Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 04:39 PM

413 posts, read 1,584,817 times

Advertisements

Agree with the above post completely. Many if not most of the drivers here have no respect for others and are so self-absorbed as to create an extremely dangerous situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 04:53 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,742,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
Perhaps my message was mistaken if it came off as California as the prime example of safe and educated drivers. I grew up in the Midwest and was referencing that in terms of my experience, not California.

Anyways, to correct some facts, California spends far less per pupil than northeastern states, and most Midwestern states. In addition, More than half of all new licenses in California go to illegal immigrants. This is not an educated populus by any means, and contributes to dangerous roads.
NYC spends more than virtually anywhere except DC. Result still stinks. It would seem it has more to do with demographics and size then anything else.

Old 12-15-2015, 05:02 PM
EA EA started this thread

6,791 posts, read 7,086,089 times
If your car did not malfunction, and you hit someone, you are 100% the cause of the wreck. It's not an accident, it's negligence. If I had it my way, it'd be criminal negligence. If children were in either car involved, tack on child endangerment. If people die, homicide. There's absolutely no reason for 99% of wrecks.
Sometimes, a wheel falls off, or an electric steering rack fails, things that that, where it's a malfunction where you shouldn't be charged with negligence, but every other instance, absolutely.
If you're drunk or high and wreck, you shouldn't get to see daylight for a long time. If you kill someone, life in prison no parole.

Prone to passing out from diabeetus? Take the bus, tubby.
Slow reflexes? Call a cab, bub.

It's a sickening problem that's completely preventable.

Old 12-15-2015, 05:04 PM

10,865 posts, read 16,942,809 times
You have essentially described how Germany handles driving and licenses.

It is a JOY to drive in Germany.

Old 12-15-2015, 05:07 PM
EA EA started this thread

6,791 posts, read 7,086,089 times
Here we inspect cars in a laughable, useless manor.
Does it have a muffler? Congratulations, you are safe to drive on the roads.

In Germany, they inspect everything like the brakes, tires, headlights, chassis, suspension and then some.

Old 12-15-2015, 05:09 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,056,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulwara Road View Post
Las Vegas has the worst drivers I have ever encountered, anywhere.

Some of the accidents I have seen here are just mind boggling.
Yup. I've seen some that I could not even figure out how it happened.

Old 12-15-2015, 05:11 PM

10,865 posts, read 16,942,809 times
And getting a license is serious business over there. Furthermore, they treat it like a privilege -- not a freakin' right.

Old 12-15-2015, 05:18 PM

122 posts, read 123,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Here we inspect cars in a laughable, useless manor.
Does it have a muffler? Congratulations, you are safe to drive on the roads.

In Germany, they inspect everything like the brakes, tires, headlights, chassis, suspension and then some.
Where I am from in Australia there is a mandatory annual check on the safety of a car - if it doesn't pass you can't register it until you get it fixed.

And you don't see people texting while driving (massive fine (eg $250-$500) + loss of demerit points), drink driving (random breath testing and a .05 BAC limit), speeding (speed cameras everywhere) or going through red lights (red light/speed cameras at a lot of intersections).

They also have an option fitted to every car that everyone uses - it is a thing called an indicator, and everyone uses this little device when they are changing lanes or making a turn. If you don't use this when turning or changing lanes it is a massive fine and a loss of demerit points.

Old 12-15-2015, 05:31 PM

927 posts, read 877,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulwara Road View Post
They also have an option fitted to every car that everyone uses - it is a thing called an indicator, and everyone uses this little device when they are changing lanes or making a turn.
Haha

Old 12-15-2015, 05:37 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,899,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Sometimes, a wheel falls off, or an electric steering rack fails, things that that, where it's a malfunction where you shouldn't be charged with negligence, but every other instance, absolutely.
One could argue that many mechanical failures are preventable too.

I just checked the oil dip stick on my truck. Oil did not even register on the stick. Just had oil changed by a shop not that long ago. It took one quart just to get a minimal reading on the dip stick. I guess i will be checking after every oil change now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: