Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 07:20 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times

Advertisements

Good luck! If it turns out Vegas isn't what you want, move on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 04:17 PM

505 posts, read 501,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Congrats. June 7th will mark 3 years for us. I hope you love it as much we do!
Nice! I'm keeping an open mind, it'll be different from what I know up here in Oregon for sure, but I'm able to find the good anywhere I'm at!

Old 01-07-2016, 08:34 PM

47 posts, read 63,420 times
Ajam, while googling for cirque show I happened upon this and thought it might be of some help to you.
Gay Vegas | Las Vegas for Gay + Lesbian Travelers | LVCVA

Old 01-08-2016, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangler View Post
Ajam, while googling for cirque show I happened upon this and thought it might be of some help to you.
Gay Vegas | Las Vegas for Gay + Lesbian Travelers | LVCVA
Thanks for that! I've been reading about activities and stuff to do in the LV area and it's getting me really excited! The last 5 months of school can't go by quick enough

Old 01-08-2016, 01:21 AM

23,206 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Just a warning! Don't go down to the Strip, Fri. or Sat. night, being provocatively dressed. A provocatively dressed nurse recently sued Metro Police, ($80k settlement) for detaining her for 2 hours, as they wrongly suspected she was a prostitute!

Another warning! This a very conservative city, underneath the neon and glitter. After all, this city was settled by Mormons, and they're still around, with their influence!

Welcome to Sin-less City!

Last edited by tijlover; 01-08-2016 at 01:39 AM..

Old 01-09-2016, 02:38 AM

Thanks for the early welcomes! I'm sure it's slow passing now, but before I know it I'll be getting all ready to go! It's exciting and nerve wracking, moving over 800 miles away from home; but I'm ready for the challenge

I did find out today the apartment complex I'm staying in for the duration of the internship is in the Paradise area (specifically around Silverado Ranch). So I suppose aside from my own research and fooling around on Google Maps, does anyone have any opinions on that area? Luckily I'm only about a 10 minute drive from the office for the company I'll be working for, so commute isn't a huge issue. But I'm looking forward to exploring once I get down there!

Thanks again!

Old 01-09-2016, 11:20 AM

15,822 posts, read 14,460,687 times
Oh get real, on Friday or Saturday nights 2/3rds of the women are provocatively dressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Just a warning! Don't go down to the Strip, Fri. or Sat. night, being provocatively dressed. A provocatively dressed nurse recently sued Metro Police, ($80k settlement) for detaining her for 2 hours, as they wrongly suspected she was a prostitute!

Another warning! This a very conservative city, underneath the neon and glitter. After all, this city was settled by Mormons, and they're still around, with their influence!

Welcome to Sin-less City!

Old 02-07-2016, 12:37 AM

33 posts, read 40,620 times
Default Vegas is nuts

I just moved back to Vegas this December after being gone since 1989. The place is still friggen' nuts.
Coming from Bend, Or is going to be a culture shock. I have a friend who lives in Grants Pass and for a short time when I was young, I lived with cousins in Portland & then Dallas, Or.
I was in the Army & don't work anymore so I can give any insight on if there are adequete jobs in your field of interest but I CAN tell you that the minimum wage in Las Vegas is a ridiculous $7 HR.
So if you are going to transfer to the Hilton out here, *please* make sure you check if your wage will be effected.

I moved back here from Northern CA and it is, infact, a bit cheaper to live here, but depending on what you make, you may have to have a roommate.
I only make $950 a month & i'm still stuck at my friends parents' house because I can't afford to live anywhere on my own & I don't know anyone I can trust to live with, lol.

There's always been prostitutes, drugs & crime here but it used to be in certain areas. Now it is everywhere.....literally.
Areas that used to be considered "safe" aren't anymore.
Also, you should be aware that even if an area doesn't look "ghetto" or "dangerous". it may very well be because the City of Las Vegas upkeeps most of the impovrished areas / parks / sidewalks / trash service / Gov't housing so that there is no decline in tourism. So please ask people's opinions who live here on the safety of an area before signing any lease.
If you are interested in knowing what streets / areas to avoid moving to, the cost of rent & food or have any other questions about Vegas or the like, feel free to contact me.
Hope this helped.

Old 02-07-2016, 12:39 AM

33 posts, read 40,620 times
[quote=MLBFANATIC;42919128]I just moved back to Vegas this December after being gone since 1989. The place is still friggen' nuts.
Coming from Bend, Or is going to be a culture shock. I have a friend who lives in Grants Pass and for a short time when I was young, I lived with cousins in Portland & then Dallas, Or.
I was in the Army & don't work anymore so I can give any insight on if there are adequete jobs in your field of interest but I CAN tell you that the minimum wage in Las Vegas is a ridiculous $7 HR.
So if you are going to transfer to the Hilton out here, *please* make sure you check if your wage will be effected.

I moved back here from Northern CA and it is, infact, a bit cheaper to live here, but depending on what you make, you may have to have a roommate.
I only make $950 a month & i'm still stuck at my friends parents' house because I can't afford to live anywhere on my own & I don't know anyone I can trust to live with, lol.

There's always been prostitutes, drugs & crime here but it used to be in certain areas. Now it is everywhere.....literally.
Areas that used to be considered "safe" aren't anymore.
Also, you should be aware that even if an area doesn't look "ghetto" or "dangerous". it may very well be because the City of Las Vegas upkeeps most of the impovrished areas / parks / sidewalks / trash service / Gov't housing so that there is no decline in tourism. So please ask people's opinions who live here on the safety of an area before signing any lease.
If you are interested in knowing what streets / areas to avoid moving to, the cost of rent & food or have any other questions about Vegas or the like, feel free to contact me.
Hope this helped.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:23 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,335,862 times
OK, I am doing some research on living in LV and would love an update from the OP. How is it going?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas