Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2011, 10:43 AM

10,865 posts, read 16,922,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
We prefer the LAND to the WORLD......
Why? I'd much rather be in Orlando than Anaheim.

At least in Orlando, it's a quick puddle-jumper down to Key West. Sell the Disney tickets and blow the proceeds at the Green Parrot.

I'd rather chew on tin foil while listening to Montovani than spend 10 seconds at DisneyPark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 11:01 AM

26,273 posts, read 8,377,852 times
I don't look at Las Vegas through rose tinted glasses. I read all the different threads here
and elsewhere. It is still the greatest place to visit I've ever found, and I've been to a lot
of different places. We're a bit restricted by my wife's elderly mother living with us, but,
when in the fullness of time she pops her clogs, we'll visit for longer.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:25 AM

670 posts, read 1,099,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
A nice place really for the young crowd for sure. As you get older woudl you want to endure 110 degree dry heat for 5 months? statistics don't lie. per capita it is the most crime ridden city; gambling, prostitution, drugs. But hey we live for excitement, so the heck with that, live it up. roll em' shake em' and win. but not 365 days a yr. A week or two is nice for me
A cursory Google search finds that Las Vegas rarely ranks in the top 20 for crime per capita of large US Cities, much less anywhere near #1.

Sounds like you're trying to correlate a moral obligation of gambling, drinking and a more open sexual environment to high crime and lack of safety. The correlation, in Las Vegas, does not hold true.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:16 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,822,250 times
Quote:
statistics don't lie. per capita it is the most crime ridden city
Think again: America's Most Dangerous Cities | Forbes: America's Most Dangerous Cities | Comcast.net

Old 10-05-2011, 12:18 PM

787 posts, read 1,770,682 times
Quote:
A nice place really for the young crowd for sure. As you get older woudl you want to endure 110 degree dry heat for 5 months? statistics don't lie. per capita it is the most crime ridden city; gambling, prostitution, drugs. But hey we live for excitement, so the heck with that, live it up. roll em' shake em' and win. but not 365 days a yr. A week or two is nice for me

Wow, people are wrong on here often, but this is particularly extreme. Not sure which of the following applies to you:
1) You just didn't do your research, and are willing to take the gamble that your hunch is correct, hence the ignorant post.
2) You are intentionally trying to deceive people, for some unknown reason.
3) You're one of those people who's too stupid to realize when you're wrong or uneducated about a topic.

You're right that statistics don't lie (assuming correct execution, as well as correct interpretation of correlation vs. causality (which is where most people get all screwed up)). So, please, show me some data that shows 110 degree whether for 5 months? It's usually a few weeks, if that, in July/August. You can check historical weather data here. Please show your own source for true statistics (ie, expected-value with some well-defined standard-deviation).

I'll let other people chime in further about your crime stats, as they're obviously absurd too. Maybe you found something that took the Vegas valley's overall absolute crime numbers and divided that by the number of people living in just what is technically the City of Las Vegas (which is about 25% of the 2 million people that live in the valley....furthermore, there are probably hundreds of thousands of visitors at any given time, seeing as we get 40M visitors a year.....do your homework).

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for now and classify you as type #1 from above. Please don't prove otherwise.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:53 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,822,250 times
Hey Dyn. I think you have another candidate for Pres.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:56 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,548,776 times
60 pages? Damn. Of course living in Las Vegas is overrated. Not because there's anything wrong with it but because people imagine living here being nothing like what it really is.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:59 PM

270 posts, read 532,858 times
In answer to original poster's question: Yes.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:36 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,899,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
60 pages? Damn. Of course living in Las Vegas is overrated. Not because there's anything wrong with it but because people imagine living here being nothing like what it really is.
LOL...yeah 60 pages since 2006. One thing is for sure...Las Vegas keeps 'em guessing!

Old 10-05-2011, 09:14 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,392,716 times
I watched an episode of Cops (in LV) on TV last night...not sure of which neighborhood...Hell if I know what the attraction is...other than gambling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas