Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 10:25 PM

39 posts, read 223,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
I can tell you that Geico is the most expensive insurance agency I've ever called and got a quote from. They like to tout that they are cheap...NOT!

In Vegas we paid around $100 per month for two vehicles for insurance (State Farm). One is a minivan that's about 4 months old and the other is a pick-up that's used for work and is about 6 years old.

thanks.. will check it out!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 02:26 PM

15 posts, read 88,521 times
I don't remember dollar amounts but our car insurance in Miami was much higher than it is here in Vegas.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:12 AM

40 posts, read 219,184 times
Yes it is overrated..... If You've never been here stay away.....LOL
actually We lived here 10 years than left for 2 and came back because you get used to the 24/7 lifestyle......went crazy back home.....to quite, to slow, to boring........

for family life it can suck esp. school wise.... it is not a "family " town.... the 24/7 can have both of You working strange hours.... We own our own business this time around and that makes all the difference (anywhere You live)
almost everyone I seen complain and leave comes back.....

Look they are tearing this town down so You don't want to move here....just visit, leave Your money and go home to earn more.....LOL
http://why-not-las-vegas.com/pix3/StardustD6.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-31-2007, 04:35 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,417 times
It's easy for Vegas to suck you in. I hate the desert, but man, it only takes one night in Vegas for me to wish I lived there. I could never live there, but the attraction for me stems from the entertainment and night life. They are a major attraction for me, and I don't even care that much about gambling.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:39 PM

30 posts, read 203,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
I can tell you that Geico is the most expensive insurance agency I've ever called and got a quote from. They like to tout that they are cheap...NOT!

This is so true,, I had Geico from 98-2004, I was paying about $1400 per 6 months which is ridiculously high,, just for the hell of it I called Progressive
and for the exact same policy it was literalty cut in half! I immediatly cancelled my Geico and switched to Progressive,, 15 minutes will save you 15% percent my ass

Old 02-01-2007, 10:42 AM

15 posts, read 88,521 times
Before we moved here, everyone we spoke to who lived in Vegas loved it. Friends who come to visit us tell us they love it here and if it was possible, would move here. My neighbors also love it. Yet I hear such negativity on this board. What I am curious about is: Which state or city is wonderful? And if it is that great, why do you not live there???

When my husband and I were planning a move from Miami, we made a list of what we felt would make us happy as far as the characteristics in an area and narrowed it down to the Southwest. We chose Vegas and feel we made the right choice. If we were unhappy here, we would consider moving. Since we both work out of our home office, we could live anywhere in the US but Vegas fills our needs and here we stay.

No place is perfect and compromises are necessary! I miss the beauty of living on the water and the fantastic Miami winters but I love the mountains, the dry weather and lack of hurricanes.

Old 02-06-2007, 01:40 PM

1 posts, read 7,073 times
Default Education

Hello, I am a high school student in St.George Utah, not to far away from Vegas. I was wondering what life would be like for a college student in Las Vegas. I want to study at UNLV for 4-6 years and I wasn't sure if it was a good place to live. I love it every time I come there, but my mother grew up in Vegas and told me that it wasn't a good place to live, so I am not really sure. I would love the thought of living here. Would it be a good place to study?

Old 02-06-2007, 10:07 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,686,340 times
Its only a good place to study if you want to major in something that has to do with a hotel. Otherwise...

Old 02-07-2007, 01:45 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by church_tm View Post
Hello, I am a high school student in St.George Utah, not to far away from Vegas. I was wondering what life would be like for a college student in Las Vegas. I want to study at UNLV for 4-6 years and I wasn't sure if it was a good place to live. I love it every time I come there, but my mother grew up in Vegas and told me that it wasn't a good place to live, so I am not really sure. I would love the thought of living here. Would it be a good place to study?
You live in such a great area. If i were you, i would stay put.
What area did your Mom live in? If she lived in a less desirable area, that would be one reason she would try to persuade you to stay in Utah.
The area around UNLV isn't the greatest, alot of crime and run down neighborhoods. The ultimate decision of course would be yours. Visit the area of interest and find out for yourself.
There is also a perfectly good college in Cedar City and alot nicer and safer.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:39 PM

464 posts, read 753,013 times
i'm a college student in las vegas and it is a lot of fun, i only go to the community college which has it's different campuses all over the city, but unlv is a really good school to go to, a lot of my friends go there, their always building on and adding new courses. trying to find a parking spot is like finding a needle in a hay stack but thats the only critisism that i have. and as of housing i deffinitly wouldn't stay around the campus unless in the dorms it's not the worst part of town but it's not the nicests either, i would suggest finding an apartment or something over in the south part of the city like in green valley or silverado ranch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas