that high? I think I would hate to be behind you. No wonder why people are tailgating you and honking. Either move over or do the speed limit. Does that make sense?

I do like your idea of the spraying them with the washer fluid but you are not doing it to Hummers. They are some of the slowest drivers out there along with the Tundras and Dodges. The real crazys are those tin can Coopers. Now they go fast. It takes them 5 minutes to get up to 70 but once they are there they dont even slow for a red light.

Here is a thought. Why is it that everyone who is driving faster then ourselves is a maniac? Then why is it that everyone who is driving slower then ourselves is a no good slow poke &*%$%#^$$ch ?

Old 04-01-2008, 02:10 AM

Quote:
I agree. At least in Vegas when there is a traffic jam, it is due to an accident or something else that happened. In San Diego and LA you get jams apparently for no other reason than there being too many cars out on the roadway.
I would like to answer this too. It is said by many that the ferocious traffic here has since gotten worse then southern California. Just as many disagree. I on occasion go to Dana Point and drive the I-5 during rush hour. This is what happens. They have 6 lanes in each direction. The far left lane is stopped dead. The next to the left lane is moving at a snails pace. The 3rd to the left lane is creeping. The far right lane I am doing 80 MPH all alone while looking at all the fools in the left lanes standing still. They look at me with this blank look and not getting a clue. Why do Californians and New Yorkers insist on staying in the left lane? Those of you from NY are laughing.

Where did the "keep right and pass left" lose its meaning? I see this everywhere. I hop on 95 at Charleston and get off on Trop every morning and most times I never leave the right lane yet I pass everyone on the road. The rule seems to be keep middle and stay the hell out of the right lane.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:05 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yasudab View Post
I have read and heard stories of how bad las vegas drivers can be. I heard in one podcast that window tinting can be a reason, because they can just drive any way they want and noone can identify them. Does anyone know why they drive so aggressively or have such a bad rap?
First of all...tinting as an excuse to drive fast? That's so ridiculous I won't say any more...except would a cop not ask you to roll it down after he pulls you over?

I just got back from a week in Boston where I was lucky to have survived those drivers. I hope I never hear anyone accuse Las Vegas drivers of being bad again. The most aggressive drivers in the world come form the cities in the northeast. And when I see an aggressive driver here, blocking the road and cutting everyone off, I just know he/she is from New Yawk, Philly, Bahston, or Joisey. Hel*, even in my little old home town in WV we drove more aggressively than people from the west coast do. I think it has to do with the narrow streets back there and the only way to make turns or cross streets is to just cut everyone off. But that kind of driving isn't necessary, or sensible here. Our streets are mostly six lanes plus a left turn lane. They don't know what a left turn lane is even in LA. But blocking traffic across three lanes is only gonna get you t-boned.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:46 AM

638 posts, read 2,244,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Ok it is time to chime in. You got me. You think the speed limits are high here? 60 on 95 in the new section? That has to be the lowest speed limit on a state highway in the USA. Most all the commerce streets are 35 with 45 being tops. Few exceed that though everyone claims everyone exceeds it. You call that high? I think I would hate to be behind you. No wonder why people are tailgating you and honking. Either move over or do the speed limit. Does that make sense?

I do like your idea of the spraying them with the washer fluid but you are not doing it to Hummers. They are some of the slowest drivers out there along with the Tundras and Dodges. The real crazys are those tin can Coopers. Now they go fast. It takes them 5 minutes to get up to 70 but once they are there they dont even slow for a red light.

Here is a thought. Why is it that everyone who is driving faster then ourselves is a maniac? Then why is it that everyone who is driving slower then ourselves is a no good slow poke &*%$%#^$$ch ?
Freeways are a different story. I agree 60 is too slow for the 95. But yes, I must be one of the slower drivers and I am sorry that sometimes I need to be in the left lane when I am planning ahead to make a left turn. I guess, my big thing is that lately, I have been trying to conserve gas so I have been driving very "conservatively" and it DOES help increase fuel economy. I up shift slowly, drive the limit, and dont drive hard. When I started driving kindly, is when I really began noticing how impatient and sometimes threatening everyone else on the road is. I dont get why everyone has to take off at the green light like its a drag race. We all end up at the same red light on the next block. There is no race to win. Lastly, why does every Dodge Charger owner drive like a jerk?

Old 04-03-2008, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Freeways are a different story. I agree 60 is too slow for the 95. But yes, I must be one of the slower drivers and I am sorry that sometimes I need to be in the left lane when I am planning ahead to make a left turn. I guess, my big thing is that lately, I have been trying to conserve gas so I have been driving very "conservatively" and it DOES help increase fuel economy. I up shift slowly, drive the limit, and dont drive hard. When I started driving kindly, is when I really began noticing how impatient and sometimes threatening everyone else on the road is. I dont get why everyone has to take off at the green light like its a drag race. We all end up at the same red light on the next block. There is no race to win. Lastly, why does every Dodge Charger owner drive like a jerk?
Why does everyone take off at the green light like its a drag race? It has been a dozen years I been driving here and I maybe see that once a year. I welcome it rather then everyone starring at the green and standing on their brake. Im on the horn asking if there is any particular shade of green they are waiting for.

But you are right, everyone just stops at the next red anyway. Las Vegas is very famous for its mistimed lights. Wait a minute. When I say mistimed that sorta suggests that there was some attempt to time/synchronize them. There never was. New lights are pre-programed in advance, but when they are installed they are simply turned on without regard to the incoming and away going traffic.

If they would just synchronize all the lights in this place we would not experience half the traffic backups. They always publicly announce they have no money to synchronize the lights yet they found $14 million to put those useless senseless timer lights on the on-ramps. Anyone see the backups they cause? Most of them have been permanantly turned off due to failure to do as the crooked politicos claimed.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:32 AM

24 posts, read 216,768 times
I've driven through a few cities: Washington D.C., Dallas, Atlanta, NYC, Los Angeles, Orlando . . . . . . and the amount of crazy drivers out here blows them out of the water! In my experience, this city has some of the worst driving i've seen

I agree about southern California's traffic jams (the conversation above) i'm glad we don't have those here!

Old 04-03-2008, 09:38 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Why does everyone take off at the green light like its a drag race? It has been a dozen years I been driving here and I maybe see that once a year. I welcome it rather then everyone starring at the green and standing on their brake. Im on the horn asking if there is any particular shade of green they are waiting for.

But you are right, everyone just stops at the next red anyway. Las Vegas is very famous for its mistimed lights. Wait a minute. When I say mistimed that sorta suggests that there was some attempt to time/synchronize them. There never was. New lights are pre-programed in advance, but when they are installed they are simply turned on without regard to the incoming and away going traffic.

If they would just synchronize all the lights in this place we would not experience half the traffic backups. They always publicly announce they have no money to synchronize the lights yet they found $14 million to put those useless senseless timer lights on the on-ramps. Anyone see the backups they cause? Most of them have been permanantly turned off due to failure to do as the crooked politicos claimed.
They wait at the green [I do it for a three count] because that's usually the number of cars that blow the red light and if you're the one that honks at me for waiting you can expect a salute

Old 04-03-2008, 11:04 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
I love it when people say that drivers in Las Vegas are somehow worse than in other parts of the country. How many drivers in Las Vegas do you know of that DID NOT come from some other part of the country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: