Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 04:03 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,008,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
The reason for the permit is to protect homeowners from mickey mouse work that can cause a fire hazard. Like it or not, the law was designed for a reason, along with all other types of building codes.

Yes the labor is expensive, but many people are not comfortable working with a blow torch to weld the piping to the gas line of the house.

Buy the water heater yourself and call plumbers and ask them their installation price. $100-150 is not unreasonable for someone to lift the water heater up for you and weld it to the gas line.

You can pull the permit at home depot. There is a computer that's right next to the contractor's purchase area where you pull the permit. Code enforcement comes to inspect the installation after it's done. They'll see if there's a strap and if it's welded properly. Takes less than 5 minutes.
You could just get the permit online.

Quote:
First, go to
Clark County, NV
and click the link to “Construction
Services Online,” located under
the “Online Services” button.
Then click the link to “Obtain
Water Heater or Water Softener
Permits.” Click the “OwnerBuilder”
button and fill in the form
fields with required information.
Your permit will be e-mailed to
you following payment with a
Mastercard or Visa credit card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 10:44 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,800,540 times
I hope any of you I can fix it people do not live around me Many states have now tightened up their standards concerning natural gas and propane use because their are enough amateurs out there who know enough to be dangerous. I am very surprised Nevada gas has not installed locked valves from their meters which you can not turn off. I know where I came from NYSE&G requires you to contact them to come out and shut off your gas before installing or repairing any appliance and have a qualified contractor according to their standards to do the repairs. Here are some hazards that do it yourself or Joe handyman do not think of. 1. Does the line going into your home have a Block and Bleed Valve. 2. Shutting off the gas is not the only step the line must be purged with Nitrogen because natural gas and propane is heavier than air and the purging part hose from the inside has to be put outside of the building so gas does not accumulate in the area you are working in. 3. All hand tools must be made of material which will not produce a spark so most of them are Brass including any brushes to clean threads. 4. Piping should be either schedule 80 black iron or stainless (best option) 4. Any Elbows should be welded and that is done in an area away from the gas source because Natural gas and Propane is very cold gasses and they corrode and rot the piped from the inside out due to condensation from the outside heat of the pipes and the first place it attacks and is the most vulnerable the threads because the pipe is not as thick due to the threading. 5. A soap or bubble test must be performed to check for any leaks once the work is done. This may sound overwhelming but a Qualified and Licensed Contractor can do the work with ease and do it correct. I am not surprised by Contractors doing price gouging and taking advantage of the general public they should be turned in to the Attorney General office and Better Business Bureau. Some times when laws are passed it works in advantage of the consumer and the Qualified and Licensed Contractor can not price gouge because the Utility company will take action.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:33 PM

687 posts, read 1,935,984 times
Locking the gas valve open at the meter does not sound like a good idea to me. In California, the gas company gives homeowners a free slotted tool to be able to turn the gas off in the event of an emergency. If you smell gas in the house or an earthquake ruptures the line or any number of other possibilities occur it would be very nice to have the ability to shut off the gas.

As far as replacing the hot water heater goes, Las Vegas is the first place I have lived in that requires a permit.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:34 AM

930 posts, read 1,810,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croce View Post

As far as replacing the hot water heater goes, Las Vegas is the first place I have lived in that requires a permit.

its called "get the money wherever you can" in a state with no local or state income taxes.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:48 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,415,099 times
Less than a month ago I had my water heater replace in my home in L.A. County. Yep, a permit had to be pulled to do the work. Same applies to Orange County. Heck in Orange County you have to pull a permit to replace your garbage disposal. That may be the same in other places to, I am too lazy to check right now but yeah, you gotta do it in the O.C. at least.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:17 PM

799 posts, read 703,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_A_Braun View Post
Less than a month ago I had my water heater replace in my home in L.A. County. Yep, a permit had to be pulled to do the work. Same applies to Orange County. Heck in Orange County you have to pull a permit to replace your garbage disposal. That may be the same in other places to, I am too lazy to check right now but yeah, you gotta do it in the O.C. at least.
You probably have to do it in L.A. county too if you change your garbage disposal. You ought to see what you have to go through if you need to replace your house a/c! Pre-inspection, post-inspection, and they look at stuff that is not even related to the a/c system!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: