Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 05:35 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,641,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
They wait at the green [I do it for a three count] because that's usually the number of cars that blow the red light and if you're the one that honks at me for waiting you can expect a salute
Well you are right that the delay gives you the opportunity to avoid all the red light runners. And we all know there are many. Instead when my light turns green I look both ways, go, and a quarter mile up the road I look in my mirror and the rest of the pack is still there. Why?

Your salute only opens you up to being shot at or any other form of road rage so common here. Do your thing, look straight ahead, dont make eye contact and mind your own business and maybe........just maybe.....you might survive this cesspool you so adore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I love it when people say that drivers in Las Vegas are somehow worse than in other parts of the country. How many drivers in Las Vegas do you know of that DID NOT come from some other part of the country?
You sure do have a good point there. Do they just turn sour when they get here? If so then why? Makes no sense.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:26 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,338,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
You sure do have a good point there. Do they just turn sour when they get here? If so then why? Makes no sense.
No they don't turn sour when they get here; they bring it with them. But the point is that Las Vegas drivers are no worse than you find anywhere these days. But here they come from many different places that all have different driving styles.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:38 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,184,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
No they don't turn sour when they get here; they bring it with them. But the point is that Las Vegas drivers are no worse than you find anywhere these days. But here they come from many different places that all have different driving styles.

Right on Buzz...folklore. The drivers of Las Vegas are middle of the pack. Better than many places...Boston comes to mind for the bottom...but not as good as LA.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:37 PM

8,041 posts, read 12,252,641 times
I've never experienced any traffic problems when I drove in Las Vegas ... except along & near the strip, which is always congested. The difference in comparison to other places is that Vegas doesn't have a "normal" rush hour/drive time. Because it's a 24 hour city, you will always have traffic, but it's not overly congested like other cities are in the morning & evening commute times.

Where I live (Phoenix), traffic is horrendous in the morning from about 5 AM to 10 AM, and then again from 2 PM to 8 PM. Friday's rush hour begins on Thursday! Phoenix is three times the size of Las Vegas, and really has more traffic & congestion during the times that are typical for a large city.

As far as bad drivers, they exist everywhere. One thing that Phoenix & Vegas have in common on the drivers is that many of them are from somewhere else. Both cities have a high transplant population, and lots of tourists also use the roads ... so you're bound to have all kinds of unique driving habits that frustrate everyone else.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:53 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,469,763 times
Quote:
Well you are right that the delay gives you the opportunity to avoid all the red light runners. And we all know there are many. Instead when my light turns green I look both ways, go, and a quarter mile up the road I look in my mirror and the rest of the pack is still there. Why?

Your salute only opens you up to being shot at or any other form of road rage so common here. Do your thing, look straight ahead, dont make eye contact and mind your own business and maybe........just maybe.....you might survive this cesspool you so adore.
C'mon desertsun, stop the drama and stop scaring all the new residents and nice tourists...!

Compared to some places, Las Vegas drivers and traffic is so much better. And compared to some other places, Las Vegas drivers and traffic is much worse.

Depends upon what you are used to, where you came from, etc.

Considering a lot of the "new" residents are transplanted Cali's and folks from all over the country and we have a lot of tourists on the road...just what is

A LAS VEGAS DRIVER anyway?

If you compare Las Vegas traffic and drivers to the NYC metro area and that of the Anaheim-San Diego areas ( I am familiar with those areas)...Las Vegas driving, drivers and traffic are a piece of cake!

Don't know about how much more wonderful traffic is in other parts of the country compared to LV...but I'm sure there are plenty of more places where it's a lot worse...

Last edited by MomMom; 04-04-2008 at 04:44 PM..

Old 04-04-2008, 03:59 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,977,927 times
drivers are same everywhere, except i believe everyone drives faster in vegas than in cleveland,,,,, must be because in cleveland, we have too many chuckholes.. and its either winter or orange barrel season.. construction here is horrifying.. it takes all year.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
drivers are same everywhere, except i believe everyone drives faster in vegas than in cleveland,,,,, must be because in cleveland, we have too many chuckholes.. and its either winter or orange barrel season.. construction here is horrifying.. it takes all year.
No.....not true. They drive much slower here. Where are all these speeders people talk about? First off how can one speed if all the lanes are packed? Average speed on any commerce street is 35. Average speed on 95 is 65. Average speed on 15 is 5 (five).

Places like NYC if you dont burn out when that light turns green you are bombarded with horns. You better be alert or you will not survive. Here the light turns green and everyone has this blank empty look on their face but dont go.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:31 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,469,763 times
Quote:
No.....not true. They drive much slower here. Where are all these speeders people talk about? First off how can one speed if all the lanes are packed? Average speed on any commerce street is 35. Average speed on 95 is 65. Average speed on 15 is 5 (five).

Places like NYC if you dont burn out when that light turns green you are bombarded with horns. You better be alert or you will not survive. Here the light turns green and everyone has this blank empty look on their face but dont go.
That's because they're comfy and all talking on their cell phones...

Old 04-05-2008, 02:28 AM

638 posts, read 2,242,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
I spent a summer in Cleveland and actually busted my tire hitting a pothole. I wasn't even going fast, I was pulling out of a shopping center, I must of smacked it just right. Indeed, the roads there are awful. I used to make the drive from Akron to Cleveland every other day. Traffic surely does not move as fast there as it does here, but the cops in Ohio actually pull over speeders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: